Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 01, 2021, 06:19:34 PM
Yeah, basically headbutted our bloke for the whole thing then had a hissyfit when he got called out.

Not as keen on one of our other boxers who went through after he ended his post match interview pointing at the camera and saying "anything's possible if you find God"

The French coverage didn't show the worst clips but they were outraged by the decision and are reporting that the match officials have admitted it was a mistake after a review but can't now be rectified that the bout has finished. Just shows there are two sides I guess and the french were always going to take the other. I wonder how neutral countries are reporting it?

As for God and sport, more and more of this going on now, in line with the general trend of overt Christianity  in public and at work. It's something that really disturbs me.

EOLAN

Quote from: mothman on August 01, 2021, 05:37:48 PM
One of our female boxers lost to a rather questionable decision. Some possibly dodgy judging in the boxing it seems...

Which fight. Or is it just the usual biased commentary continually calling things for their guy or girl. Very guilty of it in Ireland too.

kalowski

Really must remember if either of my kids make the Olympics to film myself watching them.

Poobum

Reckon the hockey should have everyone padded up, remove the goalies, and thwack the ball about really hard. If they made these changes to a long historied sport, my lack of interest would be upgraded to casual.

Thursday

I have a vivid memory of playing hockey on a very cold day in P.E once and just feeling so anxious that that I was going to get wacked or scraped with something. Doesn't seem especially safe.

buttgammon

I shinned a goal in PE and got away with it, despite the protests of the other team. It was bloody painful, I deserved it!

mikeyg27

Quote from: Thursday on August 02, 2021, 08:59:51 AM
I have a vivid memory of playing hockey on a very cold day in P.E once and just feeling so anxious that that I was going to get wacked or scraped with something. Doesn't seem especially safe.

I got smacked just on the brow with a hockey stick in P.E. and spent the rest of the afternoon in the nurse's office trying to stop the bleeding. About half an hour later another kid from the same lesson walked in with a newly-chipped tooth. You probably should have to pass a test and get a licence before being allowed to play hockey.

Chriddof

"Anything's possible if you find God. God Himself helped me beat the shit out of someone until they reached the point of unconsciousness, in a sport based around beating the shit out of people, thus helping me advance through this cursed tournament filled with disease and political unrest and radioactive contamination. This is what God wants."

Poobum

The hell was Shericka Jackson doing? Incredibly stupid.

Thursday

GB vs Spain in penalties, but it's women's hockey so who knows.

bgmnts

Are Thompson Hera and Fraser Pryce both in the 200m final? That'll be interesting.

gilbertharding

Cycling's started!

Lots of intrigue. GB's new Lotus Hope bikes - will they prove controversial? Remember all the instant experts in 1992 reckoning that anyone could have won if they'd had a Lotus 108. I can't wait for Chris Hoy to start explaining the benefits or otherwise of 10mm pitch chains to Clare Balding. Or why all the Danish team with big strips of plaster on their shins.

That Australian's 3d printed handlebars snapping was pretty funny.

Jasha

The velodrome cycling really is the formula 1[nb]every boring aspect[/nb] of peddling with all it's wind tunnels and carbon fibre and teardrop drag helmets and titanium. Totally lacking any self awareness of taking itself just that little bit too seriously.

Anyway the volleyball lasses are back, who'd have thought there was a Kenyan volleyball team (and seeing as they've played 5 lost 5 you could argue they haven't). Lanky Serb girl takes a couple of steps little jump then slaps the ball like it's a fucking missile

Kankurette

What is going on with the Jamaican runners? Apparently Jackson and Fraser-Pryce had a fallout with Thompson-Herah over a coach?

Just watched Emily Campbell winning silver in the weightlifting and screaming her head off. Awww.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Jasha on August 02, 2021, 04:32:42 PM
The velodrome cycling really is the formula 1[nb]every boring aspect[/nb] of peddling with all it's wind tunnels and carbon fibre and teardrop drag helmets and titanium. Totally lacking any self awareness of taking itself just that little bit too seriously.

Only the events which rely on aero, like the pursuits. Road TT is a bit like that too. It's a matter of taste, I guess: I quite like a bit of the nerdy aspect.

Most of the other events are either loopily brilliant (like the Keirin and the Madison) or just boneheadedly about power.

Thursday

I do love the mad look of the velodrome, even though I'm at a loss to understand some of the science and technical aspects of it.

I'm sure I remember one of the team talking slightly disparagingly about the elimination race, even though it's the best one to watch.

Norton Canes

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

His world record over hurdles is faster than the winning time of the 400m flat 2021 British Championships.

Fair play to the guy Warholm annihilated in the first 200m for running his own race and coming back strong for the bronze.

Spode

Some danish lad has just made a complete Nobhead of himself in the cycling.

Absolutely pissing what was effectively a semi final, before crashing right into a trailing British fella and screaming his head off at him. Has subsequently shouted at a few more inanimate objects as well.

gilbertharding

Yeah, that was pretty funny - the commentator apologising for the swearing, and me thinking "I didn't know I could speak Danish"

The wheels seem to have come off the GB machine a little bit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

GB now 5 medals away from the first threshold of 45 medals, with the estimate target between 45-70.

Factoring in variances I think we should make 60 looking at the remaining events, but so far the track and field has been a clusterfuck

jobotic

Haven't seen any cycling yet. Next time I'm taking time off work and kids can go elsewhere.

jaydee81

I bet Jason Kenny would swap all his Olympic medals to not be thinning on top

lankyguy95

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 03, 2021, 07:14:23 AM
Fair play to the guy Warholm annihilated in the first 200m for running his own race and coming back strong for the bronze.
And that was the fourth fastest time in history. Staggering race.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jaydee81 on August 03, 2021, 11:42:12 AM

I think he'll manage.

Spode

Quote from: jaydee81 on August 03, 2021, 11:42:12 AM

more aerodynamic. In cycling, bald idiots are actually revered like normal haired lads.

gilbertharding

There's actually some research going on into this sort of thing. Leg hairs might actually help with boundary layer separation or something.

Now, if Kenny's head was naturally shaped like a POC Tempor...