Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,465
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:38:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mistakes that made the final edit

Started by lgpmachine, July 22, 2021, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

https://youtu.be/lhg1qCyCVNk?t=176

That's the Mr Show Taint sketch that I'm talking about, the bit mentioned starts at around 2:55. The gag was supposed to just be David Cross spinning around in slow motion and that was it, cut to the next scene. But when they were editing it together it was a little extra gag to leave in a little bit of David just standing there looking around after the spinning had stopped. And it was the editor who came up that gag in the edit, Bob & David had nothing to do with it.

Edit - I don't care if his head's in a fucking fishbowl, just tell me this isn't a new page!

McChesney Duntz

Another Mr. Show moment like that (not a mistake per se, but...) David C.'s off-screen adlib causes Bob O. to smile slightly out-of-character, which is left in because it looks like a sweet little moment in-character...

https://youtu.be/FFvVpLNXt80?t=333

Magnum Valentino

This isn't from a comedy but one of the wrestling computer games that came out a few years ago had so much dialogue in it that there were samples of the announcers flubbing their lines and asking for a retake that would occasionally be heard during matches. I think I read this happened in one of the Oblivion games as well?

Tikwid

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 28, 2021, 01:56:17 PM
This isn't from a comedy but one of the wrestling computer games that came out a few years ago had so much dialogue in it that there were samples of the announcers flubbing their lines and asking for a retake that would occasionally be heard during matches. I think I read this happened in one of the Oblivion games as well?
"Lady Umbranox has hired a new cap.....Lady Umbranox has hired a new captain of the guard"

This is a good bit from the end of the Hancock's Half Hour episode "A House on the Cliff" with Hancock chatting to Alan Simpson (playing Bill's foreman). It has scripted deliberate mistakes - which are a bit off topic - but it's loose enough that some lines seem like they might have been more spontaneous even though mistakes are being made on purpose.

Listen from 21.50

Hancock: Well, this isn't the first time I've been on the building lark.

Alan: I didn't think it was.

Hancock: As you can tell by the expert way I slice these bricks in half with me trowel, can't you?

Alan: Yes it's very, very clever, very clever.

Hancock: Mind you, me fingers aren't as long as they used to be.

Alan: Aren't they? No, well, does happen.

Hancock: Still we all make mistakes.

Alan Yes of course.

Hancock: I come from a long line of builders, me, you know.

Alan: Do you?

Hancock: My great grandfather helped to build the tower bridge.

Alan: No.

Hancock: Yes, he was the bloke who sawed it in half.

Alan: Was he?

Hancock: Then there's The Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Alan: Your family built that?

Hancock: Every stone.

Alan: Gawd, dear oh dear.

Hancock: My uncle Fred designed it. Well I say he designed it, I tell a lie, that isn't exactly true.

Alan: No?

Hancock: It was a... it was a rough sketch of me mother's wedding cake. The Italians liked it so we put it up.

Alan: So tell me, does it really lean?

Hancock: Ah, now well, strictly speaking no.

Alan: No?

Hancock: Between you and me it's dead straight.

Alan: Is it, yeah.

Hancock: Depends how you're standing of course.

Alan: Yes.

Hancock: It's the way they hold the cameras that, that's what does it you know.

Alan: Yes that's what.

Hancock: Anyway me biggest job, that's the one I was gonna tell you about...

Alan: Yes yes.

Hancock: Just a minute. Undoubtedly was the Forth Bridge.

Alan: Oh yes.

Hancock: It was the Forth Bridge. I remember distinctly 'cos the other three fell in.

Alan: Did they?

Hancock: Yes. Anyway I was in charge. I decided we'd start building from both sides and meet in the middle. Following?

Alan: Good idea. A good idea.

Hancock: I can see you're intelligent.

Hancock: Course you know the Forth Bridge. It's got you know those big arches that go up and down up and down all the way across.

Alan: Oh yes, yes, I know the ones yes.

Hancock: How those trains ever get up and down those things I'll never know. Still that's their worry; I was only building it.

Alan: That's right, yes, I remember.

Hancock: So anyway there we were. We started from either side. We had a race to see who could get to the middle first.

Alan: Oh, competition.

Hancock: Well it's a good thing.

Alan: Yes, I think so.

Hancock: I'm all for competition meself.

Alan: Butts(?) things up doesn't it.

Hancock: Sorry?

Alan: Butts things up.

Hancock: You're overdoing it a bit aren't you?

Alan: mumbles

Hancock: I expect so. Anyway, we were going along like a house.

Alan: On fire.

Hancock: On fire you should have put that in. We built the first twenty seven yards in three seconds.

Alan: No.

Hancock: Well we had to there was a train behind us. Well, we were doing very well right up until the fog sprang up.

Alan: Ooh dear.

Hancock: Well I don't know how it happened. The long and the short of it was...

Alan: Yeah?

