Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

fed to fuck up with marvel

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2021, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mandrake

Spider-Man NWH will do 2 billy at the box office and the streaming shows have been a critical success, couldn't tell you viewing figures.

If your fed to fuck now just avoid Disney plus and the cinema for the next ten years because they have another three films and and three more TV shows this year! Loki 2 already in pre-production, Oscar Issac and Ethan Hawke shooting Moonknight, Wakanda Forever is casting, Blade, She Hulk and Ms Marvel in the pipe not to mention huge plans for Deadpool, the x-men and the Fantastic 4.and that's just Marvel for starters.

Will oversaturation kill the superhero industry? Maybe, going by the consensus here but just as many new fans adopt these characters as turn off and Marvels net is huge. Also, in terms of all being essentially superhero films I think the mcu has managed to be as eclectic as possible genre wise while keeping in key.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 22, 2021, 12:14:13 AM
Spider-Man NWH will do 2 billy at the box office and the streaming shows have been a critical success, couldn't tell you viewing figures.

If your fed to fuck now just avoid Disney plus and the cinema for the next ten years because they have another three films and and three more TV shows this year! Loki 2 already in pre-production, Oscar Issac and Ethan Hawke shooting Moonknight, Wakanda Forever is casting, Blade, She Hulk and Ms Marvel in the pipe not to mention huge plans for Deadpool, the x-men and the Fantastic 4.and that's just Marvel for starters.

Will oversaturation kill the superhero industry? Maybe, going by the consensus here but just as many new fans adopt these characters as turn off and Marvels net is huge. Also, in terms of all being essentially superhero films I think the mcu has managed to be as eclectic as possible genre wise while keeping in key.

CASE CLOSED

Chedney Honks

Quote from: madhair60 on July 21, 2021, 11:59:32 PM
who cares

I got you, champ.

It's definitely fed to fuck up.

I don't really want to start on this marvel stuff, I've made my opinion clear before. It just feels like an ever-expanding web of solipsistic advertisements. If kids find the characters inspiring, fair play. If adults enjoy the escapism, fair play. I remember a bit where Hulk suddenly smashed some guy into the ground and it was a big laugh but also impressively violent. I don't know what movie that was but it feels like fifteen twenty years ago. I feel like I should watch some so as not to be a curmudgeon but I'd rather be a curmudgeon than a paedophile like fans of the mcu.

The only thing that bugs me is that it's so overbearing and culturally dominant that even on here the movie and TV forums feel oversaturated by discussion of this gushing river of slurry, but people like it. Fair play.

13 schoolyards

Hollywood loves superheroes because superheroes are a shiny new (still) package for the same crap they've been serving up since special effects stopped looking complete shit. There's a big chunk of the movie-going audience who just want to see Big Dumb Spectacle and if the leads are super-powered you don't have to explain how they survived sky-diving out of an exploding plane to be in the next one.

They all feel the same because they're designed to be watched by teens who can't hang out with their mates anywhere else away from adults but a cinema - once you're old enough to drive / have sex / get pissed you're expected to move onto those things in your spare time (and then come back as a sad middle-aged dad for whatever Liam Neeson or John Wick is getting up to). They only have to seem "fresh" and "different" for a couple of years and then they can just start all over again for the new teens coming through.

Dr Rock

They are a modern pantheon of Gods, something cultures like the Greeks and Romans and many more had their lives enriched by their tales of impossible feats. They fill a vacuum, as religion dies, people need New Gods  - and they will inspire, entertain, and last a very long time.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 22, 2021, 08:12:48 AM
They are a modern pantheon of Gods, something cultures like the Greeks and Romans and many more had their lives enriched by their tales of impossible feats. They fill a vacuum, as religion dies, people need New Gods  - and they will inspire, entertain, and last a very long time.

Great satire

I think that vacancy's already been filled:

madhair60

I don't think it is satire. This Is What Marvel Stans Actually Believe

Dr Rock

Ancient Greece actually had a rich culture that wasn't just reducible to shut ins fanboying about Zeus. God bless the USA, and the military industrial complex, for providing us with our new gods. We had lost our way, but now the US Air Force, The Walt Disney Corporation, Coca-Cola and Raytheon are here to show us a brighter world. How can they be any less than gods, when the actors who play them are so beautiful?

Dr Rock

Superheroes were mostly created by poor Jews.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 22, 2021, 08:42:57 AM
I think that vacancy's already been filled:

I read the third one down as Big Barbra. Although to be fair there's already Glorious Godfrey and Granny Goodness (who I only knew of from the Harley Quinn cartoon). Glorious Godfrey looks like he's photo-bombing Darkseid and the others. I reckon he's the one who thinks he's the office clown, when really everyone is tired of his shit.

bgmnts

I think the ancient gods served a bit more of a purpose than watching them on the big screen though.

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 22, 2021, 09:09:52 AM
Superheroes were mostly created by poor Jews.

