Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Westminster Reimagined - a podcast with Armando Iannucci

Started by Thomas, July 23, 2021, 10:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

QuoteComing soon, talking politics, exchanging ideas and opinions, in hopefully a civilised way or we're all doomed.

let's all just calm down and get anna soubry's opinion in a civilised way

Pre-judging and joking aside, this middle class podcast of chats and chortles could really save the day. If you make yourself a meal, put this podcast on, and close your eyes, you'll accurately experience the qualia of one of Eddie Marsan's dinner parties.

king_tubby

Who's going to hate listen to this so I don't have to? The only thing that makes me happy about this is Ian Dunt fuming he's not been invited on.

Unless he has in a subsequent one, in which case, bloody hell.

PlanktonSideburns

idunnosomename

Quote from: king_tubby on July 23, 2021, 11:44:11 AM
Who's going to hate listen to this so I don't have to? The only thing that makes me happy about this is Ian Dunt fuming he's not been invited on.

Unless he has in a subsequent one, in which case, bloody hell.
I don't think you can trust him to be civilised enough

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1418510790617927683

"I cunting love a fucking bastard Olympic Opening Ceremony, you motherfucking shitarses."

Fambo Number Mive

Captain Z

But it was not the hope that killed him, for he died in an instant when he saw the podcast had the voice of Anna Soubry.

THE VOICE OF ANNA SOUBRY

THE VOICE OF ANNA SOOOOUBRY

king_tubby

BritishHobo

It's so disappointing. Whenever I watch The Thick of It, I think it's so savage about the no-clean-hands political and media climate where appalling stuff gets done and progressive change never happens because we're all beholden to the narrative-control of the people up top, and the image of competency matters more than political substance. In The Loop has always been my favourite because it makes me feel fucking sick at the end - off-screen you know that countless innocent people in the Middle East are going to die, have their families and homes torn apart, but it's all filtered through these contemptuous cunts. And Malcolm Tucker's speech at the end, about using the media to hound Simon to suicide if he resigns on principle, that is a moment of total fucking evil. Now it feels like he's buying into exactly the kind of "civility politics" that the show pegged as stopping politicians from actually enacting radical change.

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 23, 2021, 12:49:11 PM
It's so disappointing. Whenever I watch The Thick of It, I think it's so savage about the no-clean-hands political and media climate where appalling stuff gets done and progressive change never happens because we're all beholden to the narrative-control of the people up top, and the image of competency matters more than political substance. In The Loop has always been my favourite because it makes me feel fucking sick at the end - off-screen you know that countless innocent people in the Middle East are going to die, have their families and homes torn apart, but it's all filtered through these contemptuous cunts. And Malcolm Tucker's speech at the end, about using the media to hound Simon to suicide if he resigns on principle, that is a moment of total fucking evil. Now it feels like he's buying into exactly the kind of "civility politics" that the show pegged as stopping politicians from actually enacting radical change.

Nicely put

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Old Nehamkin

It is awful and depressing how much this man's brain has melted over the last five years.

And that space thing looked shit.

Old Nehamkin

Maybe he can get Alastair Campbell on and they can commiserate the injustice of his expulsion from the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn. Seem to remember Iannucci clutching his pearls about that at the time. Myopic fucking clown.

imitationleather

Not being funny but I'd rather listen to a doctor giving me a terminal cancer diagnosis.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 23, 2021, 01:52:13 PM
Maybe he can get Alastair Campbell on and they can commiserate the injustice of his expulsion from the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn. Seem to remember Iannucci clutching his pearls about that at the time. Myopic fucking clown.

Didn't Alastair Campbell once accuse him of being an establishment stooge? His accepting honours and all.

idunnosomename

Gotta admit this was a blinder of a boot into an open goal

dissolute ocelot

Looks like an exact melding of Have I Got News For You and The Last Leg, sure to be great.

Pink Gregory

Minute nitpick, but very telling that 'Westminster Reimagined' would imply that Our Mando strongly believes in the idea of Westminster and the function of British politics as it stands, just that there are bad actors in play.

Imagine Westminster being the limit of your political imagination.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 23, 2021, 03:31:40 PM
Imagine Westminster being the limit of your political imagination.

Imagine writing the Thick of It and concluding that Westminster is just fine. Cognitive dissonance so extreme I'm amazed he's able to put his trousers on.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 23, 2021, 03:17:59 PM
Gotta admit this was a blinder of a boot into an open goal

CUT TO:

What a difference a few years (and/or several million HBO bucks) can make...

sevendaughters

idunnosomename

amazing how popular Alastair Campbell is with sensible liberals, considering

his twitter handle is campbellclaret
his display name has always been ALASTAIR CAMPBELL all in caps for some reason
his profile pic is his own fucking book of course
he started an illegal war based on fabricated intelligence that caused tens of thousands of violent deaths and many long term effects such as the rise of Islamic State to the use of uranium based weapons that still cause cancers and birth defects to this day
is a big shouty bully

oh but People's Vote seemed very sensible. please come on my podcast, you horrible cunt

mr. logic

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 23, 2021, 03:58:57 PM
amazing how popular Alastair Campbell is with sensible liberals, considering

his twitter handle is campbellclaret
his display name has always been ALASTAIR CAMPBELL all in caps for some reason
his profile pic is his own fucking book of course
he started an illegal war based on fabricated intelligence that caused tens of thousands of violent deaths and many long term effects such as the rise of Islamic State to the use of uranium based weapons that still cause cancers and birth defects to this day
is a big shouty bully

oh but People's Vote seemed very sensible. please come on my podcast, you horrible cunt

I quite enjoyed Josh Widdecombe's nineties football podcast until they inexplicably had that twat on there. A war criminal but tell us what Burnley fans thought of Blackburn winning the league in 95.

imitationleather

He's called campbellclaret because he supports Burnley, isn't he?

Pink Gregory

Probably through that bunch all being matey with Matt Forde

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on July 23, 2021, 01:48:07 PM
It was total fucking shit

I enjoyed it, I thought the total stupidity of almost everyone on the ship was a good reflection of the state of the media and political establishment in the UK. Made me laugh a lot at how idiotic many of the characters were.

Josef K

Quote from: imitationleather on July 23, 2021, 04:44:00 PM
He's called campbellclaret because he supports Burnley, isn't he?

No it's because he loves blood, preferably from the shrapnel wounds of Iraqi children

Surely there is no appetite for this kind of shit these days. I occasionally hate listen Ian Dunt's re-branded Remaniacs podcast and marvel at how completely out of touch these people are, laughing at their own jokes. They genuinely think it's 1997 and the nation is begging for their sensible politics.

After all that's happened.

BritishHobo

Ian Dunt's another one who baffles me. His tweet-threads during parliamentary sessions can be absolutely excoriating and powerfully contemptuous about the fundamental dishonesty and corruption on show - and then he'll turn around and push that idea that up until 2012 we were a kind and sensible and tolerant nation and politics was good and decent and everything was sunny for everyone.

Thursday