Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

fed to fuck up with marvel

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2021, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 24, 2021, 12:21:56 AM
The Russos were doing better action scenes than the Mission Impossible films in Community.
I wonder if one reason Dan Harmon keeps putting anti Marvel bits in his shows is because the Russos naffed off Community to make Winter Soldier.

St_Eddie

Guys! Guys! Look at us! Squabbling, bickering, like children!  Let's all just agree that people who like these sorts of movies are emotionally stunted, Funko Pop! collecting man-children and call it a day.

God, as per usual, I have to be the voice of reason and the peace keeper.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 24, 2021, 12:21:56 AM
The Russos were doing better action scenes than the Mission Impossible films in Community.

And Blossom, in my opinionation.

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2021, 01:18:23 AM
Guys! Guys! Look at us! Squabbling, bickering, like children!  Let's all just agree that people who like these sorts of movies are emotionally stunted, Funko Pop! collecting man-children and call it a day.
That's not true! I don't collect Funko Pops.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 24, 2021, 01:42:26 AM
That's not true! I don't collect Funko Pops.

Pfft.  The Guinness Book of World Records says otherwise.

No, I collect funky pups - dogs that resemble famous funk musicians. My latest hound is Bark King.

mothman

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2021, 01:18:23 AM

God, as per usual, I have to be the voice of reason and the peace keeper.

Yes, because the optimal solution is always to find someone that everyone wants to hate.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 22, 2021, 08:42:57 AM

genuinely thought this was a shitpost with all the names changed until i got to Steppenwolf (who ive heard of because of Justice League, but id think it was a reference to the rock band. Or herman hess.

The next film will be Spiderman trying to find a nemesis who is discrediting him by having someone dressed as him attack people in supermarkets.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,88405.msg4631792/topicseen.html#msg4631792

mothman

And just so we're clear, I knew that was Jack Kirby artwork, but not noticing the presence of obvious DC characters (Darkseid, Steppenwolf[nb]Because they were in Justice League, I admit.[/nb]) assumed they were Marvel. I am curious though how much input Lee had into the look of characters he notionally created!

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 23, 2021, 09:27:14 PM
I hate how these Marvel films are dominating the cultural conversation. I'd better start another thread to talk about them!

Although really I think part of the issue here is that CaB has very diverse taste in cinema and big blockbusters are one of the few things that everyone has common ground on, the "what have you watched" thread ha always struggled to have much discussion and that movie club idea died pretty much on the vine.

Maybe also that its more of a low stakes discussion? analysing Last Year At Marienbad or Khrustalyov, My Car is going to be rather more heavy going.

QuoteYeah, I don't really rate the Mission Impossibles all that highly. Cruise's commitment to the stunts is obviously beyond question, but that only takes up a small fraction of the running time. The rest of it is filled with plotting and characterisation so half arsed that its tough to care whether Ethan Hunt falls off a roof, or whatever.

Really I think those films always end up as rather generic A to B to C action thrillers, Marvel by comparison I would say there is a pretty much always a clear character arc. A lot of the origin films its a generic "learn to be selfless" one but still there is a lot more character stakes.

I don't think Marvel just throw cash at action scenes that much either, indeed I would say they have picked up much more on the HK idea of peppering their action scenes with endless unique little moments. There is very little "one man shooting at another man" or "one man hanging onto a ledge" style moments were the hero wins just by being "better".

mothman

I used to hate superhero movies. There was nothing there for me. But I like a good MCU. There's something about them, some x-factor. There are so many ways they could have utterly fucked them up. And yet, by and large, they haven't.

Lord Mandrake

Vincent D'Onofrio is coming back as Kingpin in the Hawkeye show, just sayin'.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Mister Six on July 23, 2021, 11:02:19 PM
The Russos' action scenes, particularly in the Captain America films, absolutely shit all over the Mission: Impossible efforts, which - once you get over the fact that it's Tom Cruise doing them - basically amount to Tom Cruise dangling over a big drop and doing that gritted-teeth face thing he always does.

no. no. not having that. the mission impossible films' action scenes are brill and shit all over the marvel ones and then rub their shit in the marvel films' faces because they are SHIT.

just so we're clear

Kelvin

I dont really think its comparing like with like, tbh. The Mission: Impossible films have visually and techinally impressive stunts, but very few actual beats, beyond hold onto this, slide down that, lose your footing here, etc.

Whereas the Russo action scenes are densely packed, multi-beat action sequences with cgi charachters fighting in imaginative ways against boring backgrounds. Neither is perfect, but they both do something better (and worse) than each other.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Kelvin on July 24, 2021, 10:59:33 PM
I dont really think its comparing like with like, tbh. The Mission: Impossible films have visually and techinally impressive stunts, but very few actual beats, beyond hold onto this, slide down that, lose your footing here, etc.

