Author Topic: people on here with a genuine/serious love of UK 80s pop  (Read 2367 times)

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
Re: people on here with a genuine/serious love of UK 80s pop
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 09:39:47 PM »
I was born in 1981, so a lot of the pop from the first few years of the decade was before my time. When I was about 14/15, I was so sick of the Britpop stuff on radio that I wound up going back to stuff as old as I was.

I was born in 1966 and was (and still) in love with the 1960s even though I was shitting my nappy and more interested in what Donald Duck was up to rather than Donald "Duck" Dunn for most of the time during that three year window. I think it's very common. I wonder if this nostalgia for the 'era you were born in' phenomenon will fade away as there is far more choice today and everything is so fragmented? I only really like early eighties UK pop. It generally starts to leave me a bit cold around the end of 1984.

I'm going to stick my neck out here. I used to really love the album Quick Step & Sidekick - The Thompson Twins  I know it's not Dare but any other takers?

the science eel

• married to Su Pollard for 8 years
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 09:41:20 PM »
My first ever gig!

I like 'Love On Your Side' quite a bit, and I heard another early one recently on the radio and it sounded great - can't remember the title right now...

Brundle-Fly

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »
Wow! There you go. It's quite an odd pop album. Watching Me Watching You is mental.

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2021, 09:44:12 PM »
Oh yes, and 'Wonderful Life' by Black is also one of the best songs ever written.

xxxx xxx x xxx

• Can we have a quick burn, sir?
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 09:47:07 PM »
The Thompson Twins were a great live band in about 1981 when they were a seven-piece and they used to hand out percussion instruments to the audience to play along with them.  They lost the plot completely when they stripped down to a three-piece.

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 09:48:46 PM »
Scritti Politti's Cupid & Psyche 85 is one of the greatest pop albums ever made. That is all.

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 09:52:31 PM »
I'm going to stick my neck out here. I used to really love the album Quick Step & Sidekick - The Thompson Twins  I know it's not Dare but any other takers?

Big fan of Quick Step & Sidekick & Into The Gap era TT, had all the 12"s and remixes of the singles too (excellent b-side instrumental versions usually), Alex Sadkin was a brilliant producer and brought out the best in Tom Bailey.

I've never got the derision with them, still sound really good to me when I listen now.

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 09:55:03 PM »
I think it's a fine pop album. 'If You Were Here' and 'Love Lies Bleeding' are great and I did admire the cheek of that bit in 'Love On Your Side' where he sings "... I played all you my favourite records", followed by a blast of the synth hook from one of their older songs ('In the Name of Love').

non capisco

• Ooh hark at him, he thinks he's DAVID ESSEX!
    • https://twitter.com/IsThisRoss
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2021, 09:58:17 PM »
Scritti Politti's Cupid & Psyche 85 is one of the greatest pop albums ever made. That is all.

I've never been able to get on with Green Gartside's voice. Everyone seems to love 'The Word Girl' but it sounds like the theme music from QI to me with a milksop singing over it. Even though I can recognise Neon Indian (who I absolutely love) has clearly taken a lot from the Scrits and sounds a bit like Green vocally. Dunno.

Been listening to Haircut 100 since the latest ep of Chart Music where Neil swoons over Nick Heyward. 'Love Plus One' and 'Favourite Shirts' are indeed boss as fuck.

the science eel

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 09:58:58 PM »
I think it's a fine pop album. 'If You Were Here' and 'Love Lies Bleeding' are great and I did admire the cheek of that bit in 'Love On Your Side' where he sings "... I played all you my favourite records", followed by a blast of the synth hook from one of their older songs ('In the Name of Love').

Yes!

'If You Were Here' was the one I heard again lately and it's pretty good. It reminds me of a The The track somehow, 'This Is The Day' or something else from the same era - very similar sounds and mood.

the science eel

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 09:59:47 PM »
I've never been able to get on with Green Gartside's voice. Everyone seems to love 'The Word Girl' but it sounds like the theme music from QI to me with a milksop singing over it.

Been listening to Haircut 100 since the latest ep of Chart Music where Neil swoons over Nick Heyward. 'Love Plus One' and 'Favourite Shirts' are indeed boss as fuck.

They're both excellent tunes, and he went on to do some equally fine solo things. 'Blue Hat For A Blue Day' is a peach.

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 10:00:53 PM »
Associates' Sulk is bizarre and brilliant. It has fantastic hit singles like 'Party Fears Two' and 'Club Country', the story behind its creation is hilarious (massive expenses, whippets in hotel suites, guitars urinated into) and there's a bit in one song where Billy does what sounds like an underwater Sean Connery impression. Plus, look at his angelic features and how incredibly fucked Rankine looks on the cover. What more could I say?

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 10:07:20 PM »
Everyone seems to love 'The Word Girl' but it sounds like the theme music from QI

Ha ha, I never noticed that but you're quite right.
The dub on b-side with Ranking Ann was good too

non capisco

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2021, 10:09:23 PM »
Agree on The Associates, Egyptian Feast! 'Party Fears Two' is a phenomenal song.

An undersung early 80s pop album I keep going back to is 'From A To B' by New Musik. 'Living By Numbers' was a minor hit but songs like Sanctuary and This World Of Water should have been much bigger. I'd say it was because they looked like a right bunch of nerdy pilchards but christ knows that never stopped OMD.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 10:26:39 PM »

Correct

xxxx xxx x xxx

• Can we have a quick burn, sir?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »
Songs To Remember!

