Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Isaac Hayes

Started by kalowski, July 22, 2021, 04:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Fucking superstar, right? I'm not interested in people like Barry White who just performed a weak simulacrum of Hayes wonderful work.
The man co-wrote some real classics: Soul Man, Hold On, I'm Comin' and You Don't Know Like I Know before he started his own recording career.
His first few albums are just incredible. I'd say everything from Hot Buttered Soul to Chocolate Chip is worth having. I recently got Juicy Fruit in vinyl, fun but not essential. Where he is essential is with his long songs. To me, his Walk on By is the definitive version, as is his I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself.
My dad has the original version of Black Moses, with the fold out cover:

I think he went all Scientology in his later years, before dying in the treadmill, but his early 70s work is peerless and beautiful.
Am I the only Isaac fan CaBber?

DrGreggles

Isaac Hayes was great, but then so was Barry White.

crankshaft

The only album I own is Hot Buttered Soul and it is a masterpiece. A 17 minute cover version of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" replete with a 15 minute spoken intro should be hell - but it's incredible.

kalowski

PS I know everyone loves Shaft but for me his best soundtrack is Truck Turner.

Dr Rock

He is as a God to me.

Video Game Fan 2000

By The Time I Get To Phoenix is at least six minutes too short.

kalowski

Wish I had even a tenth of the sexiness of Mr Hayes.

Video Game Fan 2000

I Stand Accused is another fantastic spoken word epic. But the Scrooge-like bastard only gives us twelve minutes of it. Boo.

I loved listening to Hot Buttered Soul for the first time and discovering where the siren piano from Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos came from

Dusty Substance

Quote from: kalowski on July 22, 2021, 04:20:22 PM
I'm not interested in people like Barry White who just performed a weak simulacrum of Hayes wonderful work.

Agreed that Issac Hayes is a staggering God of smooth sexy soul funk but take umbrage with the above quote. Barry White was fucking awesome too.

Video Game Fan 2000

Yeah agree Isaac is a God you don't have to badmouth someone as awesome as Barry White to big him up.

White was a production genius. The strings on his records could sound unearthly, check out "Its Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to Me", what a sound.

Sebastian Cobb

One of them ones I reckon I should know way more than I do about.

Most of what I know is: Truck Turner is a fucking masterpiece.

The Culture Bunker

I have 'Hot Buttered Soul' and agree it's brilliant, alongside those Sam & Dave hits he did with David Porter - that alone is a significant legacy. But I have to echo the above comments that there's no need to slag off big Bazza - his first two albums (maybe others, but those are the two I have) are fantastic too.

I'd go with Hayes being the better songwriter, but the arrangements on a lot of those 70s white tracks are absolutely sublime.

Keebleman

Isaac Hayes died on my 40th birthday.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Keebleman on July 23, 2021, 03:46:15 AM
Isaac Hayes died on my 40th birthday.

I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing when I found out Barry White had died. My burst in my bedroom and exclaimed "Barry White's died!" right as I was nuts deep in my then girlfriend. Given that Barry was known for his sexual songs, it was quite an appropriate way of hearing the news.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 24, 2021, 06:03:09 PM
I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing when I found out Barry White had died. My burst in my bedroom and exclaimed "Barry White's died!" right as I was nuts deep in my then girlfriend. Given that Barry was known for his sexual songs, it was quite an appropriate way of hearing the news.

This post is like a round of Blankety Blank.

Wogan: Old Dusty Substance never forgot that fateful day when he was nuts deep in his then-girlfriend because his BLANK burst in his bedroom and exclaimed "Barry White's died!"  His BLANK burst in his bedroom and exclaimed "Barry White's died!. Whaddoyereckon Tony? Hot water bottle? Good answer.

kalowski

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 24, 2021, 06:32:25 PM

Wogan: Old Dusty Substance never forgot that fateful day when he was nuts deep in his then-girlfriend because his BLANK burst in his bedroom and exclaimed "Barry White's died!"  His BLANK burst in his bedroom and exclaimed "Barry White's died!. Whaddoyereckon Tony? Hot water bottle? Good answer.
I have had three beers but by God this has sent me into uncontrollable laughter.

badaids

What about his Scientology connections. I love Isaac Hayes as much as the next person but that puts me right off.  Same for Beck.

DrGreggles

Wasn't Beck born into it? I think he left too.

Video Game Fan 2000

I love Isaac Hayes but its difficult to enjoy his music since he joined a dangerous, right wing cult that cuts people off from their families, promotes libertarian attitudes to drug and climate science, cultural intolerance, anti-LGBT bigotry supports euthanising the disabled, and uses internet mobs to silence critics... can't believe he was in South Park. He must have being going through a desperate patch.

Leo2112

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 24, 2021, 06:32:25 PM

Hardest I have laughed in a good while.

Key

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 22, 2021, 11:33:24 PM
I have 'Hot Buttered Soul' and agree it's brilliant

Hot Buttered Thetan, surely

kalowski

Scientology be damned, I'm listening to his version if Never Can Say Goodbye and it is so perfectly marvelous it knocks every other version into a bin labelled "ignore". His voice is amazing, he pauses just at the right time, using a relaxed but utterly controlled rhythm, over the top of that simple, soulful backing.

chveik

the best DJ Screw precursor

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 24, 2021, 11:45:09 PM
Wasn't Beck born into it? I think he left too.

Beck was born into it AND married into it. I believe it was the reason for the marriage ending. He's not into it, I'm nearly sure I've read him saying that.

badaids

Quote from: Key on July 25, 2021, 04:54:29 AM
Hot Buttered Thetan, surely

We'll done this made me do a real lol.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 30, 2021, 05:01:12 PM
Beck was born into it AND married into it. I believe it was the reason for the marriage ending. He's not into it, I'm nearly sure I've read him saying that.

Well Beck opened up about being a Scientologist a few years ago when the 'church' asked lots of its high profile members to speak up about its positives, in the face of a peak of negative press about Scientology. Beck was almost apologetic about it, but it still changed the way I think about him. It's hard to reconcile the early stoner stuff on Mellow Gold with the bridge to total freedom. Where did you read he was out?

kalowski

Who cares about the Scientology when you look this cool?

Echo Valley 2-6809

'Have you heard Isaac Hayes?'

'Yep... I feel sorry for all those kids who've only just learned the alphabet.'

'You're damn right!'

The Instrumentals compilation is great in-car music.

Video Game Fan 2000

What the best Isaac sampling tracks?

Black Steel, Glory Box, Hell is Round the Corner, Born and Raised in Compton, Lickupon... feel like I'm missing obvious ones.

kalowski

It's the beautiful simple piano line from Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedamystic that PE use on Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos.
https://www.whosampled.com/sample/64/Public-Enemy-Black-Steel-in-the-Hour-of-Chaos-Isaac-Hayes-Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic/

chveik

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 01, 2021, 03:43:53 PM
What the best Isaac sampling tracks?

Black Steel, Glory Box, Hell is Round the Corner, Born and Raised in Compton, Lickupon... feel like I'm missing obvious ones.

3 in the Mornin'?