Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Has Liverpool Fucked It?

Started by Blumf, July 21, 2021, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

'It' being it's World Heritage status.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57879475
QuoteLiverpool has been stripped of its World Heritage status after a UN committee found developments threatened the value of the city's waterfront.

The decision was made following a secret ballot by the Unesco committee at a meeting in China.

Unesco had said that the developments, including the planned new Everton FC stadium, had resulted in a "serious deterioration" of the historic site.

The decision was described as "incomprehensible" by the city's mayor.

On the one hand, it's nice to keep it all original, on the other, it's a living, active place, not a museum, new buildings are required from time to time.

Been ages since I've been, so I've no idea what the damage is.

Alright!

greenman

I'v been to other sites like Lijiang in China that were little more than a series of gift shops, I suspect the issue here is that political pressure counts for a lot and the Tories were unwilling to stand up for Liverpool.

bgmnts

Everton continuing to be a stain on the city.

Sebastian Cobb

These things always strike me as bullshit marketing titles. I'm sure they drive tourism but am skeptical it drives money to the local businesses that need it.

Goldentony

I'm sat within pissing distance of the bit they're on about and yes, the answer is yes, it's fucked top to bottom. The council are worse than useless and everything here within about a decade is going to be a bar or a flat. The city centre's a theme park for cokeheads now. All the old buildings just happen to be there among it all. There's a bar here that was using photos of a place in Shoreditch to advertise itself. There's bars here now already trying to get in on the bottom floor and so far what it's increased is shoplifting at the garage nearby with the one cash machine around for a mile.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Everything is becoming Dubai/China, a parcelled up leasehold shitworld of blocks and fuck all to do except the blandest most expensive places to drown your sorrow or sit on white concrete blocks filled with inert turf funnelling in coffee. They should make it illegal for any architect to commission plans and aspects of a development as though it was a sunny day the day after it was built.

I've spent the last week going through the national inventory of historic UK pub interiors as part of research for my bar guide. A dwindling number.

I actually enjoy this and do it for pleasure but the amount of times my soul has been raked over this week looking at the vandalism and closures is unreal. They are shockingly unprotected (outside of those that happen to be Grade II listed buildings, and even they get to fuck about if granted permission - which they get because money) - and constantly at the whim of the next fucking nouveau riche shitpiece, sphinctral bellwhiff who decides they want to put 'their own stamp on it' which surprise surprise, isn't to make it individual or anything but to make it look like the same grey quasi-craft shit that everything else of no interior value looks like.

What is lost can very rarely be reclaimed. Go on a tour of  what remains of these living museums while you can because 80% won't be here in 20 years and that's a conservative estimate.

Quote from: Goldentony on July 21, 2021, 05:11:03 PM
I'm sat within pissing distance of the bit they're on about and yes, the answer is yes, it's fucked top to bottom. The council are worse than useless and everything here within about a decade is going to be a bar or a flat. The city centre's a theme park for cokeheads now. All the old buildings just happen to be there among it all. There's a bar here that was using photos of a place in Shoreditch to advertise itself. There's bars here now already trying to get in on the bottom floor and so far what it's increased is shoplifting at the garage nearby with the one cash machine around for a mile.

Why a theme park for cokeheads, and not your boggo pissheads? Intrested to know what would make a place good for a cokehead.  Probably level shelfing in the bogs would be a start?

The area around the Victorian docks is in utter disrepair. Its listed status, derelict warehouses and run-down buildings were always going to be barriers to attracting worthwhile investment.

If the city council had spent more time working on ways to redevelop that part of town sympathetically rather than crookedly chasing the quick bucks from China then it wouldn't have had to give up the title for the sake of a football stadium. And this time it can't even be pinned on the Tories - the city has been fucked sideways by its own corrupt leadership for over a decade.

I also agree with Goldentony that the place has become a soulless party town (whilst the areas surrounding the city centre are long since lost to poverty and squalor)

idunnosomename

Knocking down the old Futurist for shitty student flats was a cunts trick

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on July 21, 2021, 05:57:20 PM
Why a theme park for cokeheads, and not your boggo pissheads? Intrested to know what would make a place good for a cokehead.  Probably level shelfing in the bogs would be a start?

