Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you’ve agreed with Larry David

Started by The Mollusk, July 21, 2021, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on July 21, 2021, 08:42:15 PM
As always my prejudice against the very rich swanning about put me off

Every time Larry argues over 10 dollars or moans about a few hundred dollars here or there it always breaks the suspension of disbelief because I just think Larry you're half a billionaire, stop moaning about money.

Also Jeff Garlin is a famous comedian but he plays fictional character Jeff Green. Richard Lewis is also a famous comedian but he plays himself, i.e Richard Lewis. Never really fully understood that.

I did enjoy the idea that calling a man a cunt in America is so serious that it can make you quit your job and completely reevaluate your life.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Chollis on July 21, 2021, 08:56:21 PM
yes

No, don't start with season 1, start with the hour special which is still the best Curb for me. It kicks off the whole formula of people getting the hump with Larry for nowt. That actress of Sabrina the Teenage Witch completely falls out with Larry because he didn't say goodbye to her when leaving a restaurant. He tries to make it up but she completely unreasonably tells him to fuck off.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 21, 2021, 09:15:11 PM
Also Jeff Garlin is a famous comedian but he plays fictional character Jeff Green. Richard Lewis is also a famous comedian but he plays himself, i.e Richard Lewis. Never really fully understood that.

That should make it clearer.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 21, 2021, 03:28:44 PM
QuoteFor every five things LD does that have you almost yelling "JUST LEAVE IT" through gritted teeth, there's at least one or two where you completely empathise with him.

Gonna say that ratio is more like 4:3 for me

Only the earlier seasons.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 21, 2021, 09:15:11 PM

I reckon it works. Jeff Garlin does play the acting role he seems to play in other stuff (which largely seems to be not nice LOUD MAN Arrested Dev, Safety not Guaranteed), but he's also not supposed to be anybody. Conversely I still don't really know who Lewis is outside of Curb but I guess he's someone who was once known who is now still giving it the big guns on a fading name.

Could never really work out if everyone was genuinely encouraged to shout or if it started out with some massive audio compression due to being low budget and sort-of filmed on location.

jobotic

I like Richard Lewis in this but have never heard of him otherwise and something tells me I'd find his comedy immensely tedious.

I agree with him that the last episode of Seinfeld was crap.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: jobotic on July 21, 2021, 08:42:15 PM
As always my prejudice against the very rich swanning about put me off this but I'm glad I gave it a go.

That's one of things that makes it so great, most comedy actors are obsessed with playing 'everyman' types, so it's refreshing to see someone being unashamedly wealthy.

The only thing that bothers me slightly with the show is Larry's selection of romantic interests. I can understand an attractive woman 30 years his junior giving him the time of day, if she knows who he is and/or how rich he is. But also the random women he meets on the street tend to be eager to date him. Dunno if; there was in-joke that I missed, Larry is deluded about his physical appearance, or he just thinks 'I'm the one writing this, so fuck it, I'm a sex symbol now'.

Sebastian Cobb

They're usually breezy/pleasant to him and then he ruins it by trying to chat them up, I thought at least most the time that was him misreading them just being nice to an old man as a come-on and the occasions where they do a sort-of-meta thing where he ruins it by being paranoid about it being them just being nice to an old man.

EOLAN

Another one who largely agree with Larry. Also the stereotype of it effectively being constant cringe and shouting matches doesn't hold for me. So much great physical routines and images as well with plenty of pleasant or quietly passive aggressive disagreements as well.

Many of the regulars I find much worse than Larry. Cheryl really comes across badly, as does Jeff though he usually does stick up for Larry. Susie is great and actually gets on very well with Larry, particularly in the earlier series.

Sebastian Cobb

Thought Cheryl was mostly a voice of reason, Suzie a lunatic (but great character and well played) and that Danson and Funkhauser were almost a dialled-up inverted angel/devil split of the same annoying guy.

Richard Kind is a great vehicle for identifying with Larry, he's grating but makes you feel guilty for finding him grating while being entirely harmless.

The Mollusk

Just want to add, since the thread is derailing, Richard Lewis is incredible in CYE and his relationship with Larry is absolutely fucking ridiculous, just absurdly childish and so funny.

"HE DOESN'T HAVE A WIFE AND HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 21, 2021, 10:52:29 PM
Just want to add, since the thread is derailing, Richard Lewis is incredible in CYE and his relationship with Larry is absolutely fucking ridiculous, just absurdly childish and so funny.

