Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:42:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Chollis

WhoMe

Me too. Not against this lot though, can barely see it.
Japan three games on the bounce!

gilbertharding

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 26, 2021, 01:36:54 PM
Just looking at the future Olympic host cities. Los Angeles 2028 sounds proper dystopian 80s sci-fi movie. Given how bad their homeless problem is currently and the rich/poor divide widening, might actually resemble that by then too.

I think they've basically said they're building almost nothing new for the games and will just host it at existing venues, which is really cool and will cut down on stuff like people losing their homes and so on. Which is nice I guess.

Really enjoyed the women's rugby 7s last time. Never really cared much for rugby, but a less physical version over a shorter period of game time, with the whole tournament done in three days was right up my alley. It kicks off on Thursday.

Thursday

Bit embarrassing for women that a bunch of children won the skateboarding. Do better.

This isn't helping it look like a legitimate sport.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 26, 2021, 02:50:46 PM
I fucking hate Tom Daley.

There. I said it.

I too hate Tom Daley. I hate his face, and his shoes.

mikeyg27

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 26, 2021, 01:36:54 PM
Just looking at the future Olympic host cities. Los Angeles 2028 sounds proper dystopian 80s sci-fi movie.

Why even look at future games? Tokyo 2020 was literally predicted by an 80s dystopian sci-fi movie. There's the dead body of a psychic child cut up into pieces and kept in frozen specimen jars under the stadium right now.

Jasha

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 26, 2021, 08:27:04 AM
BMX, land it (a gold, for Tom Pidcock)

Super Monday here lads

Felt sorry for the lad who fell off and had to push his bike up the hill

Jasha

Would have thought someone would have a word with the Norwegian triathlete about wearing black pants under a white outfit

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2021, 07:05:23 PM
Apparently barely any live events are on the BBC now as they've lost the rights. You need to watch Eurosport instead.

Ah, I'd not watched enough to realise that's what was happening.  After tonights Only Connect I turned over to watch some of the coverage but it was like a blipvert and it pissed me off so much I changed back to University Challenge and even got a few answers right!

Kankurette

Simone Biles has amazing thighs. Like a Street Fighter character.

(Sorry for being a perv.)

buttgammon

Jonathan Liew has written a column about the pointlessness of men's football in the Olympics. It's certainly a weird competition, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a full match of Olympic football, despite it being my favourite sport. When you consider the fixture congestion and fatigue that has mounted up over the last season, it seems particularly absurd this time.

Put it this way: I considered posting this in the football thread and decided against it.

Chedney Honks

Good to see old Richarlison knackering himself out for a big money move. Don't blame the Skeletor looking cunt.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Chedney Honks

Just realised I was thinking of Rivaldo. Richi looks quite handsome alongside 'Jonjo' (sic).

Norton Canes

Another pool gold to go along with the others and the cycling. Are we just good at sports that require a lot of hair removal?

imitationleather

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 27, 2021, 10:49:54 AM
Are we just good at sports that require a lot of hair removal?

When forum posting becomes an event at the Olympics we've got a gold medal team all ready and waiting here...

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: mikeyg27 on July 26, 2021, 05:48:21 PM
Why even look at future games? Tokyo 2020 was literally predicted by an 80s dystopian sci-fi movie. There's the dead body of a psychic child cut up into pieces and kept in frozen specimen jars under the stadium right now.

One of my faves!

I enjoyed the women's triathlon, mostly for the Tokyo scenery. Still find it mental that they've got to swim for ages, then cycle for ages in their swimming costume, then run for ages. Incredible fitness levels. Nice to see a 39 year old finish in the top 6.

Kankurette

At least we have a women's football team but of course, as men like to remind me, nobody cares about women's football.

Poobum

Whenever the Russian Olympic Committee team gets mentioned it sounds like they've drafted in all the bureaucrats to replace the banned athletes, which really they should have done. Olga Yuchenka from payroll having a go at the vault, be brilliant.

buttgammon

Now we're in trouble: RTÉ is showing gymnastics that I've already seen on the BBC, but the Beeb have moved on to horsey bollocks. Dodgy streams it is!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Are USA 7s a good side then? They were much better than GBR for the first half and we only got back into it through an extra man sin bin, then grimly defending near the end.

EOLAN

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 27, 2021, 02:22:21 PM
Are USA 7s a good side then? They were much better than GBR for the first half and we only got back into it through an extra man sin bin, then grimly defending near the end.

Would have expected GBR to win a bit easier - but USA would be a decent 7s side. A bit higher up than their 15s but not quite at the top level.

Ted-Maul

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 27, 2021, 11:16:18 AM
I enjoyed the women's triathlon, mostly for the Tokyo scenery.

I watched that. Just seeing the waves and awful weather condition before the start of the race and discovering they were caused by a typhoon got the athletes by respect. Then they kept making them ride bikes over a soggy carpet... fair fucks to everyone for just staying the course on this one....

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 27, 2021, 11:16:18 AM
Nice to see a 39 year old finish in the top 6.

Not only that, she spent the whole bike section at the front of her group, pushing on her own, trying to catch the leaders while the lazy fucks around her just watched (all the riders in the lead group said afterwards how great it was to be able to cooperate and take turns leading), then she ended up running down some of the lead group on foot anyway! I think they said she'd had 4 kids aswell. Nothing like watching the Olympics to make you feel like a useless worm.

Cuellar

I've actually paid the £5 for Discovery+ like a pathetic simp so I can watch all the sports not just the crumbs they chucked to the BBC

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on July 27, 2021, 03:10:31 PM
I've actually paid the £5 for Discovery+ like a pathetic simp so I can watch all the sports not just the crumbs they chucked to the BBC

ENABLER

Chuck him off CaB for the duration

George Oscar Bluth II

Discovery are also behind GB News, hope you're happy that you're ENABLING FASCISM

imitationleather

It's a bit annoying (but totally expected) that the reaction on social media to the lack of coverage seems to be aimed at the BBC themselves for not being able to afford it, rather than the government for cutting their funding to the bone.

I hope these guys will be happy when the World Cup is on Sky Sports.