Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:53:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Using song titles or lyrics as a punchline

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 22, 2021, 09:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I was going to add this to that 'things that aren't ever funny' thread or even the 'pathetic attempts at comedy' but thought I should start a new thread really.

Tom Binns is playing my local and his whole act seems to be this. His character is a hospital DJ who talks about stuff like KY Jelly and then plays 'Love really Hurts Without You' or a dedication from a man to his dear wife who lost an eye and plays 'The One I Love'. It's just shit.

They also did it in the radio series of League of Gentlemen. I think Berniece started as a local or radio dj and she'd always play inappropriate songs to go with the news report.

Are there any good or remotely funny examples of this?

BeardFaceMan

I've only seen Binns on 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, and what makes him even shitter is that he has to sledgehammer home every punchline, its not enough to just play the song as the punchline, he has to sing along to it too. Christ, imagine watching that for an hour.

Rizla

I thought this was about those jokes where the punchline is "It's a knick knack, Pattie Wack, give the frog a loan", or "Hans that do dishes can be soft as Gervaise" or "Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer". Nothing worse than some cunt revving one of them up. Even if it's Norm.

lankyguy95

If you're going to do it then commit, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjthhoo65do

There is at least an element of creative thought involved in that game.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Rizla on July 22, 2021, 09:27:51 PM
I thought this was about those jokes where the punchline is "It's a knick knack, Pattie Wack, give the frog a loan", or "Hans that do dishes can be soft as Gervaise" or "Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer". Nothing worse than some cunt revving one of them up. Even if it's Norm.

The other similar thing I hate is people making up stories and using songtitles in there. Stuff like "It was Boneheads bank Holiday and Up in the Sky there was a rock and roll star." My sister used to write me letters like that when she was 14 and I fucking hated them, stupid cunting bitch.

Dusty Substance

There's a scene in The Tall Guy where, having just been dumped by Emma Thompson, a depressed Jeff Goldblum switches on the radio and Let The Heartache Begin is playing, so he tunes to a different station and Heartbreak Hotel is playing, so turns the dial again to a station playing Breaking Up Is Hard To  Do (a Neil Sedaka song but Philip Pope is the credited singer).

This scene has also reminded me a Looney Tunes short where Sylvester is resisting the temptation to eat Tweety Pie, doesn't even want to think about birds so he puts on the radio and the announcer says "That was 'Bye-Bye Birdie', and now 'When The Red Red Robin Comes Bob-Bob-Bobbin' Along'". 

DrGreggles

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 22, 2021, 09:09:23 PM
I was going to add this to that 'things that aren't ever funny' thread or even the 'pathetic attempts at comedy' but thought I should start a new thread really.

PARKLIFE!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 22, 2021, 09:56:54 PM
There's a scene in The Tall Guy where, having just been dumped by Emma Thompson, a depressed Jeff Goldblum switches on the radio and Let The Heartache Begin is playing, so he tunes to a different station and Heartbreak Hotel is playing, so turns the dial again to a station playing Breaking Up Is Hard To  Do (a Neil Sedaka song but Philip Pope is the credited singer).

They did a good gag about that kind of thing in BASEketball, when Trey puts the radio on and a very specific and personal song starts playing.

idunnosomename

The Simpsons basically had this as an early running joke, sort of alongside the Moe prank calls

Is it common to do this with Tom Jones songs?

Spoiler alert
It's not unusual!
[close]

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

zomgmouse

I think it's pretty funny in a knowingly naff sort of way

Captain Z

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 22, 2021, 09:09:23 PM

Tom Binns is playing my local and his whole act seems to be this. His character is a hospital DJ who talks about stuff like KY Jelly and then plays 'Love really Hurts Without You' or a dedication from a man to his dear wife who lost an eye and plays 'The One I Love'. It's just shit.

They also did it in the radio series of League of Gentlemen. I think Berniece started as a local or radio dj and she'd always play inappropriate songs to go with the news report.

Are there any good or remotely funny examples of this?

Sounds like his set hasn't changed at all since I saw him do this in 2008/9, and I get the impression from this forum that he'd been flogging it for a while even then.

About halfway through, someone in the audience shouted out "do
Spoiler alert
Search For The Hero
[close]
!" to which he could only reply "thanks for spoiling the final joke of the set, there". I'd be interested to know if that is still the case.

Autopsy Turvey

Even The Day Today isn't above this, with their This Is Our War soundtrack album featuring songs like Boom Bang A Bang and Disco Inferno.

The one that sprung to mind is Peter Kay's favourite about how Bob Marley likes his doughnuts, which is at least brief.

Can't believe someone's got a whole act based around pretending to be a hospital radio DJ, very 90s. Talk about choosing your targets.

DrGreggles

KYTV did one on their 60's special, where footage of JFK's assassination was accompanied by Clodagh Rodgers' Jack in the Box.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Tony Yeboah

James Richardson reading out the Italian football scores with puns on Elvis Costello songs.

idunnosomename

you cant really go wrong with a Clodagh Rodgers reference

sutin

In Seinfeld, Jerry once exclaimed "oh help me Rhonda" to George.

amateur

There's a solid Springsteen lyric drop in The Sopranos:

QuoteTony: Where the fuck you been? You're late.

Christopher: Highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive.

Tony: Oh, you're gonna get fucking cute now?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Captain Z on July 23, 2021, 02:06:34 AM
Sounds like his set hasn't changed at all since I saw him do this in 2008/9, and I get the impression from this forum that he'd been flogging it for a while even then.

Astonishingly, that hospital radio character/routine shows up in one of the old Lee and Herring radio shows from the 90s. So an extraordinary amount of time to be trotting out something so weak.

non capisco

Quote from: amateur on July 23, 2021, 11:43:15 AM
There's a solid Springsteen lyric drop in The Sopranos:

At least they didn't have Silvio 'react' to it. Or did they? I can't remember!

amateur

Quote from: non capisco on July 23, 2021, 12:01:22 PM
At least they didn't have Silvio 'react' to it. Or did they? I can't remember!

They didn't. It's a fucking great delivery from Michael Imperioli though.

famethrowa

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 22, 2021, 09:56:54 PM

It's a good gag, but completely ripped off from Better Off Dead from 4 years prior even using some of the same songs. Curtis you hack. (Though I enjoyed the Lloyd Webber parody)

https://youtu.be/WAhf6lPH-hg

McChesney Duntz

And Albert Brooks got there before either of them in Modern Romance. Goddammit.

Brundle-Fly

Come on, one of the best punchlines ever is "Pardon me, Joe, is this the cat who chewed your new shoe?". Puns can be really funny but as long as the setup is as excruciatingly contrived as possible.

See the 'My wife is going to the Caribbean' subverted jokes too; more recently revived in the last series of Inside No.9 Episode 1.

The Mollusk

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 22, 2021, 10:23:43 PM
The Simpsons basically had this as an early running joke, sort of alongside the Moe prank calls

Didn't you hear Marge? They have no bananas! They have no bananas today!

DrGreggles