Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS5 in stock on GAME right now

Started by Pinball, July 22, 2021, 10:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

Well I just bought a PS5 :-)

GAME have 10,000 for sale this morning.

https://www.game.co.uk/playstation-5

bgmnts

Obviously I care little for brand loyalty and that but one of the big plusses of the Xbox is having so many backwards compatible games. How come the PS5 only goes back one generation? Missing a trick there.

wooders1978

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2021, 10:41:07 AM
Obviously I care little for brand loyalty and that but one of the big plusses of the Xbox is having so many backwards compatible games. How come the PS5 only goes back one generation? Missing a trick there.

Coz they're pushing PlayStation "now" maybe?

Chedney Honks

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2021, 10:41:07 AM

Because old games are mostly shit

Xbox is always going on about this because there is no new games for the xbox.

bgmnts

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 22, 2021, 12:03:20 PM

Maybe shmups yeah but there are lots of great old games.

And yeah xbox will never have proper exclusives because they're mostly linked with PC but there are some decent console exclusives lined up I think. Don't really give a shit but it's there for people interested like.

PS5 has some tasty looking games, hope one day they become available on the bone. Disco Elysium is my one big hope at the moment though.

Pinball

It doesn't look like Xbox series X is being restocked any time soon, which is a shame because I'd like one to play MS Flight Simulator on eventually. At least PS5 is restocked periodically, and I was lucky today.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2021, 12:23:04 PM
Maybe shmups yeah but there are lots of great old games.

Serious answer, I think that PS2 and PS3 era game design hasn't really evolved very much, they just got better graphics and less jank. There are plenty of interesting and slightly odd games though from those times, and yeah, maybe I'd like to play some of them but in practice, I don't think I would. In general, I think only arcade games are evergreen.

madhair60

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 22, 2021, 12:03:20 PM

Xbox is always going on about this because there is no new games for the xbox.

Ragin.

Gurke and Hare

Why is it still so hard to get one? Aren't "new" consoles usually pretty much freely available when they're this old?

Chedney Honks

Components, they can't make em fast enough.

Thursday

PS5 is just the PS3 but it's version of Demon's Souls (The only game worth owning it for) has worse art direction.

And the PS3 had PS1 backwards compatibility.

Pinball

GAME are delivering the PS5 today, despite originally stating 30th, and given I only bought it 2 days ago. I'm impressed.

madhair60

Quote from: Pinball on July 24, 2021, 09:34:05 AM
GAME are delivering the PS5 today, despite originally stating 30th, and given I only bought it 2 days ago. I'm impressed.

enjoy, it is a terrific console

Chedney Honks

Where can I get a Series X console very quickly for Flight Simulator?

😬

Shoulders?-Stomach!

PS5 fuck off as if that exists, yeah you know what, I've got an Xbox 4 up in the attic too haha secret shipment from Japan

madhair60

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 25, 2021, 06:44:39 PM
Where can I get a Series X console very quickly for Flight Simulator?

😬

my house

Pinball

I've started checking the stock trackers for the Series X, as I also want it for Flight Simulator :-)

Of course, they are available from scalpers on ebay now, but I won't do that. £450 is quite enough already :-o

Pinball

Quote from: madhair60 on July 25, 2021, 01:52:04 PM
enjoy, it is a terrific console
Thanks. I set it up tonight and installed some games. It's quite large, but I don't mind as it needs to be for the power. And as you say, it's a lovely piece of kit. Good old Sony :-) I've set it up on the vertical stand as that looks nice.

The SSD at 680GB is a bit small, and is my only criticism along with not being able to add an external drive apart from non-playable USB storage. When games are so large nowadays, this isn't quite good enough of Sony IMO. Caveat: you can play PS4 games from external storage, and could e.g. remove your 3TB external HD from your PS4 and play it using the PS5. Hopefully Sony will also allow this for PS5 games eventually...

madhair60

Don't ignore Astro Bot, the built-in game. It's a lot of fun and much more playable than it needed to be for what it is.

madhair60

madhair60

Haha.

I think it's actually an interesting area of discussion, the whole retrogaming thing. I'm biased to a point as it's my bread and butter (*cough*listentoretronauts*cough*) but I do find hopping into an old classic - even one I've never played or seen before - is usually more gratifying than even the very best modern stuff.

'Course those lines are blurred now as indie games mean that you can have almost any experience you want and it can be contemporary.

Chedney Honks

Maybe it's worth a new thread because I definitely am interested in the topic.

