Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you’ve agreed with Larry David

Started by The Mollusk, July 21, 2021, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

I love the whole Seinfeld reunion arc thing.
So much more satisfying than a proper Seinfeld reunion after the fact.
Gervais is the nadir.

I almost always agree with him when he's arguing with Cheryl.

mr. logic

Gervais was completely shit in Curb. Just missed the point completely, despite being obviously a big fan. Attacking Seinfeld for its laugh track was so clearly something that he thought was clever, clever.

mojo filters

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 25, 2021, 10:53:08 PM
"With all due respect officer, you're not bald. You've chosen to shave your head, as a fashion thing, so we don't really consider you part of the bald community, with all due respect."

Bald asshole is a hate crime!

chveik

Quote from: TheMonk on July 26, 2021, 11:03:20 AM
I almost always agree with him when he's arguing with Cheryl.

she's so obnoxious at times, but in a dull way

i love Curb but it gets a bit cartoonish for me in the later seasons

Custard

I think one of the only times I thought Larry was wrong or a bit much, was at the card game where some bloke does well or something and LD goes "Ah, you cunt! You cunt!".

He didn't read the room there. It wasn't a bunch of boozy laddy mates sat about joshing. It was a stilted, "civilised", couples thing

Still funny, though

Sebastian Cobb

It was an overreaction but their reaction to it was as if he'd got his cock out and flapped it on the table.

MoreauVasz

Doesn't the bloke quit his job and go into full-time therapy?

Video Game Fan 2000

Dumps his girlfriend and comes out as gay, provoking the "effeminate heterosexual" argument which is one of the few low points in the golden years. I think the point was supposed to be that no straight man would be offended by the word cunt.

Mobius

I was watching The Christ Nail last night, god Cheryl is a pretty horrible person. Wants to just fire their cleaner because she won't wear a bra. Real nice.

I wonder what would have happened at the end of the episode if Jesus had not trodden on the nail... was he actually going to beat the piss out of Larry with a big crucifix?

Video Game Fan 2000

Though doesn't Larry only say "cunt" because he's trying to pitch an adult show to Julia Louis Dreyfus who wants to be able to say it, or that a different episode?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 28, 2021, 09:12:51 PM
Though doesn't Larry only say "cunt" because he's trying to pitch an adult show to Julia Louis Dreyfus who wants to be able to say it, or that a different episode?

It's in the same arc (I think it's JLD's poker party), but I don't think there's anything to suggest that's why he did it. Worth remembering that "cunt" was still just about the worst swear word you could say in the US when that episode was written, and was considered to be a gendered insult against women. It's still not something you hear very often, so it kind of jumps out at you when Larry uses it that way. It's very funny though, especially since being called a cunt seems to be the catalyst that throws that guy into an existential crisis. His instant reaction (confused, wounded, trying to play it off), as well as the uncomfortable silence among the other guests is incredibly well-observed.

Also worth remembering it wasn't the first time that word had gotten Larry in trouble. "Devoted sister, beloved ..."

Video Game Fan 2000

I rewatched it and it made me want to rewatch the whole series. I think the point is perhaps more the hypocrisy at the table at the approval for JLD's wanting to shock people with the word fuck, then the disapproval of Larry's c-bomb.

JLD is brilliant.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Mobius on July 28, 2021, 09:08:45 PM
I was watching The Christ Nail last night, god Cheryl is a pretty horrible person. Wants to just fire their cleaner because she won't wear a bra. Real nice.

I wonder what would have happened at the end of the episode if Jesus had not trodden on the nail... was he actually going to beat the piss out of Larry with a big crucifix?

That episode sucks. Season 5 is the first overall disappointing season, I'd say. As chveik says above, "cartoonish". It can probably be argued that season 4 starts to veer into that as well but there's more gold than duffer in there, personally I think it's great. Stiller is on top form.

EOLAN

I like cartoonish Curb. Anything with loads of physical comedy is good by me.

Jerzy Bondov

The toilet flush being too loud and it fucks his ears up is one of the most cartoonish bits and I think it's so funny, his acting is shocking in that bit but it works for me

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: neveragain on July 21, 2021, 07:40:35 PM
Hmm... Interesting. I'm not sure if they would, unless Victor took against Larry's wealth. Or Larry was speaking loudly in a restaurant. I can't imagine Larry giving Victor a second look to be honest.

The pair would certainly bond over the bald issue but Victor would start to get irked by Larry's attempts at his posh Southern Scottish accent. Cheryl would definitely flirt with Victor which would drive Margaret insane.

Quote from: EOLAN on July 29, 2021, 10:29:43 AM
I like cartoonish Curb. Anything with loads of physical comedy is good by me.

I agree. Most cartoonish bit was the end of 'The Bare Midriff' in season 7. You really have to suspend your disbelief that Larry could be saved from falling off a building by grabbing on to an overweight woman's belly, but the image was funny so gets a pass from me!

Mobius

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 29, 2021, 08:02:31 AM
That episode sucks. Season 5 is the first overall disappointing season

It's a funny episode but it doesn't make much sense plotwise, but that doesn't bother me much. Larry David can pretty much do what he wants.

That episode also has this great outtake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr61t2_dN8w

Zetetic

Why on earth is there a random shot of Cardiff at about 29:44/-02:42 from the end of S09E04?

Edit: I guess just flipping through a weirdly broad set of stock videos at speed.