Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

Quote from: jobotic on August 04, 2021, 10:45:03 PM
This handball game between Norway and Hungary has been great and Orban's team are about to lose (if this is live).

With it being overnight/early morning it wouldn't have been too hard to have an L for live R for replay in the corner. Took me 3 days to realise Eurosport just have the same days volleyball[nb]Boskovic could take up boxing with that left hand[/nb] on a loop[nb] Italian coach is definitely off his tits on something[/nb]

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on August 05, 2021, 12:20:16 AM
Are they doing it in funny costumes like the Great North Run?

Some debate around whether the bloke in the old fashioned deep sea diving outfit walking it on the ocean bed is cheating or not. There should be a verdict by the time he finishes in two weeks.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Chedney Honks on Yesterday at 10:03:00 PM
I find all the grown man interest in the skateboarding really fucking dodgy. Like, helloooooo? You might as well play cricket for England.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 04, 2021, 11:35:40 PM
what a load of victorian puritanical cobblers

Victorian skateboards? What's that all about????

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Skateboarder finds out he's just won gold
Immediate reaction: pull out phone and start frantically typing out a tweet or Instagram post or something, while people swarm around and try to congratulate you
Ignore everyone, concentrate on phone
Early grave for you, please

Chedney Honks

The Olympics has always been a standard bearer for progressive values and inclusivity so it's not surprising that marginalised groups are welcomed into the fold. You may well be banned from TikTok but they can't stop you from drawing the curtains and watching terrestrial television in the comfort of your own home.

Norton Canes

Biggest fail for me has been podiums where the silver and bronze steps are on the same level. Surprised that one got past the designers.

Ted-Maul

Quote from: Jasha on August 05, 2021, 12:28:18 AM
Boskovic could take up boxing with that left hand
I finally got to see her for the first time yesterday and basketball was my first thought... although every dunk would be like that scene with Jim Carrey in Cable Guy.

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 05, 2021, 10:50:18 AM
Italian coach is definitely off his tits on something

Was that the guy who looked ever so slightly like Jeremy Beadle? Interesting that he's decided to hang around in a sport where a big shoval-hand are an advantage.

Chollis

polevault is pretty weird isn't it. cool though. was wondering who the fuck decided to start jumping over things with bendy poles. from wikipedia:

Poles were used as a practical means of passing over natural obstacles in marshy places such as the province of Friesland in the Netherlands, along the North Sea, and the great level of the Fens in England across Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Lincolnshire and Norfolk. Artificial draining of these marshes created a network of open drains or canals intersecting each other. To cross these without getting soaked, while avoiding tedious roundabout journeys over bridges, a stack of jumping poles was kept at every house and used for vaulting over the canals

greenman

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Looking possibly on for a medal in the pole vault...

chveik

WhoMe

I like that they haven't stopped showing the huddles during timeouts in the basketball, despite catching a stray F bomb from a player or coach almost every time.

Captain Z

Quote from: jobotic on August 04, 2021, 10:50:17 PM
Marathon swimming sounds fun to watch. A real crowd pleaser.

Such a waste of resources though to build a 26-mile swimming channel that will probably never be used again.

kalowski

Yeh, it's better when they do 844 lengths of the Olympic pool.
Of course, I have to do 1688 of my local 25m pool.

Jasha

Quote from: kalowski on August 05, 2021, 03:08:38 PM
Yeh, it's better when they do 844 lengths of the Olympic pool.
Of course, I have to do 1688 of my local 25m pool.

Ark at Lord snooty pants showing off with his local pool

Jasha

Not convinced by this Olympic rock climbing on plastic rocks, at least do away with the safety harnesses. They do shoot up that wall like it's a Saturday night gameshow though

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Rock climbing at the Olympics. Mr Olympics must be turning in his grave.

Poobum

Thought Dan Walker was doing a shit joke when he said Fred Sirieix's daughter was an Olympic diver for GB.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 05, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
Rock climbing at the Olympics. Mr Olympics must be turning in his grave.

But how does Mount Olympus feel? Conflicted I reckon.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Bently Sheds on August 04, 2021, 08:23:55 PM
The Jamaican guy in the 110 metre hurdles had a distinctly The Day Today name: Hansel Parchment.

The commentary on the men's skateboarding was pure Partridge: "That was as loose as a rental bowling shoe", "He's put it into 17th gear".

Poobum

Grown to hate the skating. "He's done a blunt wodgy cunt wozzle, totally ripping it" as a fool reaches down and tilts the board at a slightly different angle from a "doom cuck mardy fish". Fucking bikers were doing flips!

chveik

Norton Canes

Quote from: Bently Sheds on August 04, 2021, 08:23:55 PM
The Jamaican guy in the 110 metre hurdles had a distinctly The Day Today name: Hansel Parchment

He's good on paper

Jasha

Could have done without knowing Clare Balding was off to practice her facials

RDRR

Quote from: Poobum on August 05, 2021, 08:28:52 PM
Grown to hate the skating. "He's done a blunt wodgy cunt wozzle, totally ripping it" as a fool reaches down and tilts the board at a slightly different angle from a "doom cuck mardy fish". Fucking bikers were doing flips!

does the deceptive size of the ramps make it look less impressive, or are there weird amateur/professional rules that bar entry to more impressive skateboarders (or, do the good ones not give a shit about the olympics)? because it did look a bit crap. the commentary is full-blown midlife crisis stuff. and i credit the description of one of the teenagers 'pumping like a beast'[nb]kicking his foot against the floor to make the skate-board go along[/nb] for my bout of nausea this afternoon

(checks notes, under 'big jump') "that 540 literally came with an in-flight meal!" "jeff bezos is green with jealousy!"

was thoroughly confused by the karate kata thing, too. had to look it up, still don't get it but at least i didn't imagine it

Chedney Honks

Is it worse than all paedophiles cheering on the skateboarding events?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He's right you know. Look! The dirty paeds have even brought video cameras with them.

imitationleather

He talks a good game but I've heard on his big desk he's got a timer counting down to Paris 2024 because they'll all be at least 16 years old.

El Unicornio, mang

4 hours of blokes walking in a ridiculous fashion, great telly.

Only being half sarcastic as I'm watching it, but mostly for the Tokyo scenery.