Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Waxy Lemon loses libel case

Started by Flouncer, July 22, 2021, 03:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-57930901

So it would appear that Are Tommy™ has made false claims about a young Syrian lad, and will have to stump up £100,000 out of his coke fund. I hadn't heard about this case before today - the following is what I can gather from BBC News articles.

Jamal Hijazi, a Syrian refugee living in Huddersfield, was the subject of a viral video in which he was attacked by a white lad, Bailey McLaren, who pushed him to the floor and poured water into his mouth (in the video McLaren threatens to drown him, and the assault is widely referred to as an attempt at waterboarding in the media). McLaren was subsequently permanently excluded and accepted a police caution. A crowdfunding campaign was started to support Hijazi, eventually raising £160,000.

Tombo responded to this by making two videos in which he claimed that Hijazi "violently attacks young English girls in his school," and had "beat a girl black and blue." He also alleged that Hijazi had threatened to stab another pupil. Following this his family received so much abuse they had to be relocated. It came out during the trial that Robinson had contacted staff at Hijazi's school and secretly recorded the conversations he had with them. He represented himself, claiming that he couldn't afford a lawyer, using the defence that what he had said was substantially true - clearly, the court disagreed.

Sebastian Cobb

I saw a tweet about it and thought 'haha!' but the full story is actually quite grim.

Nice people did the crowdfunding, assumed a lawyer might've taken it on pro-bono.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2021, 03:15:58 PM
Nice people did the crowdfunding, assumed a lawyer might've taken it on pro-bono.

Lol

Independent journalist made me chuckle. Should be in prison for that really shouldn't he?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2021, 03:23:48 PM
Lol

Well 'no win no fee' or whatever. People do that for deportation stuff so I figured someone possibly around that might've thought they'd get an alright payday out of it.

phantom_power

BBC call him "Anti-Islam activist" which seems to be trying to polish a turd a little bit

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Flouncer on July 22, 2021, 03:11:53 PMclaiming that he couldn't afford a lawyer

I'm skeptical that the £100,000 will see the light of day. I wonder what the statistics are of people actually getting the cash they are awarded by judges.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 22, 2021, 03:34:38 PM
I'm skeptical that the £100,000 will see the light of day. I wonder what the statistics are of people actually getting the cash they are awarded by judges.

Does the court not pay out to the victim then the guilty party pay the debt back?

You can go to prison for not paying court-fines, it's one of the reasons fines for begging are so pernicious.

Flouncer

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 22, 2021, 03:34:38 PM

Well, he filed for bankruptcy in March. I don't know what other creditors he has, and where this ruling would stand in the pecking order.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: phantom_power on July 22, 2021, 03:27:13 PM
BBC call him "Anti-Islam activist" which seems to be trying to polish a turd a little bit

I suppose they can't call him 'full-time cunt' but I always liked 'the actor known as'.

Johnny Yesno

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2021, 03:36:46 PM
Does the court not pay out to the victim then the guilty party pay the debt back?

No.

QuoteYou can go to prison for not paying court-fines, it's one of the reasons fines for begging are so pernicious.

This isn't a fine though - fines are criminal punishments, libel is a civil matter.

Sebastian Cobb

So what are the ramifications of not paying a civil fine? Or does it just result in more legal bollocks and headaches?

steveh

Legal costs estimated at £500K too. Reported before to have been trying to open bank accounts in Russia on a tour there last year.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2021, 04:56:49 PM
So what are the ramifications of not paying a civil fine? Or does it just result in more legal bollocks and headaches?

Jail innit