Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:14:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mistakes that made the final edit

Started by lgpmachine, July 22, 2021, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

I also agree that Sumbarine is said on purpose but there's no mention of it either way on the commentary so someone check the script book. This'll go on forever otherwise.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: An tSaoi on July 22, 2021, 07:50:34 PM
Village Idiot sketch. Cleese is in bed with two women. "I may be an idiot, but I'm no fool."
He pauses for a moment, then claps his hands together and says "Right!" as if to say "The take's over, let's get out".

At around 4 mins.

Surely a mistake?

As an aside, it's really hard to find Python clips now. They've really purged a lot from YouTube.

To me that looks like a similar thing they did with the Mr Show Larry Flynt parody sketch, where they used a longer edit than was planned because what happened after made it funnier. So not a mistake as such, but footage used after the person being filmed thought their job was done.

Jerzy Bondov

Fawlty Towers: "you ponce in here expecting to be hand waited on hand and foot" he just blows past it anyway, it's a brilliant scene and it doesn't spoil it at all

checkoutgirl

There's a bit in series 5 of The Simpsons, Homer the Vigilante where Homer appears on Smartline with Kent Brockman and says something like, "Oh Kent, you can use statistics to prove anything, forftee percent of people know that".

I wonder if that's a deliberate mispronunciation, a non sequitur or just Dan Castalenetta accidentally mispronouncing the word forty and they thought fuck it, we'll leave it in.

lgpmachine

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 22, 2021, 01:51:33 PM
Do you mean the bit where he's got mashed potato on the ladel and he can't get it off on to the plate? That was planned, you can see him doing the same thing in the outtakes.

Yeah that's it, looks like I've finally lost the argument in that case.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 22, 2021, 08:17:49 PM
I also agree that Sumbarine is said on purpose but there's no mention of it either way on the commentary so someone check the script book. This'll go on forever otherwise.

He pronounces submarine correctly elsewhere in the same scene, but I think it could be significant that he's doing a childish/dopey voice for the Russian on the phone when he says 'What, a whole sumbarine?' Which is a not uncommon child's mispronunciation. I've probably already said that, but that's why I think Coogan probably did it deliberately.
Might even have been unscripted and for his own amusement.

Dusty Substance

Is Yellow Sumbarine on Best of The Beatles?

Glebe

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 22, 2021, 01:22:56 PMThere are several moments in Fawlty Towers where the sets wobble and Cleese covers it by doing the "checking the walls" schtick where he'll tap the walls. He's very good at covering this.

Only know of one instance where he does that, namely this outtake. Just sayin', not being a smart ass or owt!

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 22, 2021, 05:07:22 PMRichard Wilson* corpsing on Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm4kxu_R7X4

Absolutely glorious.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 22, 2021, 05:13:37 PMIs that the same sketch where one of them says "Intercourse the telly"?

"Intercourse the penguin," surely?!

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 22, 2021, 05:22:09 PMMight as well say Coogan accidentally mispronounced Dracula as 'Draclia'

The correct spelling is 'draclea'. Who ever heard of anything other than a draclea, for goodness' sake!

pigamus

Quote from: fucking ponderous on July 22, 2021, 04:52:16 PM
My fucking wife has an ass in her cock in the driveway

No I'm pretty sure Barry Levinson insisted on a second take for that one

neveragain

In the Village Idiot sketch, Cleese clapping his hands and going "Right!" refers to having two women in bed[nb]He's about to sex with them!![/nb], following as it does the line about him "not (being) a fool".

St_Eddie

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 22, 2021, 08:17:49 PM

I maintain it's a flub but I do agree that this needs to be settled by somebody with access checking their scriptbook.  It's the only way I'll be willing to concede.

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on July 22, 2021, 08:56:43 PM
Might even have been unscripted and for his own amusement.

Oh lawd.  This really isn't ever going to be resolved, is it?

bgmnts

Python is full of this. The courtroom scene in the Njorl's Saga episode is incredible.

Petey Pate

Animated shows are full of these, especially as doing retakes is much more expensive than in live action. Mistakes easily happen due to communication errors with animators based in Korea or elsewhere around the globe. One that seems to happen often is the wrong character's mouth moving during dialogue that isn't spoken by that character, there's an example in The Simpsons episode 'Bart the Daredevil' where Milhouse and Nelson both appear to speak though only Nelson is heard.

Another notorious animation mistake that wasn't corrected is in a Ren and Stimpy segment where Stimpy is briefly drawn with only pupils for eyes - they kept it in just because it looks so weird.

Sean Ymphs

In 15 Storeys High series 2 episode 1: at the end Sean Lock goes "Oh hello Vince, I don't like you, you've got two testicles. Ooh that's better, now you've got one, let's go and have sex! Urgh you've got one again! Go away"

It's the one thing that stops it being a perfect series in my eyes.

lipsink

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 22, 2021, 01:39:48 PM
Also from Bottom, in 'Hole' when Eddie has to use his emergency bitter to put out a fire, and then says 'I will never, ever forget you for this!!!!'. Surely that was meant to be 'never forgive you'?

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be "forget" as the next bit of dialogue is:

Richie: "Thanks, mate"
Eddie: (confused) "What for?"

The joke being he's already forgotten. The audience doesn't laugh though.

Andy147

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on July 22, 2021, 02:24:43 PM
Also Python, Cleese in the TV series version of the Cheese Shop sketch mentions Rogue Herries by Horace Walpole. In stage and LP versions it's correctly Hugh Walpole.