"HE DOESN'T HAVE A WIFE AND HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD"

There's a bit where larry donated money to a mutual friend and then was used to pay lewis for something and larry's obviously being stiffed but it's not right to ask lewis to simply return the cash that's perfect... both of them knowing the situation is absurd but both prepared to ruin decades of friendship in a stand-off.

sorry if this is me going out on a limb and hitting the same bit, worry it is now.

Chollis

yeah Lewis is great in this and I love his rapport with Larry, there's a real warmth between them on screen

i like to laugh along to all the "what am i, Marty Schultz over here?" jokes Lewis does, despite me never knowing who the person is

EOLAN

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 21, 2021, 10:51:35 PM
Richard Kind is a great vehicle for identifying with Larry, he's grating but makes you feel guilty for finding him grating while being entirely harmless.
He is bad but not a patch on how awful his wife is.

poodlefaker

Watching Curb on a plane a few years ago and the American guy next to me looks over to see what I'm laughing at. "Oh man, I love that show...he certainly gets up to some hi-jinks". Since then I've  thought of it as Larry's Hi-Jinks, like Harold Lloyd or something .

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: EOLAN on July 21, 2021, 11:23:39 PM
He is bad but not a patch on how awful his wife is.

I kind of feel Kind always plays more-or-less the same guy but it's perfect and people need to work around it; Curb really made him work in that way, and so did Red Oaks by giving him an arc and stuff.

famethrowa

I'm still not happy about Leon Black. In a world populated by rich old white people, why does the only substantial black character have to be a mooching, foul-mouthed uncultured oaf?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: famethrowa on July 23, 2021, 07:47:43 AM
I'm still not happy about Leon Black. In a world populated by rich old white people, why does the only substantial black character have to be a mooching, foul-mouthed uncultured oaf?

I get your point but I never saw him that way, I just thought of him as this show's equivalent to Kramer.

MoreauVasz

I have always struggled with Curb because of how bizarrely unreasonable people can be. Sometimes it works for me, other times I just get wrenched out of it and have to turn it off. At first I thought it might be some weird irritation at the injustices visited upon Larry but it's weird that I struggle with these instances of silliness but not the instances in other comedies.

I now think it might be a characterisation issue... I can cope with Larry being a prick and I can cope with Jeff's wife as their prickishness is, established but character who seems nice and reasonable going all the way to defcon 1 over some trifling faux pas? Nah mate.

checkoutgirl

I'm torn about Leon. He is a good foil for Larry and he does come up with the odd good line here and there but he is a bit of cliche. His dialect, accent and mannerisms are all quite African American male stereotype, he's obsessed with sex or "tappin' that ass" which is another black man stereotype.

He shows up after his family who are from New Orleans and need accommodation but Leon arrives from another part of LA and is just bumming off Larry. Vivica Fox gets a job and they duly bugger off but Leon stays around with no visible job except the occasional scam with Larry and gets in on free trips to New York and a Mexican resort etc. Can I come? I'm not paying but can I come? Think of me as luggage.

There's an old racist term called the house negro which Leon would be similar to if he did any work. I think in real life Larry just really liked having JB Smoove around for the fresh life it put into the show but couldn't be arsed thinking for a valid reason for him to be around. Or maybe that's the joke, I'm not sure. It's one of those little questionable things that just is in a comedy show even in today's climate.

MoreauVasz

He's more like a member of Larry's entourage.

Replies From View

A dog without a bag is incomplete.

Truer words have never been spoken.  Bonus points for the fury the statement instils in anyone who understands that a living being shouldn't be considered incomplete without a plastic object.  It's just brilliant.

Aleister Growley

I agree with Cheryl though, phone cut off time is 10 o clock not 10.30.

Everybody knows that.

Replies From View

The entire Bald Asshole situation with the trick-or-treaters.  From start to finish, Larry is right.

Thursday

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 23, 2021, 09:21:05 AM
I'm torn about Leon. He is a good foil for Larry and he does come up with the odd good line here and there but he is a bit of cliche. His dialect, accent and mannerisms are all quite African American male stereotype, he's obsessed with sex or "tappin' that ass" which is another black man stereotype.

I watched some of JB Smoove's standup, and really it seems like it's very much his character.

Echo Valley 2-6809

"RIP Auntie Cuntface"?  Why would you do that, Larry?

Quote from: Replies From View on July 23, 2021, 10:50:12 PM
The entire Bald Asshole situation with the trick-or-treaters.  From start to finish, Larry is right.

"With all due respect officer, you're not bald. You've chosen to shave your head, as a fashion thing, so we don't really consider you part of the bald community, with all due respect."