The ready availability of inexpensive and good quality cocaine?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blumf on July 21, 2021, 04:02:08 PM
On the one hand, it's nice to keep it all original, on the other, it's a living, active place, not a museum, new buildings are required from time to time.

That's fine, but having made their choice of which of those two they wanted to pursue the city's political leaders shouldn't have spent the day complaining about the inevitable and wholly predictable result of that choice that they'd been warned about a number of times.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlumfOn the one hand, it's nice to keep it all original, on the other, it's a living, active place, not a museum, new buildings are required from time to time.

It is a false binary I'm afraid. A place can be both a museum and lived in as several dozen European cities prove daily. New buildings are required, yes but they aren't necessarily required there and a few additional glass boxes aren't essential for the continuation of life and activity, certainly not in that area of Liverpool.

The purpose of UNESCO is to preserve areas of intrinsically distinctive and irreplaceable cultural worth. Read their own mission statement if you don't believe it: https://whc.unesco.org/en/about/

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on July 21, 2021, 04:59:16 PM
Everton continuing to be a stain on the city.
Goodison Park is a dump, it has poor views, and it can't be extended because it's smack bang in the middle of a residential area. You've got Anfield, anyway.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kankurette on July 21, 2021, 06:33:02 PM
Goodison Park is a dump

It may be a dump but it has a fantastic atmosphere that can't simply be transplanted and is probably now in the top 2 or 3 most interesting stadia of PL clubs. It's location right next to a residential area tethers the club to a community. Given the number of warning signs there are about moving to soulless corporate bowls, and the fact it carries no guarantee of progress for the club at all, it's difficult to understand this mentality.

Chedney Honks

In some Uzbek genocidal cunt we trust.

Goldentony

It's a good place for cokeheads because it's miles from anywhere and the only police round here are ones chasing boy racers into Bootle down the one very long straight road. Nobodys here to stop you. Just storm the place on coke and you'll end up running it.

JamesTC

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 21, 2021, 06:45:36 PM
It may be a dump but it has a fantastic atmosphere that can't simply be transplanted and is probably now in the top 2 or 3 most interesting stadia of PL clubs. It's location right next to a residential area tethers the club to a community. Given the number of warning signs there are about moving to soulless corporate bowls, and the fact it carries no guarantee of progress for the club at all, it's difficult to understand this mentality.

It'll be hilarious when rising sea levels put the new stadium under threat of flooding in a couple of decades.

Kankurette

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 21, 2021, 06:45:36 PM
I know, and I have a soft spot for the place. But it's made of wood and the views are terrible in some parts. I don't know how much longer we can stay there.

James, if that happens we'll just move into Anfield.

JamesTC

Quote from: Kankurette on July 21, 2021, 07:07:59 PM
James, if that happens we'll just move into Anfield.

And default on your rent again? On your bike.

Kankurette

Or we could just merge with Tranmere.

Goldentony

i've grown up an Everton fan and honestly who the fuck needs this stadium because Everton don't

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Goldentony on July 21, 2021, 07:16:46 PM
i've grown up an Everton fan and honestly who the fuck needs this stadium because Everton don't

Ah, like Pittodrie 2.0 then.

Goldentony

yeah if it doesn't end up an all purpose aparthotel, restaurant, function room and multi use athletics stadium sponsored by 'GOBLIN ELECTRONICS' i'll be dipped in dogshit

Blumf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 21, 2021, 06:31:58 PM
It is a false binary I'm afraid. A place can be both a museum and lived in as several dozen European cities prove daily. New buildings are required, yes but they aren't necessarily required there and a few additional glass boxes aren't essential for the continuation of life and activity, certainly not in that area of Liverpool.

Undoubtedly. I just have no idea what's been going on there as it's been decades since my last visit. By the sounds of it, the local authority has indeed fucked it.

The mind boggles as to why there's so much money for such soulless shite. Surely it can't make the cash back?

Blumf

Quote from: Goldentony on July 21, 2021, 07:16:46 PM

Coventry?

Goldentony

award UNESCO heritage status to Coventry

BlodwynPig

Goldentony

secondly nobody knows where or what Tranmere is