Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:44:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm closing the internet! (For an hour)

Started by H-O-W-L, July 22, 2021, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

So with the weather lately I've started taking an hour out every night (about eleven to midnight or so) to sit in the garden with a fire pit or a grill full of coals going and just relax without any internet browsing or anything-- most I do is stick a ralfy video on in the background or some Aphex Twin. Anyone else found any success in relaxing outside via similar means?

idunnosomename

madhair60

sounds shit, stick your garden up your arse

Mobius

Chedney Honks

Nothing I want to do more right now than light a nice big fire.

Shame I got no coals or wood, very jealous of you mate!

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 22, 2021, 09:50:28 PM
Nothing I want to do more right now than light a nice big fire.

Shame I got no coals or wood, very jealous of you mate!

Aye, I'm lucky to have a big garden thanks to living with me parents. If you've got one of those little standing BBQ's you can get one of those fire-logs, it's what I use-- though you have to be careful that it's big enough. Can't barbecue on it, but it creates a nice big flame for a couple hours.

Couldn't understand the appeal of BBQ's or fires or anything til I tried it and I realized just how fucking satisfying it is to just sit there watching a big load of fwooshy fwoosh flooff

ZoyzaSorris

Bit hot for fires ain't it? They do look bloody nice at night though.

Brian Freeze

We are big fans of fires in the garden. Love relaxing by one. Feels good for the soul. Blindboy often talks about the theory that the meditative effect of glowing coals shimmering and flames flickering had a positive impact on brain growth and development of early humans. Could be bollocks but I like the idea.

Havent had one since we got the puppy. Might have to try one seeing as she is a bit bigger and see how sensible she is.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 22, 2021, 12:00:57 PM
Anyone else found any success in relaxing outside via similar means?

No because mosquitoes.

I generally love that kind of peaceful outdoors-at-night feel you sometimes get when camping or something. It gives me a nostalgic warmth: I grew up in a fairly rural middle-class area so my friends and I had gardens where we could sit out at night drinking and chatting, undisturbed by noise and action on the streets or at the neighbours'.

purlieu

My room gets the sun full force in the mornings, so this week I've been sat in the shade of the back garden reading for four or five hours at the start of every day. No music, only using my phone to read texts, it's been bloody lovely. My internet usage is down to about two or three hours a day at the minute anyway and my mental health is better than it's been in years.

bgmnts

Would be absolutely fucking ace to have a garden in general but in this heat it would be incredible.

Flat life is shit.

zomgmouse

BlodwynPig

I watched the internet burning in the streets of the old town. Gnarled, black eyed people grinned lasciviously at me from dark corners where the light of the flames could not reach. "Gotta garden?" they burbled in sinister unison.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on July 22, 2021, 10:05:32 PM
Bit hot for fires ain't it? They do look bloody nice at night though.

At night it's cool enough that they're fine. IMO it's a great sensation to sit at a close enough distance to feel the heat (while obviously remaining safe) and let it heat you up to the point of sweating. A kind of therapeutic, natural sweating reaction compared to the muggy bullshit can't-cool-down vibe of this weather.

who cares

Like a sort of mild sweat lodge?

I go down to the footbridge just round the corner. It's cool at night, and there's Dob Enton bats, no idea how to spell that. Sometimes it's too dark to see the bats but you can hear their wings as they pass by.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: who cares on July 24, 2021, 11:26:50 PM
Like a sort of mild sweat lodge?

Never been to one but I imagine it's how it feels aye

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 24, 2021, 12:03:10 PM
At night it's cool enough that they're fine. IMO it's a great sensation to sit at a close enough distance to feel the heat (while obviously remaining safe) and let it heat you up to the point of sweating. A kind of therapeutic, natural sweating reaction compared to the muggy bullshit can't-cool-down vibe of this weather.

Was going to say bollocks, total bollocks, mad arsehole knobfucking wankstain opinion toss, load of fucking bullshit from a taste of the hell to come, but I was sat next to a fire last night and it was nice so fair play.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 25, 2021, 07:09:10 AM
Was going to say bollocks, total bollocks, mad arsehole knobfucking wankstain opinion toss, load of fucking bullshit from a taste of the hell to come, but I was sat next to a fire last night and it was nice so fair play.

I know right? I thought the same but I gave it a go since my usual relaxation method is unavailable. Perfect. Fall asleep in minutes when I come inside the house.