Whereas the Russo action scenes are densely packed, multi-beat action sequences with cgi charachters fighting in imaginative ways against boring backgrounds. Neither is perfect, but they both do something better (and worse) than each other.

As I said earlier in the thread, I couldn't work out what the fuck was going on during that airport fight in Civil War.  None of those big fights in the Marvel films have any geography to them (the Transformers films are guilty of this too), and geography is key when it comes to large scale action sequences because without it any tension, peril and drama is replaced with utter confusion as to where everyone is and what they're doing.  I'm not saying the MI films are any better (and I will actually concede that most of the earlier Marvel films are better then the MI films), but even in their most chaotic action scenes you can still work out where everyone is and what they're doing.

chveik

this MI talk is a distraction. we can't just have a nice thread for people fed to fuck up with marvel. leave us alone

madhair60

i have a friend who describes himself as a film buff and gets genuinely angry with me when I make even the most mild, clearly valid criticism of any MCU product

Thomas

After a long while enjoying the Weekly Planet podcast, in which the MCU is a frequent topic of humour-infused discussion, I decided to finally give these fuckin' movies a go.

They're bright and colourful, and the characters are defined well enough and charismatically performed. Some of the quips land. I liked it when Chris Pratt implied that he jizzed all over his spaceship.

However, the restrictive Marvel formula was quickly evident, and the possibilities and parameters of the universe became so broad and arbitrary as to be essentially made up on the hoof. Generally there's very little peril because an alien crystal or a blue laser or a case of nanotechnology or a book of spells or some other combination of swirly CGI lights can be conjured up to save the day, unless a heavily signposted death is allowed to happen (even then, the dead character promptly returns in some form). Iron Man designs time travel in five minutes.

I'm also not a fan of the militaristic government base aesthetic. I much prefer the idea of a lone Spider-Man to this techno-corporate panel of official superheroes having meetings in grey buildings. Every sweeping shot of their sprawling facility tested my suspension-of-disbelief. Each gigantic piston of their massive garage doors must have cost more than the Moon landings.

I got up to Endgame and hung around for WandaVision (probably my favourite Marvel production - at least until it reverted to normality in the CGI battle finale), but I think I'll not bother with any more. You could say I got fed to fuck up with it. As far as my own personal enjoyment is concerned, Marvel owe some thanks to DC for making them look great.

Shit Good Nose

Best bit of all Marvel (in the absence of Deuce Bigelow) is Spider Men pointing.  Rest can fuck off.

Close thread.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: madhair60 on July 25, 2021, 12:21:47 AM
i have a friend who describes himself as a film buff

😃😃😃

Goldentony

are people serious about missions impossible, what the fuck, does anyone get their guts torn out in any of those fucking films

Gulftastic

That posh lass that Jeremy Clarkson wanks over does in the first one.

And it's a ruddy frenchie that does it!  I bet Jeremy cried tears of rage, then beat up the first foreign he saw and stole their sandwiches

Fry

The Loki show that was on recently. Really enjoyed it, but couldn't help thinking it would've been a thousand times more enjoyable without all of that Marvel baggage. They might have been abe to show some fucking!

Absolutely no fucking in films no more because heroes don't fuck. Im fed up with implied hulk ant-man analingus, I want it on my screen.Thanks Marvel(!!!!).

madhair60

started episode six of Loki and it opens with a montage of quotes directly combining quotes from Nelson Mandela, Maya Angelous, Malala Yousafzai and Greta Thunberg with The Vision's "what is grief, if not love, persevering?" wank.

Genuinely jaw-dropping.

Chollis

hang on a minute, you're fed to fuck up with marvel but watching loki??

madhair60

Quote from: Chollis on July 30, 2021, 01:49:38 PM
hang on a minute, you're fed to fuck up with marvel but watching loki??

yeah, i watched the first three and was sort of interested. As I say in the first post I think the ""content"" itself is basically alright at worst, i just don't care for the omnipresence. the TV stuff has been bad but I started watching Loki so I wanted to finish it. I won't be watching any more though, I'm done with the MCU and as much of Disney as I can avoid, now.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: madhair60 on July 30, 2021, 01:28:58 PM
started episode six of Loki and it opens with a montage of quotes directly combining quotes from Nelson Mandela, Maya Angelous, Malala Yousafzai and Greta Thunberg with The Vision's "what is grief, if not love, persevering?" wank.

Genuinely jaw-dropping.
You forgot,
Alan Watts, Neil Armstrong and about 50 other pieces of MCU dialogue all as we pan out from 'our universe'.

madhair60

i didn't forget i just didn't mention them lol