Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MP suspended from House of Commons for a day for telling the truth

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 22, 2021, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Dawn Butler has been suspended from the House of Commons for rightly saying the prime minister "lied to the House and the country over and over again" about a range of pandemic-related issues.

QuoteActing Deputy Speaker, Judith Cummins, asked her to "reflect on her words and perhaps correct the record".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-57935246

Butler replied asking if the Acting Deputy Speaker would rather a "weakened leg or a severed leg" which I think was a reference to the House of Commons under this prime minister.

What happens if an MP is ordered to leave the chamber and does not? Does the Serjeant-At-Arms drag them out?

I think the MP who speaks while Butler withdraws is the bloke who became a CAB meme.

It's clear that as well as lying on a range of pandemic-related matters the Prime Minister has lied about many other matters.

phantom_power

I thought it would have been Jess Phillips. Isn't she proud of how she speaks truth to power and they are all afraid of her?

bakabaka

It appears that calling Johnson a liar is as heinous as perverting the course of justice:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-charlie-elphicke-judge-b1887777.html

In short, five Tory MP's tried to influence the court case against a colleague who had assaulted a couple of women in a blatant case of contempt of court.

According to Gov.uk "If you're found to be in contempt of court, you could go to prison for up to 2 years, get a fine, or both." Or, if you're an MP, to take the day off and for the two most egregious perpetrators, say sorry.

Fuck.

kalowski

Butler ejected from the House but CaB favourite Rees-Mogg allowed to stay after racism.
QuoteJacob Rees-Mogg has issued an apology after complaints from MPs that he had used racist language, but claimed he "didn't know" he had used an offensive term.

The House of Commons leader used the term "yellow peril", which has historically been considered to be an anti-Asian slur, to describe the Liberal Democrats during a Commons debate.

Responding to a question from Conservative MP Damien Moore about transport links in his constituency, Rees-Mogg had replied: "I hear gossip that [Moore] is actually working in collaboration, and whisper it quietly, with the Liberal Democrats, in his area against these schemes, which I think shows how completely lunatic they must be to have created an alliance between him and the yellow peril."

Fambo Number Mive

You know you're right when John Rentoul disagrees with you

Quote@JohnRentoul
There isn't even a Labour deputy leadership election in the offing & yet here is the cheap publicity stunt

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1418227099656089606

Protesting the venality of the government is serving the people, not a cheap publicity stunt. Dawn would be a much better Labour leader than Keith.

wrec

Presumably she was aware that she'd be asked to withdraw the comment or leave and tbe impact that would have, but it's an absolutely noble example of rule breaking.

Presumably Keith will now make a statement about the paramount importance of parliamentary etiquette, but will she be censured by the party?

Edit: saying presumably a lot there

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 22, 2021, 08:59:14 PM
You know you're right when John Rentoul disagrees with you

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1418227099656089606

Protesting the venality of the government is serving the people, not a cheap publicity stunt. Dawn would be a much better Labour leader than Keith.

John Rentoul: "Author with Jon Davis, Heroes or Villains? The Blair Govt Reconsidered". I wonder which of the two he plumped for?

touchingcloth

Is calling him a liar much worse than the other bants which goes down in the commons? Imagine being the speaker and picking up on that of all things.