Hancock: We passed each other. Well, I felt a right Toby jug I can tell you.

Alan: You would do.

Hancock: There was the other half of the bridge, twenty yards past me and six feet on one side. Well, I blamed it on the train driver.

Alan: Yeah?

Hancock: Cor. The bloke who was lifting the big girders about, it's your fault, I said. I was annoyed.

Alan: Well, naturally.

Hancock: Puce I was. Me whole face was red with anger.

Alan: Thought you said puce.

Hancock: I cle... well I did. I've got a right to change me mind, haven't I?

Alan: Yes, of course you have.

Hancock: Thank you very much.

Alan: Carry on.

Hancock: Just keep chipping in don't try and dominate. Well, as I said me whole face was red with anger.

Alan: Yeah.

Hancock: I clenched me fists till the muscles on me arms stood out like marbles.

Alan: Really?

Hancock: I looked over to him. I shook me fist. It's your fault, I said. You weren't looking where you were going, I said. I can do all that lot, I said, and go back and start again, I said. It was me speaking.

Hancock: Well, I don't know whether it was the authority in me voice or the sense of shame he must have felt but... he did it without a murmur, I should have said he done it without a murmur I'm sorry.

Alan: Doesn't matter.

Hancock: Grammatical mistake, we can all go wrong.

Hancock: He could see I meant it. He started his crane up and got going. Course he was eager to rectify his mistake, see.

Alan: Yes of course.

Hancock: There he was, I'll never forget it. Never forget it. Just as if it was today, swinging this huge crane round like a toy. Dead keen.

Alan: Was he.

Hancock: And do you know he had a sort of sheepish apologetic smile on his face.

Alan: Yeah, I know.

Hancock: Just as I walked away - having won me point - being the foreman, do you know what he did?

Alan: What?

Hancock: He dropped a ten ton girder on me head.

Bad Ambassador

From another episode, in which Sid points out what appears to be a squirrel:

Bill Kerr: "
Spoiler alert
That's not a Cyril, squid...
[close]
"

About a full minute of audience laughter until Hancock apologises on behalf of Mr Kerr.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 28, 2021, 08:08:26 PM
From another episode, in which Sid points out what appears to be a squirrel:

Bill Kerr: "
Spoiler alert
That's not a Cyril, squid...
[close]
"

About a full minute of audience laughter until Hancock apologises on behalf of Mr Kerr.

That's superb, scripted or fluffed.

Quote from: Jittlebags on July 28, 2021, 11:10:32 PM
That's superb, scripted or fluffed.

Nice bit in the 'Income Tax Demand' episode of HHH when Sid James has to deliver the line "I told Fothergill Witherspoon was fiddling, then I told Witherspoon Fothergill was fiddling' with predictable consequences.  Successfully delivered after Hancock advises him to 'have a run at it'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b007k4v4  about 13:05

Glebe

Something that's really annoying me, there's some moment in a sitcom where something falls over/is dropped and you can hear a bit of laughter in the audience, but it's left in... could be OFAH or summit. Or maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on July 29, 2021, 06:26:16 PM
Something that's really annoying me, there's some moment in a sitcom where something falls over/is dropped and you can hear a bit of laughter in the audience, but it's left in... could be OFAH or summit. Or maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing.

I don't know if it's the example you're thinking of but this happens in one of the episodes in either series XI or XII of Red Dwarf.  Lister is laying on his bunk and eating ice cream and a bit falls off and there's a massive audience reaction.  Watching the outtakes on the Blu-Ray reveals that the audience were laughing at it being a gaff, but bizarrely the reaction is left in the final episode's edit.

badaids

There's a terrible Nigel Planer sitcom from the early 90s (the one where he plays a school teacher) and ill never forget that in one random scene in a front room set, the boom operator is in plain sight pressed up against a wall in a place he obviously thinks is out of sight. The scene plays out and ends and thr boom operator is just standing there the whole time.

Glebe

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 30, 2021, 05:41:13 PMI don't know if it's the example you're thinking of but this happens in one of the episodes in either series XI or XII of Red Dwarf.  Lister is laying on his bunk and eating ice cream and a bit falls off and there's a massive audience reaction.  Watching the outtakes on the Blu-Ray reveals that the audience were laughing at it being a gaff, but bizarrely the reaction is left in the final episode's edit.

It's not Red Dwarf I'm thinking of, but that's interesting!

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Glebe on July 29, 2021, 06:26:16 PM
There is a moment in OFAH that I'm thinking of, it's in the pub I think, can't remember the details but there's definitely a fall and there are definitely people laughing.

Bongo_Christ

Quote from: badaids on July 30, 2021, 05:50:54 PM
There's a terrible Nigel Planer sitcom from the early 90s (the one where he plays a school teacher) and ill never forget that in one random scene in a front room set, the boom operator is in plain sight pressed up against a wall in a place he obviously thinks is out of sight. The scene plays out and ends and thr boom operator is just standing there the whole time.

