Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:33:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Isaac Hayes

Started by kalowski, July 22, 2021, 04:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 25, 2021, 12:53:25 AM
I love Isaac Hayes but its difficult to enjoy his music since he joined a dangerous, right wing cult that cuts people off from their families, promotes libertarian attitudes to drug and climate science, cultural intolerance, anti-LGBT bigotry supports euthanising the disabled, and uses internet mobs to silence critics... can't believe he was in South Park. He must have being going through a desperate patch.

If it helps, he didn't join the church until the 90s, long after all of his greatest work.  I know he definitely had money problems throughout his career.

One Love by Massive Attack is another big tune based on an sample, off something from the jigsaw album.

This off-the cuff Raekwon track off a mixtape makes atmospheric use of "Bumpy's Lament" off the Shaft soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoqxE4lmg_Y

Custard

Big fan of Hot Buttered Soul. One of the absolute greatest soul records, I'd say

Was good as Chef too

badaids

Was he actually from Hayes? Or from nearby Yeading?

DrGreggles

Quote from: badaids on August 04, 2021, 11:35:26 AM
Was he actually from Hayes? Or from nearby Yeading?

Isaac, Hayes. Otis, Yeading.

badaids

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 04, 2021, 05:35:45 PM
Isaac, Hayes. Otis, Yeading.

This is good Dr G.  Very good.

kalowski

I've very recently got Live at the Sahara Tahoe and it's fantastic. His band are absolutely on fire and he plays a magnificent version of Light My Fire, which I think will become my favourite version of all.

itsfredtitmus

He's no Bill Withers, though, yeah?

kalowski

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on October 19, 2021, 10:27:26 PM
Well, I'm currently listening to Isaac's 19-minute "Ain't No Sunshine" from Wattstax and it's superb.

SpiderChrist

True, he isn't. Bill Withers is Bill Withers.

The Culture Bunker

His former labelmate Duck Dunn could be, though, if you stuck him in your Toshiba for a while.