Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Official Secrets Act changes could see journalists jailed for up to 14 years

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 20, 2021, 07:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Press Gazette :

QuoteThe Home Office consultation (which closes on Thursday 22 July) suggests journalists should be treated in the same way as those who leak information and those committing espionage offences.

It also looked at whether maximum sentences should be increased from two to 14 years.

The Home Office said it does "not consider that there is necessarily a distinction in severity between espionage and the most serious unauthorised disclosures, in the same way that there was in 1989".

"Although there are differences in the mechanics of and motivations behind espionage and unauthorised disclosure offences, there are cases where an unauthorised disclosure may be as or more serious, in terms of intent and/or damage," it said.

"For example, documents made available online can now be accessed and utilised by a wide range of hostile actors simultaneously, whereas espionage will often only be to the benefit of a single state or actor."...

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/official-secrets-act-reform-harsher-penalties-for-journalists/

In the Guardian, two Duncan Campbells write the following:

Quote...The Home Office now wants harder and more extensive secrecy laws that would have the effect of deterring sources, editors and reporters, making them potentially subject to uncontrolled official bans not approved by a court, and punished much more severely if they do not comply. In noisy political times, a government consultation issued two months ago has had worryingly little attention. Although portrayed as countering hostile activity by state actors, the new laws would, if passed, ensnare journalists and sources whose job is reporting "unauthorised disclosures" that are in the public interest.

Endorsed by the home secretary, Priti Patel, the consultation argues that press disclosures can be worse than spying, because the work of a foreign spy "will often only be to the benefit of a single state or actor".

Calling for parliament to consider "increased maximum sentences", the Home Office claims that there is now not necessarily a "distinction in severity between espionage and the most serious unauthorised disclosures", including "onward disclosure" in the press. Journalism could even create "far more serious damage" than a spy. Yet the 66-page document does not mention "journalism" once, and refers only to "onward disclosure ... without authorisation"...

The consultation, which closes at 11:45pm on the 22nd July, is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/legislation-to-counter-state-threats

BlodwynPig

Zetetic

The Ombudsman

There is going to be a referendum on capital punishment isn't there.

How do I leave?

Buelligan

chveik

i wouldn't be against it in principle but it sounds like it's the good kind of journalists that will be targeted.

Thomas

Quote from: chveik on July 20, 2021, 09:45:16 PM
i wouldn't be against it in principle but it sounds like it's the good kind of journalists that will be targeted.

I think that is the principle.

chveik

Thomas

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Priti Patel should have gone to prison.

Yes this is all a part of ensuring dissenting media, along with the left, is so disarmed and so pushed to the fringes that they don't need to worry so much.

Still, there's the internet to leak stuff onto for now.

Twit 2

Kelvin

Feels slightly too soon still for them to start rolling out stuff like this. There will still be pushback from the mainstream media, just because they're controlling psychopaths as well.  Question is whether the Tories already feel confident enough in their unassailable position to see something like this through, or whether they'll roll over on it for now and bring it out again in a few years.   

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 20, 2021, 09:57:44 PM
Priti Patel should have gone to prison.

Yes this is all a part of ensuring dissenting media, along with the left, is so disarmed and so pushed to the fringes that they don't need to worry so much.

Still, there's the internet to leak stuff onto for now.

For now...

You say fringes, i'd say obliterated entirely. Thought crime etc.

Bernice

Quote from: Kelvin on July 20, 2021, 10:09:07 PM
Feels slightly too soon still for them to start rolling out stuff like this. There will still be pushback from the mainstream media, just because they're controlling psychopaths as well.  Question is whether the Tories already feel confident enough in their unassailable position to see something like this through, or whether they'll roll over on it for now and bring it out again in a few years.   

They've no choice. They've seen Trump's rapid fall from grace and they won't want to risk the same thing happening here. They need to start rigging the system now so that there's no chance of being punished for the austerity and misery to come.

Paul Calf

evilcommiedictator

Will this mean Laura will go to jail for publicizing all those leaked secrets then?