Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Funniest Judas Priest music videos

Started by willbo, July 21, 2021, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

old grey whistle test 1975 when they hadn't decided on their look/sound -

https://youtu.be/957N7EAtpY4

Turbo Lover (just for how enthusiastic Halford is)

https://youtu.be/JhY9GOhFwN4

Breakin' The Law (the definitive funny Priest video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU

kngen

Pauline Walnuts

Haters gonna hate. You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing.

willbo

PlanktonSideburns

Really hard not to like these wallies isn't it?

I remember someone giving me the metal works cassette, and being like listen to this, this is the funniest thing to you've ever heard

the science eel

Denim and Leather!

look good together

idunnosomename

HOT ROCKIN'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxV7GTbqC10

ok so them at their gym clearly with no weights on any of the machines, and then in the shower with Rob bursting out the sauna. drags a bit in the middle, then the big finale where Rob's shoes set fire and they half-heartedly light the ends of their instruments. I mean it is also a very silly song which helps

idunnosomename

I did have the "Electric Eye" DVD so I have seen them all. The interesting thing is all of the silly videos Living After Midnight, Breaking the Law, Don't Go (which tries to be all artsy fartsy), Heading Out to the Highway (pissing around on a runway with some cars), Hot Rockin, You've Got Another Thing Comin' (where they are playing to a noise pollution surveyor in a bowler hat, who they make into a dummy with an exploding head and his trousers fall down), Freewheel Burning are all directed by Julien Temple of the Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle of 1978.

In 1980 Temple made the short "Biceps of Steel" with Samson (then with Bruce Dickinson, before he joined Iron Maiden), which was meant as an B-movie to Hazel o' Connor's Breaking Glass. It is similarly very silly, and clearly why they hired him to do the British Steel videos. Obviously these things were done on a shoestring and meant to be funny.

When they were gunning for American stardom, they moved to the slicker Wayne Isham as director. I think they spent a fair sum on Locked In which has some weird plot where the lads free Rob from being swung about in a Mad Max sex dungeon run by sex ladies and stop motion animation robot skeletons. It has the incredibly American joke of tempting a fat man with a Twinkie.

The funniest thing in these ones is that while they're trying to crack the hair metal market, ironically Rob is getting very short on disguising he's going bald.

All the videos later than that are no-concept playing in some industrial location with some edgy strobes put on in post, or just comps of live footage. If they had done a big stage production of Nostradamus, perhaps we would have got some laughs, but the album was so fucking shit they quietly shelved that idea.

willbo

they must have been a comedy band by that point... they must have been...

idunnosomename

This is Spinal Tap is essentially 80s Black Sabbath without Dio, but a lot of Tap's stage manner is def taken from Priest at the time.

The biggest farce at the mo with Priest now is that Ken "K.K." Downing flounced in 2011, and now is very bitter than they replaced him with whippersnapper Ritchie Faulkner and Andy Sneap (Sabbat, revived Hell, prolific metal producer and admittedly a great bunch of lads). Glenn is so overtaken with Parkinson's now it's likely he hardly played on the last album Firepower. Regardless can't tour now so it's basically just Rob, Ian Hill and the still pretty-kick-ass Scott Travis on drums with two fill-in guitarists.

This year, Ken has started his own band with Halford replacement Tim "Ripper" Owens (also formerly of Iced Earth, the mastermind of which Jon Schaffer is now incarnated by the FBI for storming the Capitol), very cleverly called K.K.'s Priest (Judas Ken clearly was turned down). They have a song called Hellfire Thunderbolt that sounds fucking exactly what you'd think a song called Hellfire Thunderbolt sounds like.

this is all hilarious yes. well except for Glenn having Parkinsons which means he'll probably never performer again is grim. I do always give props for Glenn as a bloke who started recording professionally in the early 70s and kept up with the kids enough to be sweeping and tapping with the best in the 80s. The All Guns Blazing solo for instance.

easytarget

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 21, 2021, 08:32:31 PM

this is all hilarious yes. well except for Glenn having Parkinsons which means he'll probably never performer again is grim. I do always give props for Glenn as a bloke who started recording professionally in the early 70s and kept up with the kids enough to be sweeping and tapping with the best in the 80s. The All Guns Blazing solo for instance.

I thought Glen occasionally came on for Breakin' The Law or Living After Midnight (which are, TBH, pretty easy).

Shame about KK's sourness over the last 10 years (his biog is pretty terrible, especially compared to Rob's masterpiece) because Priest's career has been very impressive (and hilarious).

willbo

Quote from: easytarget on July 22, 2021, 02:38:23 AM
I thought Glen occasionally came on for Breakin' The Law or Living After Midnight (which are, TBH, pretty easy).

Shame about KK's sourness over the last 10 years (his biog is pretty terrible, especially compared to Rob's masterpiece) because Priest's career has been very impressive (and hilarious).

i think it actually sounds like a good idea for aging metallers to have a band of young replacements but have the legends come on for cameos for as long as they can handle. I want to read KK's book, I love a good angry bitter bio (like the C3PO actor's one on star wars). I'd like to see his band live too.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: willbo on July 21, 2021, 10:16:21 AM

Turbo Lover (just for how enthusiastic Halford is)

https://youtu.be/JhY9GOhFwN4

There's bit near the beginning where I thought he was predicting the future - "you can't retweet", clear as day.

idunnosomename

tracklisting for KK's Priest debut:

1. INCARNATION
2. HELLFIRE THUNDERBOLT
3. SERMONS OF THE SINNER
4. SACERDOTE Y DIABLO
5. RAISE YOUR FISTS
6. BROTHERS OF THE ROAD
7. METAL THROUGH AND THROUGH
8. WILD AND FREE
9. HAIL FOR THE PRIEST
10. RETURN OF THE SENTINEL

well. those are metal song names alright. i'd def go and see KK's Priest if he plays Jawbreaker. Tim Owens would ace that. I imagine it also will be about 25 quid or something, rather than what you have to fork out to see JP these days. I mean that Ozzy tour is looking increasingly unlikely isnt it.

I thought he had Les Binks (drummer on Stained Class and Killing Machine) but apparently he couldn't record anything for the album.
sadly they treated him like shit and let him go for a crappy paedophile who was replaced with a drum machine for the most part. i guess they paid him peanuts. most of the Drums on Defenders of the Faith are programmed, and of course they are on Turbo and Ram it Down.

Famous Mortimer

Priest are playing my neck of the woods later this summer, so I'm going to get dressed up like a fellow from "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" (the greatest documentary of all time) and have some fun.