Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Gout

Started by king_tubby, July 23, 2021, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Got the gout, lads. Ow ow fucking ow. Seems at 46 you can't spend a month lying on the sofa watching the football, drinking heavily and eating shit without some repercussions.

Got it in one foot and took the edge off with extra strength neurofen and it was getting better and then BAM! motherfucker turned up in the other foot. So now I've got pills from the doctor which are great, but obviously the main thing is the dreaded lifestyle changes to stop it happening again.

So that means reducing seafood, cured meats, strong cheese which is fine but not ideal as I love all those things. Drastically cutting back on the booze which worried me, as I've been drinking far too heavily over lockdown and thought this would be a struggle but seems to be ok so far. Lots of water - yeah, this is fine. Exercise, ok, when I can walk without wincing I can get back on this.

Anyone else got the GOUT? How did you cope? Did you manage to avoid sawing your toe off?

touchingcloth

Gout Pony will be here to answer your questions shortly.

BlodwynPig

Maybe i have the gout and not oedema

Paul Calf

Gout is the fucking pits. I cleaned up my diet and walked a lot and it went away, but I've fallen back into bad habits during COVID FUCKDOWN so it could well come back again.

Have you been given Allopurinol? Be careful with it and don't exceed the dose, as it can really knacker your kidneys.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Would have gone with 'Gout and proud' as thread title cheers

Sorry about the Gout

king_tubby

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 23, 2021, 09:10:22 AM
Gout is the fucking pits. I cleaned up my diet and walked a lot and it went away, but I've fallen back into bad habits during COVID FUCKDOWN so it could well come back again.

Have you been given Allopurinol? Be careful with it and don't exceed the dose, as it can really knacker your kidneys.

No, just the naproxen for now, and lansoprazole to stop it radging me guts. Hope it doesn't return for you, Paul.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 23, 2021, 09:14:59 AM
Would have gone with 'Gout and proud' as thread title cheers

Sorry about the Gout

I'm not proud though. I'm ashamed.

Janie Jones

My friend has gout, he's Henry the Eighth overweight and under-active and drinks about 40 units of alcohol a week, mainly high abv craft beer. He maintains that cherry juice helps, seems like a fucktonne of unhelpful empty calories to me but a cursory google indicates some sufferers swear by it.

Buelligan

Reporting in with the same.  Friend, similar body and habits (top hole vino), cherries, cherry juice.  He said the meds gave him worse symptoms than the gout, poor love.  Good luck with the bad legs, tubs.  :(

king_tubby

Quote from: Janie Jones on July 23, 2021, 09:20:59 AM
overweight and under-active and drinks about 40 units of alcohol a week, mainly high abv craft beer. He maintains that cherry juice helps

I'm not massively overweight but apart from that, checks out!

Quote from: Buelligan on July 23, 2021, 09:24:27 AM
Reporting in with the same.  Friend, similar body and habits (top hole vino), cherries, cherry juice.  He said the meds gave him worse symptoms than the gout, poor love.  Good luck with the bad legs, tubs.  :(

Cheers! Getting some cherry juice RIGHT NOW.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 23, 2021, 09:14:59 AM
Would have gone with 'Gout and proud' as thread title

Gout and About

Coming Gout of the Closet

Big Gout Strikes Again

Captain Z

It was giving up the roast swan that was most difficult for me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteBig Gout

As the corporate tyrants in the allopurinol racket are referred to.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 23, 2021, 09:42:39 AM
Gout and About

Coming Gout of the Closet

Big Gout Strikes Again

Gout King Winces?

bigfatheart

I had the gout about four years ago. Funnily enough it came at the point when I was probably the slimmest and healthiest I'd been in my adult life. The doctor who saw me first gave me a pamphlet and a website address which gave some contradictory advice - one said mushrooms were good for it, the other said they were bad - so when I got a follow-up call to confirm that, yeah, you've got the gout you fat fucker, I asked that doctor if they knew which was right. Got told I shouldn't be using the internet to diagnose myself, that I was wasting their time by asking stupid questions and that I wasn't taking it seriously, so out of spite/embarrassment I took the initial course of medication and then decided that any further problems I'd just tough out.

As it happens, four years on and, despite putting a fair amount of weight back on and letting most of the lifestyle changes I did make slip, I've not had any more problems, touch wood. So that'd be my advice, just ignore it and hope it goes away.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: king_tubby on July 23, 2021, 09:00:02 AM
Anyone else got the GOUT? How did you cope? Did you manage to avoid sawing your toe off?

No wonder there aren't more 86-year-old colonels posing on CaB.

I don't have the GOUT, although I'm pretty overweight with a terrible diet (the idea of giving up seafood, cured meats and strong cheese made me wince) however I don't drink alcohol, and never have. Is it likely that's what's saving me from it?

TrenterPercenter

The world is full of Gouty men

checkoutgirl

Gout, gout, let it all out
So come on

BlodwynPig

Confirmed: not gout

monkfromhavana

I don't really know what gout is. Is it just a bit of pain in your legs cos you've eaten too many chips?

Butchers Blind

Remember seeing The Gout about 2001 supporting BSP. 

madhair60

"i am gout" - gout

jobotic

Help a brother's gout

beanheadmcginty

Used to work with a bloke who would take off months at a time sick leave with The Gout. He said it was caused by all the speed he took when he was in a band in his youth. I haven't checked if that's medically accurate but it sounds reasonable seeing as crystals are involved.

jobotic

jobotic

I too have a friend who suffers with gout and he lives a life of fine dining and drinking enormous amounts of craft ales.

Me - shit dining and lager - no gout.

darby o chill

Mrs. Goutfire
The Gout-here Brothers

kalowski

steve98

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 23, 2021, 11:17:15 AM
I don't really know what gout is.

Ah wanna know what gout is...

EOLAN

Welcome aboard. Had some gout come up on me in my mid 30s. The greatest relief I could get in the few days it would flare up would be to continually stamp on my inflicted foot.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: steve98 on July 23, 2021, 12:48:45 PM
Ah wanna know what gout is...

I kinda do, but I also don't want to Google it and be presented with some horrific image that will make me rethink eating a kebab this evening.