Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clerks 3 Really This Time

Started by SteveDave, July 20, 2021, 03:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyo van Ramming

I was going to watch Tapeheads :(

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Goldentony on July 22, 2021, 04:07:40 PM
He needs to fuck off trying MALLRATS any more, nobody gives a fuck. He got a fucking tenth anniversay edition DVD and then a blu ray out of what should be as well remembered as Tapeheads.

Tapeheads is cooler because one of the 'fly girls' in the adverts was in Brides of Funkenstein and another was in Fanny.

Goldentony

I see the tapeheads police are out in full force, typical

bakabaka

Last night a friend recommended Smith's latest to me in glowing terms. Surprised, I watched the first 10 minutes before giving up and getting stoned to remove the memory. I didn't know about Smith's addiction, so maybe I should have done it the other way round. I never watched the original Masters of the Universe so can't say if this is any worse, but despite a very impressive cast list (thanks Covid) this reboot is unwatchable

Sebastian Cobb

The original Masters of the Universe is worth a watch.

Famous Mortimer

I just read an article about the new He-Man show, and it's embarrassing - not for Mattel, who are clever-ish toy manufacturers, but for Smith, who admits to not being a fan of it as a kid. Why fucking remake it then? Why not pass and do literally anything else?

But it's not even that. It's the way they talk about a show designed entirely for the purpose of selling toys to children, as if it's some great work of imaginative fiction. Smith, as knowledgeable about online arguments as any director, professes a sort of surprise that people would be upset, as if there was ever any doubt that this would be the response (because it always is, for everything).

Or perhaps I'm the one being worked. Am I expected to feel sympathy for the bold creative team and now go and watch a few episodes? It's possible.

I watched the documentary about the history of He-Man from a year or so back, and it was really interesting. I even heard a lot of good things (and almost no negative online-ness) about that new She-Ra show, as LGBT+ friendly as any kids cartoon has ever been. But this is now the subject of discourse, and we're going to get some serious think pieces about it by the end of the weekend. Fuck the lot of it.

madhair60

the new MOTU is very good to be honest - not ashamed of being for children, for once

Noodle Lizard

I'd actually completely forgotten he was now a director-for-hire on various comic book nerdish TV reboots. That's probably about where he'll stay, with the occasional vanity project that's surely only watched by his core fanbase.

It's a shame because I  think he really is (or was) capable of making really good films. He seems to make all the wrong decisions artistically (though I'm sure "financially" is a different story). I wonder if he'll ever regain cult respectability among younger generations in the decades to come.

mothman

Superman was possibly his big chance to do that, and he blew it or it was blown for him (his tales of meeting Jon Peters suggests it was never really a viable project even if it did get as far as Nicolas Cage having costume tests), and that was the best part of twenty years ago...

Noodle Lizard

Eh, I'd argue he had the capability to make truly good films with his own resources (especially with the Weinsteins' support, but that's obviously done for). I think he came close with Dogma, but it's worth remembering he was barely 30 making that. He could've done so much better with more experience, I think. He was a good screenwriter, first and foremost, his films back then were often let down by dull directing and some poor casting choices.

The Front-And-Center Smith that we see now is almost a different species, but with the money and relative star power that went into something as ghastly as Yoga Hosers or Hollyweed, he could've at least attempted to make something half decent. He seems to have given up on the idea that he ever really had any talent, so everything he does now is self-referential and faux-self-deprecating nonsense that could only ever appeal to people with a considerable sunk cost in the View Askew/Smodco echo chambers. The original Jay & Silent Bob movie back in 2001 was a bit too much of that - impenetrable to anyone not overly familiar with his first few films, and before internet fandom was quite what it is now - so it's a shame that he seems to be going all-in on that sort of thing now at the expense of even trying to do something substantial. At least Red State, or even Jersey Girl and Zack And Miri were admirable attempts at telling stories people could actually relate to and enjoy on their own merits, flawed as they were.

It's just a disappointing tale. Read the screenplay for Clerks - you'd think that 20-year-old screenwriter had a bright future.

sutin

I mostly love everything up to and including Clerks II. After that it's mostly bad except Red State, which I thought was great and a weird fluke.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: bakabaka on July 24, 2021, 08:32:08 PM
I never watched the original Masters of the Universe so can't say if this is any worse, but despite a very impressive cast list (thanks Covid) this reboot is unwatchable
I did watch the original as a kid, although I don't remember it with any particular affection. I watched the new one in its entirety the other day. Half-heartedly, perhaps (I had nothing better to do) but I clearly can't agree that it's unwatchable. While I didn't think it was brilliant, it did make some bold choices, so credit to Smith, if those were his doing. It reminds me a bit of the Samurai Jack sequel a few years ago.