For the record, I do enjoy plenty of old games but it's almost entirely limited to the arcade or peak (mainstream) console stuff. I really love those games.

I have no interest at all in going back to the microcomputer era or even the vast vast majority of console games before the PS4. I'm not being contrary. I look at CPC464 graphics and they don't make me nostalgic, they make me feel depressed. Same with the Spectrum or C64 or BBC Micro. Trying to nourish my imagination with crumbs. I can try hard to appreciate them on some of level for the creativity and resourcefulness and imagination and originality and personality, but it's not a world that appeals to me at all. I remember playing on an Atari 2600 with my brother and it occupied us for a bit but it was fucking shit even then.

When Super Mario Bros came along, everything about it was so much better than what had come before that we instantly abandoned the shit, temperamental, hand-me-down/robbed home computers we'd tried to enjoy. Although I don't think original Zelda is very good, it still felt like a cut above. When SMB3 eventually arrived, the polish and depth made everything I'd previously grown up with feel completely pointless. Repton 2. Roland on the Ropes. Knight Lore. Awful arcade ports of Shinobi or OutRun or Yie Ar Kung Fu. One million percent crap. Pink Panther for dinner. It meant nothing to me overnight.

There's some Amiga stuff that just about makes the cut for me but I have no fondness for it and no desire to go back, despite spending hours and hours playing everything I could pirate.

My fondest early gaming memories are of going to the arcades and being blown away by the instant excitement and graphics and sounds and the sticks and buttons. I can still pop down the road to Arcade Club and spend a day there absolutely buzzing. That's retro gaming that really appeals to me. Driving games, 2D fighting games, shmups, side scrolling brawlers.

I stopped gaming after the PS1 for the most part, went to university then fucked off abroad and it was only the DS and then Wii which drew me back in. I think they're both amazing systems but still relatively little I'd want to play now, especially on the DS. It's redundant to me. Completely superceded in every way by the Switch. I actually do still love the Wii and I really enjoy the Wiimote and Nunchuk as a control system, it feels great to me. There's only a handful of games I'd be interested in playing, though. I was quite surprised at how lacking Galaxy felt with a Pro controller, mind you.

I don't see much difference between the majority of PS3/360 games and contemporary games. Seems they're mostly the same ideas with better graphics and more QoL/homogeneity. I don't feel the need or desire to go back for that reason. Also, so many of the best games of that era have been remastered or ported or polished up in some way, even looking at the Cave games on PS4, for example. The M2 ports are the definitive versions, not the 360 or whatever.

Anyway, that's all I have to say, just trying to avoid work. Cheers.

Pinball

Very interesting points. I'm a retrogames & arcade nut, so here's my biased take :-)

If one views videogames as works of art, then the exponential increase in technology, graphics etc with time puts the old games at a huge disadvantage vs new, especially when classics themselves are remastered. So it's hard for them to compete with modern games, and the money thrown at AAA game development. By contrast, old pinball machines have a much better chance at favourable comparison with modern pins, as the core functionality (flipping a ball around), size and artistic form ('world under glass') remains the same, even if the sound quality is better, and there's now a monitor in the backbox.

However, this is tempered by the power of nostalgia and rose-tinted memory. Playing an old game and reliving your memories compensates hugely, and I find it easy to look beyond the graphics to the gameplay. Sound quality the same, although it greatly helps if an old great game also has a great soundtrack, such as (using the Megadrive as an example) the Streets of Rage series, ThunderForce IV, Sonic the Hedgehog series etc.

Personally, I enjoy the high focus on gameplay in classic games, and am a particular fan of arcade originals (i.e. not just consoles) from the likes of Sega. The primary colour fun of Sega/Namco classics like Outrun, Daytona, Crazy Taxi etc is hard to beat, which is why I still have a Dreamcast (and the arcade equivalent the Naomi board). And so many great Taito/Japanese shmups (a lot not released beyond the arcade).

I do get the point about modern is often better though, and of the arcade boards I've collected the modern ones are often the most fun, loudest CD quality soundtracks etc. A proper arcade cab also makes a huge difference to the gaming experience e.g. a modern Taito Vewlix cab with HD monitor etc. And then you'll want one horizontal and one vertical (tate) cabinet!

If I were to summarise the above in one word it would be... MAME :-)

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Anyone still looking to get one and near a curry's?? I have one of those reservation codes that expires today.

If you want it PM me so I'll get an email notification and don't miss it