Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games - Sponsored by Covid-19

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, July 23, 2021, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 11, 2021, 03:43:59 PM
In the modern pentathlon the horses are randomly distributed to competitors. The German woman who was leading going into the event was assigned a flighty nag called Saint Boy who was Not Having It. It refused a few fences and ruined her chance of a medal, let alone gold. After the event the German trainer punched the horse in anger.

Here is Saint Boy, a hero:

Lovely stuff, my heart is warmed.

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 11, 2021, 03:43:59 PM
In the modern pentathlon the horses are randomly distributed to competitors. The German woman who was leading going into the event was assigned a flighty nag called Saint Boy who was Not Having It. It refused a few fences and ruined her chance of a medal, let alone gold. After the event the German trainer punched the horse in anger.

Here is Saint Boy, a hero:

wonderful

EOLAN

Thursday

Lol fucking loser cheated to get a Silver medal.

chveik

is this the one where they didn't look very happy to get silver? (might be confusing with the 4x400, can't be arsed to check)

EOLAN

Quote from: chveik on August 12, 2021, 11:03:23 PM
is this the one where they didn't look very happy to get silver? (might be confusing with the 4x400, can't be arsed to check)

Yes that is the one. The last runner was beating himself up over losing it on the line. Was guy who ran opening leg that's tested positive on his A sample.

Jasha

Bloke who looks like Giant Haystacks little brother wearing Maori face paint miming along whilst GB athletes put on a show of dad dancing just to fulfill their contractual obligations to the national lottery.

daf

Anyone watching the Paralympics? GB second in the medals table with 16 Golds already!

Enjoyed the wheelchair rugby earlier today - though it seemed to be based more on robot wars than rugby.

An tSaoi

This makes me sound like a terrible person, but when I watch the Paralympics, and I don't see any obvious limbs missing, I end up thinking "Well what's wrong with them then? They look fine to me!"

There was some running on earlier, and for the life of me I work out what the disability was. I had to look it up. Turn out it was the cerebral palsy category.

What a cunt.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: daf on August 29, 2021, 12:26:09 AM
Anyone watching the Paralympics? GB second in the medals table with 16 Golds already!

Yep been watching quite a bit of it - watched more of the Paralympics than the Olympics - it's great!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 01, 2021, 07:43:18 PM
Yep been watching quite a bit of it - watched more of the Paralympics than the Olympics - it's great!

I've been watching it.  Even on the first day of the Paralympics I'd watched more than the Olympics (on account of the BBC's coverage was shite.)  I had to go to bed 40 minutes into Sarah Storey's cycling event last night when the announcer said it was the end of the 2nd lap and it dawned on me there was 80 minutes more to go (because I knew there were 6 laps in total) and I'd been nodding off for the previous hour.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think the issues are that it is subject to even more disparity than the regular Olympic games and that is bad for the spectacle. Not only is there the economic disparity where you can clearly see that medals are being accrued as a result of investment and cultural attention in certain disciplines but in the Paralympics some of the categories of disability are of a nature where you can't possibly expect a fair contest and there isn't one. It's just a way of trying to make it work without having to have 10 different 100ms etc. At best there are often two athletes near to each others standards or two teams close to them, and others who are simply making up the numbers, even in the finals.

You can watch the games to cheer everyone on in a kind of uninvolved matronly 'well done everyone' way, and that's actually fine, not knocking that (honestly) but most people watch sport because of the nature of the contest and the standard of the contest.

Still worth it, but there are some glaring moments that you can tell no-one in broadcasting wants to confront.