Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Adrian Chiles

Started by TrenterPercenter, July 21, 2021, 05:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: pigamus on July 22, 2021, 10:47:01 AM
Well seeing your elderly parents once a week isn't that excessive, and if his mum's got fuck all else to do then why not? I would.

Seeing your parents is fine, expecting them to use some of your visit, part of the limited time they have left on this earth, to wash your smalls is unacceptable. Also I genuinely can't see the convenience in having to load it all into the car and back again, it'd be much less mither to just stick it in your own machine then tumble dry/hang it up.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on July 22, 2021, 12:30:41 PM
Seeing your parents is fine, expecting them to use some of your visit, part of the limited time they have left on this earth, to wash your smalls is unacceptable. Also I genuinely can't see the convenience in having to load it all into the car and back again, it'd be much less mither to just stick it in your own machine then tumble dry/hang it up.

I assumed this was a joke. Does he actually drive his laundry around?

What a herbert.

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2021, 01:40:58 PM

What a herbert.

I thought so too at first so I googled it to check and it's apparently true. 125 miles up the motorway.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on July 22, 2021, 01:52:03 PM
I thought so too at first so I googled it to check and it's apparently true. 125 miles up the motorway.

But washing machines aren't some arcane technology. You put clothes inside and switch them on. Then you put them in the dryer and switch that on. Does he not realize this? What's going on here?

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2021, 01:56:33 PM
But washing machines aren't some arcane technology. You put clothes inside and switch them on. Then you put them in the dryer and switch that on. Does he not realize this? What's going on here?

Quite. It's not as if we're in the days of hand washing and mangles ffs, I can't believe any sentient adult thinks it's more convenient to take their laundry on a 250 mile round trip rather than do it themselves. If he makes that journey every week to visit his parents regardless of the laundry situation then that's nice but if I was them I'd have told him to stop it with the dirty pants thanks very much, and see if he keeps showing up.

shiftwork2

Chiles and the other fella off Working Lunch were excellent examples of Regional Businessmen catching early trains to Euston from Birmingham New St and doing a bit of work at the table.

Butchers Blind

I feel sorry for his pants when his mum dies.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on July 22, 2021, 02:02:08 PM
Quite. It's not as if we're in the days of hand washing and mangles ffs, I can't believe any sentient adult thinks it's more convenient to take their laundry on a 250 mile round trip rather than do it themselves. If he makes that journey every week to visit his parents regardless of the laundry situation then that's nice but if I was them I'd have told him to stop it with the dirty pants thanks very much, and see if he keeps showing up.

I think I'm going to charitably assume that it is more about visiting home and he's somehow got trapped in this funny "tradition" but I reckon I would have stopped bringing clothes and acknowledged it was a mad thing to do "but of course I'll still come round for tea on Sunday!"

Sebastian Cobb

One of my mates was almost 40 and still taking his clothes to his mum. He even had the temerity to include some pants that he'd followed through in.

bgmnts

La de da Mr King of Canada with his dryer.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2021, 02:36:51 PM
La de da Mr King of Canada with his dryer.

I'm assuming Mr Chiles has the means to purchase both (though I do also have a dryer and I couldn't go back to a non-dryer lifestyle).

Sebastian Cobb

He's also wealthy enough to pay for service washes with ironing tbf.

pigamus

Do posh people do their own washing anyway? They don't do their own ironing or cleaning so I understand.

Sebastian Cobb

Me and a housemate once did the maths and figured we could probably afford an au pair to do the domestic work. They could just watch the telly or something instead of looking after a kid.

Do people have actual domestic servants these days? I always thought it was a weird anachronism and a bit horrid that the Banks' had one in The Fresh Prince.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2021, 01:40:58 PM

What a herbert.

It's not that washing at all. He takes his dishes round her house to be washed. Drives up the motorway with dirty cutlery in the drinks holders and plates covered in congealed bolognese on the back seat.

bgmnts

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2021, 02:40:23 PM
I'm assuming Mr Chiles has the means to purchase both (though I do also have a dryer and I couldn't go back to a non-dryer lifestyle).

Nah, spent it all on booze innit.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Butchers Blind on July 22, 2021, 02:05:35 PM
I feel sorry for his pants when his mum dies.

I just feel sorry for his pants

TrenterPercenter

We are talking about a man that drys his hands in the oven.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 22, 2021, 04:24:03 PM
We are talking about a man that drys his hands in the oven.

Remember that urban myth about the elderly woman who dried her poodle in the microwave?

Worried for his puppy.

Icehaven

When I lived in a houseshare the boiler broke one time and we didn't have any heating for a week, and one evening I came home to find two of my housemates sitting in the kitchen with the oven on with the door open and all the hobs on full blast. I presumed they were just trying to heat the room up but they must have been entertaining Chiles.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on July 22, 2021, 04:40:45 PM
When I lived in a houseshare the boiler broke one time and we didn't have any heating for a week, and one evening I came home to find two of my housemates sitting in the kitchen with the oven on with the door open and all the hobs on full blast. I presumed they were just trying to heat the room up but they must have been entertaining Chiles.

I once found my housemate topless, in shorts with the fire going full bore, it'd been a hot day earlier and that but for fuck's sake.

When our boiler broke* in Aberdeen in winter I had to sleep in a sleeping bag with duvet on top and wearing a hat. We went to the pub in the evenings and nursed pints we didn't really want.

*landlord told us to call a plumber pay and give him the bill, which I did and got charged an evening rate, guy ascertained there was no water in the system and when the ladder didn't reach the loft hatch suggested I (as the young and lythe one) boosted myself up and take a look, the ballcock on the header tank had seized so I just freed it and then we bled the radiators. Nice way for the guy to earn £80. I'd actually thought of checking that first but decided I couldn't be bothered because it wasn't my problem.

Also learned that the thermostat on the immersion heater was gubbed as it started fucking boiling water in the hot water tank.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on July 22, 2021, 03:10:07 PM
It's not that washing at all. He takes his dishes round her house to be washed. Drives up the motorway with dirty cutlery in the drinks holders and plates covered in congealed bolognese on the back seat.

If they're not in he posts them thought the letterbox

dissolute ocelot

All you can eat? I take those words as a promise – and a challenge

It's clear from the first para that Chiles knows he's an object of ridicule, and is probably deliberately trolling us all.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 21, 2021, 02:14:15 PM
All you can eat? I take those words as a promise – and a challenge

It's clear from the first para that Chiles knows he's an object of ridicule, and is probably deliberately trolling us all.

He doesn't seem to have got the joke that the misunderstanding of "bottomless" is meant to imply that he attended while wearing nothing on his bottom half.

Cuellar

Can't believe my comment simply asking 'Why are you telling us this?' got deleted

Quote from: Cuellar on October 21, 2021, 02:27:54 PM
Can't believe my comment simply asking 'Why are you telling us this?' got deleted

Another chilling glimpse into the post-CAB future.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 21, 2021, 05:52:47 PM

This fucking guy's not even two years old and he's got a column in the Guardian?

Beagle 2

How sparse can these get? It would be disappointingly lightweight fare for the Daily Star.

Beagle 2

Last night I went to put the bins out and there was a wet pigeon near my hand.

• Adrian Chiles is a writer, broadcaster and Guardian columnist

"Sainsbury's have a buy one, get one free on peanut butter - so why did I only take one jar?"