Clerks 2 was just two hours of him bragging about rimming his wife.

mothman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 26, 2021, 01:07:08 AM
The original Jay & Silent Bob movie back in 2001 was a bit too much of that - impenetrable to anyone not overly familiar with his first few films, and before internet fandom was quite what it is now - so it's a shame that he seems to be going all-in on that sort of thing now at the expense of even trying to do something substantial.

If things had turned out differently, then J&SBSB would have been viewed by posterity as what it was meant to be - a capping-off of the ViewAskewniverse, a thank-you to the loyal fans, whatever. Instead it's now just the first of many sprawling self-indulgences. Though even then it felt like a bit of a retrograde step when compared to the intricacies and ambition of Dogma (whether that had been itself adequately realised or not).

JamesTC

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 26, 2021, 03:36:18 PM

He was married to a donkey?

Shaky

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 26, 2021, 03:36:18 PM

I like Clerks 2, although it obviously falls quite a bit short of the original. Smith at least gets the older Dante and Randall reasonably spot on. I'm fairly confident, whatever the state of Part 3, it'll be worth catching up with the characters again and it'll still seem like them. Maybe that's all he's good for these days.

St_Eddie

Clerks 2 received a ten minute standing ovation during its conclusion, upon the movie premiering at the Cannes film festival.  Clerks 2.  The movie where a man fucks a donkey.  Ten entire minutes of elated and passionate adulation for this apparent transcendent expression of artistic intent.  The mind boggles.

frajer

Quote from: Shaky on July 27, 2021, 05:01:03 AM
I like Clerks 2, although it obviously falls quite a bit short of the original. Smith at least gets the older Dante and Randall reasonably spot on. I'm fairly confident, whatever the state of Part 3, it'll be worth catching up with the characters again and it'll still seem like them. Maybe that's all he's good for these days.

I really like Clerks 2, in my mind it's definitely Kevin Smith's last decent film. Not a patch on the original as you say, but well-made, entertaining and, crucially, feels like it has something to say. Lack of focused ambition, failed potential and the realisation that the world doesn't bow down to you like you assumed it would in your youth is all resonant stuff and I think it's explored well.

Also love how bittersweet the ending is. Deciding to do something that's not as shit as what they're currently doing, achieving that, and then the low-key awareness it's probably going to be the rest of their lives.

It was the forced and unfunny wackiness of Jay & Silent Bob Reboot which made me dislike that film but I thought the emotional scenes were actually ok, and the 10-min sequel to Chasing Amy near the end was great. If Smith's aiming for something more like that then I reckon it could be good.

Putting it on record: Am definitely up for Clerks 3, lads.

sutin

Clerks 2 is one of his best films IMO. I could live without 'The Donkey Show' but the rest is great.

madhair60

I like that scene for introducing me to that wretched Samantha Fox song they play over it, which is an absolute guilty pleasure

Goldentony

he should have seriously been stripped and beaten in the street for reboot

BritishHobo

Was Reboot really truly awful then? I've not watched it yet, and I've not veen expecting it to be very good, but I at least thought there'd be some entertainment value in the Askewniverse references. Is it basically irredeemable?

Spiteface

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 27, 2021, 09:47:45 PM
Was Reboot really truly awful then? I've not watched it yet, and I've not veen expecting it to be very good, but I at least thought there'd be some entertainment value in the Askewniverse references. Is it basically irredeemable?

It's fine. I don't think it's as bad as some in here do, as the Chasing Amy stuff got to me almost as much as Randal's jail speech in Clerks 2, to this day I get emotional watching that. Randal is pretty much the main character of Clerks 3 so I hope Jeff Anderson is good in this.

Also, Chris Jericho plays a KKK member in Reboot.

SteveDave

I believe it to be a great injustice that Jeff Anderson isn't a big star.

St_Eddie

It's really, really, really fucking bad.

JamesTC

Easily the worst of the Askewniverse films but it has some good bits. Imagine Strike Back but even more cameos and even less plot and more disconnected scenes.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: JamesTC on July 27, 2021, 11:03:56 PM
Easily the worst of the Askewniverse films but it has some good bits.
I must have seen an edited version with all those cut out.

Goldentony

reboot is a work without worth, its free of anything that you could argue makes it something other than a mistake, borderline generated