Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

World of Sexualharrassmentcraft

Started by druss, July 22, 2021, 05:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57929543

No idea whether Blizzard was a terrible place to work before the takeover but my instinct is that it wasn't as bad as the current state. Hoping Mike Morhaime's new company becomes what Blizzard used to be.

Thursday

It's fucking awful even by the standards were used to hearing about. Truly horrible.

Famous Mortimer

I just wish really rich companies didn't lie quite as much as they did, or there were extra punishments for libelling an entire state.

brat-sampson

They'll be fined or, more likely, settle out of court for an amount that won't hurt their bottom line as much as a negative CoD preview.

I've uninstalled BattleNet and am seriously considering wiping my account.

bgmnts

Ah I read a tweet from a woman who said she was unfairly sacked at Blizzard and alluded to something. No idea this was it.

Lad culture in big corporations sounds about right.

druss

Quote from: brat-sampson on July 22, 2021, 06:01:46 PM
They'll be fined or, more likely, settle out of court for an amount that won't hurt their bottom line as much as a negative CoD preview.

I've uninstalled BattleNet and am seriously considering wiping my account.
Yeah not a bad shout. Used to love everything Blizzard did but the only thing I'm remotely excited about is Diablo 4 (maybe the D2 remaster but not to the point where I'd give these cunts my money now) and if Diablo 3 is anything to go by there's a fair chance it will be a disappointment.

Gurke and Hare

I like the way Activision said in their defence that they've introduced compulsory anti-sexual harassment training as if that's a hallmark of a non-toxic workplace.

evilcommiedictator

Even more reasons not to give a fuck about Diablo 4 and D2 remastered, why give them money at this point when they've successfully fucked every release in the past 10 years *waves to Overwatch fans about O2*

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 22, 2021, 09:04:15 PM
I like the way Activision said in their defence that they've introduced compulsory anti-sexual harassment training as if that's a hallmark of a non-toxic workplace.

I'm not a sexist misogynist. My mother happens to be a woman, you know.

evilcommiedictator

Even better for those unsure what side to take here, go and check out the prices for Diablo 2: Remastered

brat-sampson

Here's an incredible aggregate of more info that's come to light over the past week, including breast-feeding rooms without locks, that men would enter, talk of harassment and misogyny at a recruitment conference, and 'A former vice president alleged an executive asked her to have sex with him "because she 'deserved to have some fun' after her boyfriend had died weeks earlier".'

More at the source, including links to the other various articles...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-31-more-activision-blizzard-allegations-emerge-as-former-dev-calls-for-industry-unionisation

bgmnts

Quote from: brat-sampson on July 31, 2021, 01:18:37 PM
Here's an incredible aggregate of more info that's come to light over the past week, including breast-feeding rooms without locks, that men would enter.

Amazed they even have breastfeeding rooms to be fair. I was working at a voluntary organisation and the team leader of the play service was breastfeeding her baby in the office and the old liverspotted cunt MD came in and said like "lets have a go on them then" or something to that effect.
Fucking mindboggling levels of lechery there.

brat-sampson

True, I'm sure Blizzard or even the Gaming Industry as a whole, are hardly alone in corporate misogyny, but it's still always depressing as fuck to read, and the more law suits people file or the more it gets called out, the better.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 22, 2021, 09:04:15 PM

The most depressing thing about that kind of training is when people say they found it enlightening. What kind of human being doesn't know basic decency by the time they're adults? When I was at EA we had to do it every year and it really was insult your intelligence content.

Thursday

The breastfeeding room thing, really is unbelievable. Are these men 12 years old? If it wasn't such awful creepy abuse it's like something you'd come up with as a joke.

"Haha imagine a bunch of guys that are so juvenile they get excited to go into breastfeeding rooms... oh."

jamiefairlie

Juvenile behaviour is condoned as too many believe it goes along with creativity, which is prized above all else. The eccentric genius BS is still a live concept in gaming companies.

Alberon

I've been playing the Diablo games on and off for over twenty years and the old Blizzard has been slowly bleeding away since it was taken over by Activision.

While there is never a good time for a sexual harassment scandal but this story broke as WoW has grown increasingly stale. And it's far from the only problem with botched releases and the moronic fiasco of launching a mobile game at a mostly PC gamer convention.

I bought Diablo 2 and 3 at launch, but I won't be doing that for 4 (if and when it appears). If the company can't prove it has changed and dealt with its past I won't support it and neither will many others.