A quick Googling suggests Bonjour La Classe (1993), and a further Youtubing presents a playlist of all 6 episodes, so since I'm mildly curious about the scene you mention, but not potentailly-3-tedious-hours-of-speed-watching curious enough to find the scene myself, I'll let you do it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWuTv-mE_d3nuJduTg_BPuVwfAV3yPYfp

Replies From View

In Mrs Doubtfire, where Robin Williams says "effor-less, effor-less, effortlessly".

It has always left an impression on me, that weird string of attempts, and maybe it stayed with the writers of the American version of The Office as well, as when Michael Scott does it in one episode it's too similar to be a coincidence.

badaids

Quote from: Bongo_Christ on July 31, 2021, 01:13:14 AM
A quick Googling suggests Bonjour La Classe (1993), and a further Youtubing presents a playlist of all 6 episodes, so since I'm mildly curious about the scene you mention, but not potentailly-3-tedious-hours-of-speed-watching curious enough to find the scene myself, I'll let you do it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWuTv-mE_d3nuJduTg_BPuVwfAV3yPYfp

Yes - that's it.  Not sure if I can be arsed to watch 3 hours of the shit to find it though. Mind you there sod all else to do.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on July 26, 2021, 11:01:35 AM
I was hoping this would get a mention.  If it was a mistake, it's a great one - it really adds to William H Macy's anguish and anger in that scene.

It was a mistake according to the director's commentary on the DVD

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on August 01, 2021, 10:07:58 AM
It was a mistake according to the director's commentary on the DVD

Indeed, but it works so well.  There's a Freudian element to it; as an emasculated man, Bill accidentally but tellingly implies that his wife possesses the cock in their relationship.  As you say, it wasn't intentional, but it works so well from a psychological perspective.

Magnum Valentino

I wonder if Yellow Sumbarine is on The Best of the Beatles.

Dusty Substance

Magnum Valentino

Ah Dusty I'm sorry, I did that thing I always grimace at, not reading the rest of the thread.

You are clearly an excellent poster.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 28, 2021, 11:37:48 PM
Nice bit in the 'Income Tax Demand' episode of HHH when Sid James has to deliver the line "I told Fothergill Witherspoon was fiddling, then I told Witherspoon Fothergill was fiddling' with predictable consequences.  Successfully delivered after Hancock advises him to 'have a run at it'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b007k4v4  about 13:05

That's lovely, so nice to hear Hancock laugh like that.

The Ombudsman

It's been a long time since I watched it, but I think on the DVD extras of That Peter Kay Thing he talks about a scene were he stands with a cross and preaches. IIRC, some people actually gathered around to listen which wasn't intentional. I'm sure there are others on that as well but can't remember them. Might be worth a re-watch as the commentary track was quite funny.

BeardFaceMan

There's a nice one in Mr Show of Bob Odenkirk on a golf course making David Cross corpse which was left in as they had no choice.

Solid Jim

In the NTNOCN Jeremy Beadle sketch discussed recently, Griff begins the taped sequence with "I'm standing outside the house of Geoffrey Lewis's house..."

There's a bit from Bang Bang It's Reeves & Mortimer which I've always assumed is Vic genuinely stumbling over his line:
QuoteBOB: I think I've gone blind, Vic! Hopefully it's temporary.
VIC: But it vay... very well may b-be perm... permanent.

Also Otis & Marvin's moustaches in The Smell Of. Seemed like it was a mistake the first time and then they played up to it in subsequent sketches.

neveragain

Quote from: Solid Jim on August 02, 2021, 06:13:22 PM
In the NTNOCN Jeremy Beadle sketch discussed recently, Griff begins the taped sequence with "I'm standing outside the house of Geoffrey Lewis's house..."

I'm pretty sure that's a joke about the presenter Griff is imitating (Henry Kelly?) phrasing things weirdly, and he says something else that sounds a bit odd later on. But I'll have to rewatch.

An tSaoi

My Family

120 episodes were accidentally written, rehearsed, shot, edited and broadcast.

What a blunder!

Solid Jim

Quote from: neveragain on August 02, 2021, 08:07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a joke about the presenter Griff is imitating (Henry Kelly?) phrasing things weirdly, and he says something else that sounds a bit odd later on. But I'll have to rewatch.

Ah, could be I'm missing some of the requisite cultural context. I confess I only ever caught NTNOCN on repeats...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 02, 2021, 08:12:50 PM
My Family

120 episodes were accidentally written, rehearsed, shot, edited and broadcast.

What a blunder!

TBC, There were some shows what where written to which the actors said " We're not performing this load of old bollocks".

BeardFaceMan

Will Smith had never acted before, so for the first few episodes of the first season of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air you can see him silently mouthing the other actors dialogue as he is waiting to speak.