Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

fed to fuck up with marvel

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2021, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

yes, it is the correct opinion to be fed up with the omnipresence of marvel films and its deleterious effects on the film industry and pop culture generally.

i would be grateful if marvel fanboys could shut up for a second. you have the rest of the internet to talk about how exciting the next marvel film is. please allow us this thread as a safe space for grown-ups to exchange proper opinions.

thanks.

dissolute ocelot

The Mission: Impossible movies are much better as action movies (great stunts, gripping sequences, yet somehow human). The Fast and Furious films have better action sequences even if their value system is everything I hate (fast cars and being true to your buds). John Wick is maybe losing steam but is still more fun. The likes of Edge of Tomorrow and Rogue One were better than most Marvel, just looking at big-budget Hollywood action/sci-fi/blowing-things-up. Even the unfairly maligned Scarlett Johannson is as good in the solidly mediocre Ghost In The Shell or fun-but-deeply-stupid Lucy as in any Marvel. And most Marvel movies are more on a level with the Jumanji reboots (fun but utterly disposable) than the thrills of Mad Max: Fury Road.

And that's to say nothing of Hong Kong or Korean cinema (or cheapo international action movies, or even Indonesian action films).

I definitely think that without Robert Downey Jr (plus Chadwick Boseman and Chris Evans) there's going to be a decline in BO: the other biggest star is Chris Hemsworth but he's more a comic actor than an action hero.

peanutbutter

Quote from: greenman on July 22, 2021, 03:21:30 PM
Its dominance really though is almost via default, its not like its taken over cinemas to the degree theres not room for anything else, moreso that almost everything else has been very underwhelming.
I think it's more than that, they've set a standard for pre release hype that would be extremely hard to compete against. It's not so much to do with the competition itself as how extremely effectively they cross market. Like, with each film you're not competing about the hundreds of millions of marketing that normally goes into a blockbuster, you're competing with billions upon billions.

They've reframed what a major movie is by taking it to what was perhaps an inevitable endpoint but from a strictly business perspective it makes shit extremely hard for everyone else. Every other studio is ultimately working around Disney's release schedule and trying to play catchup at the same time whilst seeming like copycats in the process.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 23, 2021, 12:12:02 PM

I definitely think that without Robert Downey Jr (plus Chadwick Boseman and Chris Evans) there's going to be a decline in BO: the other biggest star is Chris Hemsworth but he's more a comic actor than an action hero.

Not seen Extraction?

Michaela Coel has just signed on for Wakanda Forever, Oscar Issac for Moonknight and Jonathan Majors will be appearing as many versions of the new big bad across many films/series. They can get any actors they want, some big names will be cameoing as alternate versions of established charachters. Likewise they can have Downey back whenever they want.

They are unstoppable, everyone will be powerless to resist the light and the glory of the ultimate project. Robert Downey Jr. knows that he must subsume his will to the further ascension of the brand. All smaller, human matters to be swept away under the tide of triumph.

Marvel, Marvel, über alles
über alles in der Welt

madhair60

I'm going to be completely honest. I think being an adult and a Marvel Studios fan is fucking embarrassing.

I think it is fucking embarrassing. And look at my avatar.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You are right. Especially given the Boglin Cinematic Universe is going massive

The worst thing is the actual space it occupies which is unfair and disproportionate. Like your stupid fucking worthless bloated rehashed nonsense sassy explosions fucking bullshit. Hoover it up like snowdrifts of coke for all I care, but I want cinemas to be showing other things and not be dominated by this never ending behemoth.

colacentral

I might take these takes more seriously if I didn't think that the OP had read a single book in the last 10 years that wasn't about Sonic the Hedgehog.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: madhair60 on July 23, 2021, 02:16:14 PM
I'm going to be completely honest. I think being an adult and a Marvel Studios fan is fucking embarrassing.

I think it is fucking embarrassing. And look at my avatar.

I wouldn't call myself a fan, I just like most of the films and am drawn to the long story format. I think grown men who collect landfill and wear any sort of slogan are embarrassing. I think grown men wearing replica football shirts is embarrassing. Anime fans I just find creepy.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on July 23, 2021, 02:13:47 PM
They are unstoppable, everyone will be powerless to resist the light and the glory of the ultimate project. Robert Downey Jr. knows that he must subsume his will to the further ascension of the brand. All smaller, human matters to be swept away under the tide of triumph.

Marvel, Marvel, über alles
über alles in der Welt

Cool bit bro.

Unkind and childish, perhaps, but a fraction less undignified than running amateur online PR trumpeting the vast spending capabilities and ensured success of a massive corporation.

Lord Mandrake

It's just my honest opinion of some films regardless of who made them, how much they cost to make or whatever overall effect it has on filmmaking or the general publics consumption of entertainment.

Lord Mandrake

Don't fucking like what I don't you cunt! Watch fucking sustainable, fair trade Indonesian neo noir buttfuck movies directed by a 80 year old cunt or you're a facile cunt.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 23, 2021, 03:12:23 PM
Don't fucking like what I don't you cunt! Watch fucking sustainable, fair trade Indonesian neo noir buttfuck movies directed by a 80 year old cunt or you're a facile cunt.

This is more like it! Keep going with this, it's more interesting when we tear the veil and get into how someone's perception of other people's media consumption can fuel insecurity, a really curious phenomenon that must be somewhat recent.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 23, 2021, 03:05:57 PM
It's just my honest opinion of some films regardless of who made them, how much they cost to make or whatever overall effect it has on filmmaking or the general publics consumption of entertainment.