Children's fiction is an honest living.

zomgmouse

Old Nehamkin

As everyone knows, the defining feature of Greek and Roman mythology is that it was all the discrete intellectual property of two or three private corporations.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 22, 2021, 10:39:47 AM
As everyone knows, the defining feature of Greek and Roman mythology is that it was all the discrete intellectual property of two or three private corporations.

I love this post

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 22, 2021, 05:38:51 AM
I got you, champ.

The only thing that bugs me is that it's so overbearing and culturally dominant that even on here the movie and TV forums feel oversaturated by discussion of this gushing river of slurry, but people like it. Fair play.

Well there's this explicitly anti mcu thread and one for Black Widow currently. I think there's space to discuss tentpole spectacles amongst the scramble to demonstrate how deep one gets into Hong Kong or how obscure one's tastes are.

These films aren't artistically invalid just because they have the backing of the dominant studio. Directors like Chloe Zao, Ryan Coogler and writers like Michael Waldron seem to have been able to express themselves within the supposed strictures of Disney. For me it's pure, efficiently delivered escapism, nothing more but some of the films are truly special by any metric. The technical innovations in filmmaking alone have been worth it.

Chedney Honks

Not enjoying these films doesn't make me a poseur (you edited, but the point remains), nor do I mind if you call me a poseur. It doesn't invalidate my point about these films.

If you don't want to acknowledge or disagree that the MCU has become culturally overbearing, I really don't mind. There's no debate. Movies and TV are beyond saturated with superhero 'franchises'.

As I said, I have no issue with anyone enjoying these films. I like T-Bone Steak flavour Roysters. It's the cultural hegemony I dislike because I find it all so boring.

greenman

Its dominance really though is almost via default, its not like its taken over cinemas to the degree theres not room for anything else, moreso that almost everything else has been very underwhelming.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 22, 2021, 03:00:20 PM
the scramble to demonstrate how deep one gets into Hong Kong or how obscure one's tastes are.

I mean, Hong Kong is not exactly 'obscure', the HK film I cited in this thread stars Jackie Chan, one of the most famous actors in the world. I think you're defensively projecting bad faith.

Quote from: greenman on July 22, 2021, 03:21:30 PM
Its dominance really though is almost via default, its not like its taken over cinemas to the degree theres not room for anything else, moreso that almost everything else has been very underwhelming.

Extremely bleak if true

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like the MCU in general. I'm not bothered by other studios failed attempts at universe building, because I just didn't watch them. The one part of its influence that I don't like is other films going for the same style of humour. My heart sank about three minutes into The Force Awakens, when Poe Dameron did some Tony Stark-esque mouthing off to the baddy. I just watched the new Dune trailer and it front loads a bunch of quips that put me right off. Obviously, Marvel didn't invent humour in action films, but it is undoubtedly one of the defining traits of the series.

It's funny in hindsight, how many times people predicted the next film in the series was going to be some giant flop - even the first Avengers film had people saying it was going to be some massive car crash.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on July 22, 2021, 03:26:12 PM
I mean, Hong Kong is not exactly 'obscure', the HK film I cited in this thread stars Jackie Chan, one of the most famous actors in the world. I think you're defensively projecting bad faith.

I hadn't read your post and wasn't referring to it or anyone in particular, the vague point being there are loads of threads discussing extremely niche things. Agree Hong Kong isn't that, it's a hegemony.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 22, 2021, 03:14:24 PM

If you don't want to acknowledge or disagree that the MCU has become culturally overbearing, I really don't mind. There's no debate. Movies and TV are beyond saturated with superhero 'franchises'.

"Culturally overbearing" ie popular, supply and demand. I mean for christsake, there's literally everything available to watch at all times bar fucking nothing.

Seems a bit strange that this is one of the few contexts in which people who might otherwise know better are just willing to go along with the idea that the market has just freely accomodated the highest quality product in rising to it's rightful place at the top. Seems like there would be at least some coercion involved in ensuring this level of visibility, I mean we are talking about huge multinational media conglomerates here, with an incredible and unprecedented amount of media resources at their command.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 22, 2021, 05:27:31 PM
"Culturally overbearing" ie popular, supply and demand. I mean for christsake, there's literally everything available to watch at all times bar fucking nothing.

It's not about how it impacts my choice of what to watch. It's that superhero fodder is everywhere and I've come to find it obnoxious.

Replies From View

All anyone needs from the Marvel range is Spiderman.  The rest are filler really.

If you desperately want to watch a film with something like an iron man, watch Robocop or the Iron Giant cartoon.

The same goes for whatever other Marvel characters there are - just keep watching Robocop or the Iron Giant cartoon.

I hope this is clear enough because if you keep making the same mistake again your Disney Plus prescription will be revoked.

Old Nehamkin

Not really convinced that commercial cinema being dominated by a progressively smaller collection of IPs controlled by a progressively smaller number of studios is just some organic expression of the will of the people.

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 22, 2021, 06:14:07 PM
Not really convinced that commercial cinema being dominated by a progressively smaller collection of IPs controlled by a progressively smaller number of studios is just some organic expression of the will of the people.

oh go on surely you must think so