Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:11:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Berlin Alexanderplatz - tv series

Started by rjd2, July 22, 2021, 09:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

Hi all.

Have searched the forum using google, but not much about this tv show bar a comment here and their (sp) about it from years ago which to be fair seem pretty positive.

Its a cheeky 15 hours long or a massive movie, depending on your take.

Has anyone seen it at all and would they recommend?

Thanks in advance.

sevendaughters

Hello, I've just shut my computer down for the evening so not going to write loads. I would say it is worth seeing but not as mind-blowing as you'd hope from Fassbinder does Doblin.

Shit Good Nose

I've not seen it since it was shown on BBC2 or 4 (can't remember which) years ago, and have never read the book, but I remember it being VERY VERY good, and I'm not much of a Fassbinder fan. 

Don't make the mistake a lot of people make, though, and assume it's another Heimat - it really isn't.  Aside from the similar epic running time and "cinematic TV" feel, they're completely different beasts.

sevendaughters

I think I suffered because I expected a Heimat. Probably should watch it again actually.

peanutbutter

I saw this a few years ago in a cinema across two days. Honestly felt far more like a standard TV series than I expected, it was good but it's fairly well divided and I don't think it's very cinematic at all, think there's a bit of a legacy with some things like this from critics who were snobby about TV feeling a need to ascribe some level of cinematicism ("this isn't a tv series, it's a 15 hour long film!") to things where it works perfectly fine in the segmented format.

Relatively speaking Heimat seems extremely intimidating in comparison.

mothman

This has reminded me... was there a more recent TV series set in Berlin between the wars? I seem to recall a trailer for something, it was definitely from the last fifteen years max.

chveik

the novel is really good and since i'm not a fassbinder fan at all i'd rather reread it. but go for it critics seem to like it a lot

dissolute ocelot

I only watched the first couple of episodes. It just felt really vile, utterly horrible protagonist, without any of the compensating features, the weirdness or irony or strange theorising of the book. Maybe the series gets better but it felt a real slog compared to most of Fassbinder's films. The novel is grim but it's also very weird and unique.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 22, 2021, 11:38:56 PM
I think I suffered because I expected a Heimat. Probably should watch it again actually.

So its not Heimat-a-like?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: mothman on July 23, 2021, 12:49:19 AM
This has reminded me... was there a more recent TV series set in Berlin between the wars? I seem to recall a trailer for something, it was definitely from the last fifteen years max.

Babylon Berlin

mothman

Could be... I thought it was a bit further back than 2017. But I admit my memory is sketchy! So, probably it's that. Ta!