This is disingenuous by the way, there's been no prior indication that you're considering this stuff in vacuum. But I think you know that.

Lord Mandrake

I don't get it? I couldn't give a shit if Disney disappeared tomorrow and all superheros are cancelled to be honest. I'm defending the films on merit as films

Edit: And I just find laughable that people think it's all going to dissolve because this star left or this film didn't earn 2billion.it

No, you've provided impassioned testimony regarding the company's ability to maintain public interest in their products, their ability to accommodate varying directorial visions (including that of Chloe Zhao, something that can't possibly be judged because the film isn't out yet) and their purchasing power when it comes to retaining talent. That is not merely a consideration of the merit of the films. You have come across as a true believer in the brand initiative, so I don't know why you're playing coy now.

madhair60

Quote from: colacentral on July 23, 2021, 02:44:21 PM
I might take these takes more seriously if I didn't think that the OP had read a single book in the last 10 years that wasn't about Sonic the Hedgehog.

I have also read a book about Super Mario.

greenman

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 23, 2021, 12:12:02 PM
The Mission: Impossible movies are much better as action movies (great stunts, gripping sequences, yet somehow human). The Fast and Furious films have better action sequences even if their value system is everything I hate (fast cars and being true to your buds). John Wick is maybe losing steam but is still more fun. The likes of Edge of Tomorrow and Rogue One were better than most Marvel, just looking at big-budget Hollywood action/sci-fi/blowing-things-up. Even the unfairly maligned Scarlett Johannson is as good in the solidly mediocre Ghost In The Shell or fun-but-deeply-stupid Lucy as in any Marvel. And most Marvel movies are more on a level with the Jumanji reboots (fun but utterly disposable) than the thrills of Mad Max: Fury Road.

And that's to say nothing of Hong Kong or Korean cinema (or cheapo international action movies, or even Indonesian action films).

I mean you list a few of the better non marvel blockbusters of the last decade there in Fury Road, Rogue One and to a lesser degree Edge of Tomorrow, the Johansson films were definitely with their merits as well even if as you say they were rather uneven mixing effective drama/action with dumber more generic sections.

The Mission Impossible films really though I'v never felt went much beyond well made action thrillers, I do think Marvel clearly aims for more substance than that. They do ultimately make films that are mostly character driven, not always with much depth to them but I do think you have a good collection of strong characters that stand out beyond your bog standard blockbuster roles.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on July 23, 2021, 03:25:06 PM
No, you've provided impassioned testimony regarding the company's ability to maintain public interest in their products, their ability to accommodate varying directorial visions (including that of Chloe Zhao, something that can't possibly be judged because the film isn't out yet) and their purchasing power when it comes to retaining talent. That is not merely a consideration of the merit of the films. You have come across as a true believer in the brand initiative, so I don't know why you're playing coy now.
I do admire what they've done as a studio, made some very clever moves and taken risks in building the universe over the long term. We've seen with DC and Universal how fraught that is. I like most of the films, love a couple and look forward to seeing more but I also watch other stuff like black and white forrin films with subtitles and everything

Well that's fine and dandy and I'm here to tell you, and whoever else needs to hear it, that you don't have to like 'black and white forrin films with subtitles and everything'. Your mass media consumption doesn't define your intellectual worth, so there's no need to be self conscious about it.

greenman

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on July 23, 2021, 04:05:16 PM
Well that's fine and dandy and I'm here to tell you, and whoever else needs to hear it, that you don't have to like 'black and white forrin films with subtitles and everything'. Your mass media consumption doesn't define your intellectual worth, so there's no need to be self conscious about it.

Lets be honest though a lot of the replies in this thread pretty much do exactly that, CaB at heart is a haven for grown up indieboys, nice, intelligent but with a contrarian streak a mile wide.

I can't go along with broad assumptions of bad faith, sorry, that just seems reflexively defensive and unsubstantiated to me. Plenty of reasons not to find this stuff appealing without it being about social clout.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on July 23, 2021, 04:05:16 PM

Self consciously going against the prevailing wind here by providing a counterpoint to the entire premise of a thread started with inherent bias. I'm too old to be self conscious, I know it's not cool to like these films and I don't give a toss.

Well you've betrayed yourself by even weighing up whether it's 'cool' or not in the first place, there comes a point in life where that shouldn't even merit consideration

McChesney Duntz

Yeah? Well, I think it's a fucking breeze being green, so what do you have to say to that?!

Did a whole song about this so I'm on record that green can be cool and friendly-like, I lay it all on the table and try to keep it in perspective. If people don't believe me the song is viewable on Disney+. Yes I admit I have taken Disney money but I have a show to run that involves keeping a large troupe of performers on the payroll, many of whom frequently indulge in costly property damage.

ProvanFan

What will Blakey off On the Buses and Paul Merton both say when the MCU finally fucks off?

Spoiler alert
"Innit Marvel-less?" "What a shame"
[close]

Shit Good Nose

Let's face it, Deuce Bigelow Male Gigolo is infinitely better than any of the Marvel films.  And European Gigolo is better than most of the more recent ones (and Iron Man 2).

So there.

greenman

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on July 23, 2021, 05:31:24 PM
I can't go along with broad assumptions of bad faith, sorry, that just seems reflexively defensive and unsubstantiated to me. Plenty of reasons not to find this stuff appealing without it being about social clout.

I mean really how would you substantiate it? its not exactly an accusation of earth shattering immorality that people might judge marvel blockbusters by something other than their own quality and I can see the arguments about the effect on cinema as a whole via Disney's dominance and abandonment of ambitious mid budget releases.