Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS4

Started by sevendaughters, July 22, 2021, 01:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crumb

Most of my more obvious choices have already come up, so here's some other ones.

If you want to waste colossal amounts of time and like JRPGs, Persona 5 Royal and Dragon Quest 11 are great.

Monster Hunter World is ace if somehwat niche.

MGSV is a game that plays fanstatically well and uses that as the basis for a weirdly structured game and rubbish story. If you like stealth action and coming up with stupid approaches to things it can be amazing.

WRC 9 has very narrow appeal but some of  the best ever course design in a racing game.

Chedney Honks

I agree with all of the above, some great recommendations there.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 22, 2021, 08:05:46 PM
Set up a Japanese PSN account, buy some Yen PSN credit off PlayAsia and buy Battle Garegga and Ketsui. This is actually the best thing you can do but only the happy few will appreciate it.

The M2 ports are the perfect in as well! Super easy modes and fun, forgiving arranges.
Now I know how a Jehovah's witness feels. My face hammered flat by a million slammed doors, my confidence ravaged by rejection, but my belief stronger than ever.

Yagawa, Yagawa, I try to spread the good word but the kids these days, they're only interested in spidermen and sniffing poopers.

TrenterPercenter

Jeeez state of some of these recommendations

Bloodborne
X-Com 2
Hollow Knight
Control
God of War/Last of Us 2

The Crumb

You're right, needs more Serious Dark Games that run at 15 fps

beanheadmcginty

Xcom on a console? I can't even begin to imagine that. How do you rename all your soldiers to funny rude names with a controller?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 22, 2021, 03:34:58 PM
I have a Chaos Engine avatar because the last games I played regularly were on the Amiga 1200. Treat me like a n00b.

Did you ever play Frontier Elite on the 1200? Elite Dangerous is on the PS4, which is a follow on.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 23, 2021, 09:15:20 PM
Xcom on a console? I can't even begin to imagine that. How do you rename all your soldiers to funny rude names with a controller?

It works well as it happens (also you do know you can plug in a keyboard if you really want to type quickly).

Also the RES remakes and RES 5 are great.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 23, 2021, 06:50:49 PM
Jeeez state of some of these recommendations

Bloodborne
X-Com 2
Hollow Knight
Control
God of War/Last of Us 2

Don't put yourself down.

QuoteGod of War/Last of Us 2

They can't be THAT interchangeable, surely!

TrenterPercenter

I was just thinking as they both use the single shot (loading screen) thing; they are both beautiful linear games that are very entertaining just for that element.  Like movies with gameplay elements.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 23, 2021, 11:00:04 PM
Don't put yourself down.

Oof!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 23, 2021, 11:07:39 PMOof!

Sorry. Didn't mean it. Open goal, had to be done! :D

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 23, 2021, 11:07:39 PMI was just thinking as they both use the single shot (loading screen) thing;

What is that? I don't understand.

Do you mean that the cutscenes are all in first person like half life? It's like a film done in one take, sort of thing?
What's the loading screen you're talking about? They're all hidden while the cutscenes are playing or something?

Movies with gameplay elements doesn't sound fun to me, but yeah, that's probably a great way for someone not familiar with games to get into them.

Chedney Honks

You got it, that's right. On a similar note, Ketsui does the same thing while your score and shit comes up you just keep flying in the background and then when you reach the next stage all the score crap disappears and you carry on in 'one take'.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 23, 2021, 11:17:05 PM
Sorry. Didn't mean it. Open goal, had to be done! :D

Don't worry Oof! is very much playful hurt saying.

Chedders has answered yes "one-take" - they are both big triple AAA titles both are pretty great but in a list of 5; I would only go with one or the other so not to be at the expense of other games.