Neomod

• What's it Called . . . Cumbernauld!
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 10:42:32 PM »

Yeah, that album's a banger. Saw them twice on that tour. Firstly at the Brighton Top Rank and then dragged two school mates to the Hammersmith Palais for the final gig. I even had that stoopid Tom Bailey cut with the two tone colour.

Anyway, I'll just leave this here.

The Associates Skipping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Hccc3xqeA

Oh and I second most of the bands already mentioned and will add ACT. Still a favourite from the era.

ACT Snobbery and Decay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_DHWJ_iOI

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:46:08 PM by Neomod »

Brundle-Fly

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2021, 01:41:19 AM »
They lost the plot completely when they stripped down to a three-piece.

I'm sure their bank managers would disagree there.

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2021, 07:52:35 AM »
Yeah, that album's a banger. Saw them twice on that tour. Firstly at the Brighton Top Rank and then dragged two school mates to the Hammersmith Palais for the final gig. I even had that stoopid Tom Bailey cut with the two tone colour.

The Associates Skipping

Came here to post that myself - it's absolutely cracking, isn't it?!

Oh and I second most of the bands already mentioned and will add ACT. Still a favourite from the era.

ACT Snobbery and Decay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_DHWJ_iOI

On a Claudia Brücken-related note:

Propaganda - Duel

Also a big fan of this sleazy 80s classic:

Lords of the New Church - Dance with Me

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2021, 07:55:58 AM »

The Associates Skipping

Is that Michael Dempsey?  A very much underated bassist.

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2021, 07:56:53 AM »
I was born in 1966 and was (and still) in love with the 1960s even though I was shitting my nappy and more interested in what Donald Duck was up to rather than Donald "Duck" Dunn for most of the time during that three year window. I think it's very common. I wonder if this nostalgia for the 'era you were born in' phenomenon will fade away as there is far more choice today and everything is so fragmented? I only really like early eighties UK pop. It generally starts to leave me a bit cold around the end of 1984.

all my favourite stuff (and the stuff that fascinates me most) is from around when I was born. I think it's because it's old enough to be respected but young enough to look good. Like for me, films like Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, Back to the Future etc. Older films than that just looked cheesy, and newer films were obviously influenced by them. I have a real feel for early 80s metal, rock, pop.
And I think our birth era fascinates us because we saw that world fade away throughout childhood.

Neomod

• What's it Called . . . Cumbernauld!
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2021, 09:17:04 AM »

Propaganda - Duel

Yaas! I think I was really into that pristine production sound at the time having come out of an -ahem- gritty period listening to Oi.

Could be. My attention was elsewhere.[1]

1. Martha Ladly looking insouciant

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »
The Buggles - The Age Of Plastic

Sounds like what people of the 70's thought the future would sound like. There's Video Killed The Radio Star the the almost forgotton follow up hit Living in The Plastic Age.

SpiderChrist

• "the law of averages says you'll survive"
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2021, 09:29:56 AM »
Came here to post that myself - it's absolutely cracking, isn't it?!

Propaganda - Duel

Oh fuck how did I forget that? Still have my 12” of that from when it came out. A majestic tune.

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2021, 09:33:26 AM »
Fun fact: he and drummer Stephen Goulding (who had also been in the Rumour in the late 70s and later played on the Cure's 'Let's Go to Bed') also did a stint as Roxy Music's rhythm section during the promotion for the 'Avalon' album - you can see the pair of them in the video for the title track.

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
Agree on Lexicon of Love and Cupid & Psyche being stone cold 80s classics. Sparkle in the Rain really sags on the second half of the disk, but that's maybe because the first side is absolutely packed with monumental bangers.

I'd like to add Hunting High and Low by A-Ha. Very cinematic and not the straightforward twee chart pop you'd expect from exquisitely beautiful chart botherers.

I was always put off Human League by the burgundy Y cardy wearing fops who posed around the 6th form common room record player playing air keyboards on their legs to "Love Action" whilst checking out each other's floppy fringes and painstakingly rouged cheeks. I've since come to realise what a great band they were.

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »
With a-ha, I only have a compilation and occasionally feel like I should dig a bit deeper - at the time, aged six/seven, I dismissed them as a band for lasses, but with the benefit of age I can see they were excellent musicians and Harket had a great voice. I watched some MTV Europe 'Unplugged' show by them, from maybe 10 years ago, and their stuff worked well in that context and ol' Morten was still in fine voice. Still a very good looking chap too.

non capisco

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »
I saw a photo recently where they'd reunited him and the woman from the 'Take On Me' video in the same cafe. He looks exactly the fucking same, the handsome ageless bastard!

(I should point out I mean he looks the same as the bits where he's not a drawing.)

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »
From A to B by New Musik is a bit of an under-rated classic of early 80s pop

The Mollusk

• ♫ The incredible edible ... rump roast! ♫
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2021, 10:48:55 AM »
I was born in 1966 and was (and still) in love with the 1960s even though I was shitting my nappy and more interested in what Donald Duck was up to rather than Donald "Duck" Dunn for most of the time during that three year window.

This is such a great sentence.

Tags: