Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Gout

Started by king_tubby, July 23, 2021, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I thought I might be getting gout once because I was drinking quite a bit but it went away so I think I might've just fucked both my ankles jumping around to ska while off my nut on Red Stripe.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 23, 2021, 02:12:01 PM
jumping around to ska while off my nut on Red Stripe.

This is a classic symptom of gout though.

Glebe

king_tubby

Quote from: Glebe on July 23, 2021, 06:57:28 PM
Get well soon KT.

Thanks Glebe! Seems to be all calming down a bit now.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Mine seems to be under control at the moment, but need to check my blood values again.

shiftwork2

My friend reported he had Henry the 8th's gout and, despite being aware that it is extraordinarily painful, I laughed hard and I laughed long.  But then I reflected on my alcohol and meat consumption and wondered how on earth I hadn't been similarly afflicted.  I came to the conclusion that I am just better than he is.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

flotemysost

One of my friends got misdiagnosed with gout recently (it was actually COVID toe). However while trying to recover they did discover a delicious 0.5% German beer local to their region, so swings and roundagouts.

mothman

I first got gout when I was 30. Spent a weekend in Bristol (didn't live here then) doing an office move for my employer, MrsMoth came too. Was a hot weekend and I got dehydrated. Plus we went to the in-laws on the Saturday night where large amounts of red wine and barbecued red meats were consumed. The next day, things went south rapidly, and ever since I've had to be careful. Even then, every couple of years I'll have a flare-up.

So, I am very wary with my red meat consumption especially if there's wine involved too. My 2018 attack was a steak on a hot day - I thought I was being clever having beer not wine. NOPE. That was a bad one, off for two weeks. 2020 was steak again, with red wine - celebrating my 50th birthday and utterly fucking up the extended celebrations (thank COVID we didn't go to New York the weekend after as originally planned, it'd have been a total bust).

To counteract it, I take Naproxen 500mg. Have a recurring prescription. It's about the top whack when it comes to anti-inflammatories. There's a pill I could go on full-time to forestall gout full stop but so far I've resisted, I don't think a week or two every few years justifies it - yet.

We're having steak tonight, probably with a nice Malbec; I'm going to start pre-hydrating now, and pop a Naproxen straight after the meal. I'm immune to the worst side effects but getting it out if my system a few days down the line is usually unpleasant.

Dex Sawash

What 8f you drank cherry wine

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 24, 2021, 05:06:31 PM
What if you drank cherry wine

Well he could drink and party all night then.

I starting having occasional bouts of agonising pain in my feet and knees in my mid-thirties. Somehow it was never diagnosed as gout/inflammatory arthritis until nearly twenty years later when I had an episode lasting weeks that ended up with me in hospital. My post from two years ago:

The last flare-up lasted for a month, was agonisingly painful and essentially left me bed-ridden. No medication would take the edge off the pain so I had to go to A&E. Driving was out of the question and I couldn't even walk to get into a taxi so paramedics had to carry me down the stairs and cart me off in an ambulance. I'd never been in hospital before but was kept in for two nights, had scans, blood tests, etc. Finally prescribed Allopurinol and, apart from a couple of minor blips early on, I've never had a problem in the four years since so it's been a god-send to me.

It's been over six years since now so fingers crossed!

mothman

Apparently James Murphy out of LCD Soundsystem has gout, he avoids one obvious cause of flare-ups by drinking organic red wine. Anyone tried this?

Hat FM

pretty sure i had my first flare up of gout around 9 months ago. insane pain where i could barely walk on the saturday. decided to leave it until Monday to call the GP who seemed quite insulted that i had deciphered it was probably gout and told me in as many words to piss off and take paracetamol if the pain got worse. did not clap for the nhs that week.