The Hugh/Horace Walpole mistake is mentioned in Darl Larsen's exhaustive book on the Pythons, along with the fact that in the "Coal mine/historical argument" sketch, Eric Idle's character says "Look in Trevelyan, page 468", whereas the Treaty of Utrecht is actually on page 486 of Trevelyan.

mrapollo

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on July 22, 2021, 11:09:49 PM
In 15 Storeys High series 2 episode 1: at the end Sean Lock goes "Oh hello Vince, I don't like you, you've got two testicles. Ooh that's better, now you've got one, let's go and have sex! Urgh you've got one again! Go away"

It's the one thing that stops it being a perfect series in my eyes.

Ooh I was there that day and all I can say is that was the last scene of an extremely long day and a hard scene to shoot (for one thing, we had to keep stopping to get clearance to change the lyrics of pop songs so they could be about testicles. Once that joke started the floodgates opened) so I think one slip up for Sean is acceptable. Also he's apoplectic by that point, so getting your argument garbled kind of works anyway. Actually I'd say the same for the Fawlty Towers "hand waited on hand and foot". I think it works better with him tripping over himself with fury. Feels very real to me.

Jittlebags

I wondered whether that Major getting soaked in FT Communication Problems was accidental, the way he handles it looks like he's 'ad libbing' in a physical manner, but he's still wet in subsequent shots, so must have been meant

BeardFaceMan

There's a good one in Seinfeld where he grabs Kramer and gets squirted in the face with a bottle of water. They keep going and finish the scene, which is remarkable really as Jerry was usually the first to corpse but he managed to keep it together.

Autopsy Turvey

QuoteClive: I'll tell you what would really get the electorate going, if is that Maggie Thatcher just flashed her tits about.

lipsink

I remember when Ted is trying to convince Bishop Brennan he didn't kick him up the arse there's a bit where Brennan is in the middle of next line and then stops and realises it's Dermot Morgan's turn to speak. They left it in and it actually works really well as the scene is about Brennan being confused and starting to doubt himself.

EOLAN

Quote from: Jittlebags on July 23, 2021, 02:07:14 AM
I wondered whether that Major getting soaked in FT Communication Problems was accidental, the way he handles it looks like he's 'ad libbing' in a physical manner, but he's still wet in subsequent shots, so must have been meant
I believe it was an accident. And I guess that most episode was shot sequentially in a relatively short space of time in front of an audience; so once they decided on that take staying in they looked to retain the look.

neveragain

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 22, 2021, 10:29:38 PM
I maintain it's a flub but I do agree that this needs to be settled by somebody with access checking their scriptbook.  It's the only way I'll be willing to concede.

This wouldn't help matters as the Every Ruddy Word script book is compiled from transcripts and full of errors.

Cuellar

In an episode of Frasier where Martin agrees to do a stakeout for Donny to the concern of Niles, Niles turns up at the stakeout and gets in the van with Martin and gives him a flask of clam chowder which Martin eagerly opens up to find it contains...clam chowder! He gets annoyed and Niles says '...what were you expecting?' to which Martin says 'Irish Whiskey! Your mother used to fill it with coffee and Irish whiskey, we just called it clam chowder in front of you kids!'

I am convinced the line was 'Irish coffee! Your mother used to fill it with coffee and Irish whiskey'.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 22, 2021, 02:05:13 PM
Wrong link, or a joke's flown way over my head.

Oops, don't know what happened there.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 22, 2021, 05:22:09 PM

Is that link just a deliberate planned bit of wilful Python oddness or a minor glitch?! I presume it's going to be the end of Working Class Playwright, when Terry is saying "It could express a vital theme of our age"? We're meant to believe the knocking is coming from Palin's continuity announcer in the room downstairs (he interacts with them in the next scene). Surely it's just an early Palin/Jones attempt to cement the idea that these sketches are interconnected and share a physical space as well as a cerebral one. Unless it was another sketch entirely?

No, that's the one. Christ, you're good.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 23, 2021, 08:58:05 PM
No, that's the one. Christ, you're good.

Heh, I know me Sex & Violence! It was the first one my dad videotaped and the only ep I had access to for years, so I watched it over and over again.

In the ep 3 courtroom sketch, Cleese makes a meal of Exhibit Q: "Exhibit Kee-yoo-oo?"

Chapman introducing Mr Stokes to Mr Git: "Ah John, allow me to introbu- introduce my neighbour..."

I think the receptionist at the Argument Clinic, fatally not Carol for some reason, stumbles over "one pound for a five minute argument".

Andy147

Quote from: neveragain on July 23, 2021, 05:56:50 PM
This wouldn't help matters as the Every Ruddy Word script book is compiled from transcripts and full of errors.

That reminds me of an odd mistake in the Monty Python script book (by Roger Wilmut), in the Hell's Grannies sketch: Terry Jones as a cinema manager says "They come here for the two o'clock matinee, all hell breaks out in there". The book has this as "... all the old bags out in there".

Andy147

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 23, 2021, 10:11:33 PM
I think the receptionist at the Argument Clinic, fatally not Carol for some reason, stumbles over "one pound for a five minute argument".

Rita Davies (wife of director Ian MacNaughton), who appears several times in the show, e.g. as the woman whose husband is kidnapped by the baby snatchers ("He was only forty-seven!"), and in Holy Grail as the historian's wife.