Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:42:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

if you could add a subforum to CaB on any subject what would it be

Started by madhair60, July 23, 2021, 01:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on July 26, 2021, 03:23:09 PM
Apart from being taller than me (and I'm no short-arse) she was lovely in every way.  Sniffle.
i think what's being asked is was she the mother of a Roman emperor, who went to Jerusalem and found the True Cross?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2021, 09:03:30 PM
A bit of both, sometimes I click the thread to see what the discussion is about, sometimes just feel miserable because it's clear it's a horrible story.

I am aware that I'm enormously over sensitive these days though, I don't watch horror films any more as I find them too upsetting (bar silly gory nonsense) whereas it used to be my favourite genre, and most of the time when I go on the BBC News site I only click on daft stories as I can't cope with reading about shitty stuff. It might be a pandemic thing too, and I'm hoping once (if?) it's over I'll be less affected by such things.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you, and Blue Jam and others do feel better soon.

I'll have a think about it, but tailoring the community to the most sensitive members seems like a bad idea, I'm afraid :-(

I do get it though, the pandemic hit me hard, and I had to hide away from the news and even from here for months.

Tbh I've actually felt like there's not enough current affairs of late, and have been looking around for certain discussions and then figuring "oh, probably already been done in the Labour thread or wherever."

Blue Jam

Cheers Neil- and no worries, I'm not asking you to do anything because I appreciate that you can't. It's not your fault I'm a sensitive little flower who is craving normality and just really really likes pubs.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2021, 09:03:30 PM
A bit of both, sometimes I click the thread to see what the discussion is about, sometimes just feel miserable because it's clear it's a horrible story.

I am aware that I'm enormously over sensitive these days though, I don't watch horror films any more as I find them too upsetting (bar silly gory nonsense) whereas it used to be my favourite genre, and most of the time when I go on the BBC News site I only click on daft stories as I can't cope with reading about shitty stuff. It might be a pandemic thing too, and I'm hoping once (if?) it's over I'll be less affected by such things.

It definitely is a pandemic thing with me. If anything I've been getting a bit less sensitive with age- not uncaring or desensitized to the awfulness of life, I just don't dwell on news stories as much as I used to. The pandemic however has just brought us blanket bleakness, ramped it up and made it harder to avoid. Even if you don't watch TV you can't really avoid the sight of people wearing masks, empty supermarket shelves, pubs with plastic screens, all the pubs, restaurants and shops with boarded-up windows. It's like everything has a bit of a bleakness filter over it right now.

Meh, it'll pass. Getting my second jab a week from now. Invincibility in T-7 days. Gonna throw a kettle over a pub.

Ferris

A "news" sub could work to take those thread headlines away, I feel somewhat the same re: shopping list of doom. A lot of the time all you can do is say "yes, that's awful" so it would be tough for me to really add anything to those discussions (not that I'm the be all and end all of course).

finnquark

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 26, 2021, 07:55:58 PM
You left out kabaddi and sumo wrestling.

And Aussie Rules! Maybe I should just start a thread on it on Picture Box, but it doesn't really seem to fit, dunno, whatever.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: finnquark on July 26, 2021, 09:49:07 PM
And Aussie Rules! Maybe I should just start a thread on it on Picture Box, but it doesn't really seem to fit, dunno, whatever.

My dad is literally the only person I've ever known who liked Aussie rules.  But he's dead now, so alas you'll still be alone in your thread :-(

chveik

there wasn't even a thread about the tour de france (should've started one but it was a bit late) so i dunno if there'll be much interest for less covered sports

Old Thrashbarg

A separate sports board would probably encourage more specific threads for different aspects of football and cricket at least. Which would be useful, given how fast-moving the current megathreads threads can be. And with snooker, wrestling, boxing/MMA, rugby union/league, baseball, NFL, tennis, motorsport, darts and, in the past, cycling all having reasonably regular discussion when there's something discuss, a sports board is probably justified even without the more niche stuff being discussed.

Wouldn't be wanting it to be a child board though, the lower visibility definitely harms PC Gone Mad.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 26, 2021, 09:05:45 PM
Australia won Sail GP in Plymouth Sound last week, can they repeat in Aarhus in August?

Dunno but I'm sitting on the edge of my... transom? Halyard? Part of a boat anyway. (Any chance you could pick a better one that makes me sound funny? Cheers).

chveik

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 26, 2021, 09:17:37 PM
Sorry to hear that, I hope you, and Blue Jam and others do feel better soon.

I'll have a think about it, but tailoring the community to the most sensitive members seems like a bad idea, I'm afraid :-(

I do get it though, the pandemic hit me hard, and I had to hide away from the news and even from here for months.

Tbh I've actually felt like there's not enough current affairs of late, and have been looking around for certain discussions and then figuring "oh, probably already been done in the Labour thread or wherever."

Thank you good sir, and I completely understand your choice, and still get a huge amount of pleasure from CaB, the film and comedy forums especially.

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 26, 2021, 09:19:45 PM
Cheers Neil- and no worries, I'm not asking you to do anything because I appreciate that you can't. It's not your fault I'm a sensitive little flower who is craving normality and just really really likes pubs.

It definitely is a pandemic thing with me. If anything I've been getting a bit less sensitive with age- not uncaring or desensitized to the awfulness of life, I just don't dwell on news stories as much as I used to. The pandemic however has just brought us blanket bleakness, ramped it up and made it harder to avoid. Even if you don't watch TV you can't really avoid the sight of people wearing masks, empty supermarket shelves, pubs with plastic screens, all the pubs, restaurants and shops with boarded-up windows. It's like everything has a bit of a bleakness filter over it right now.

Meh, it'll pass. Getting my second jab a week from now. Invincibility in T-7 days. Gonna throw a kettle over a pub.

It's odd as I know I was becoming more sensitive with age, and was struggling with horror films before the pandemic, but it's definitely made it worse. Still, I do have an issue with pessimism and often am wrong about how things will turn out, so hopefully this madness will be over with soon and I won't be so affected by negative news stories - and I hope the same applies with you and post second jab you spend days if not weeks in pubs at a time! :)

madhair60

Buelligan

If it helps, I've never watched a horror film.  Never enjoyed them at all.  Actively dislike watching them.  I may have seen some Hitchcock - not all the way through - but that's about the limit of it.  I don't even understand why anyone would, though, of course, I have no problem with them doing it. 

madhair60

Blue Jam

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 27, 2021, 10:06:32 AM
It's odd as I know I was becoming more sensitive with age, and was struggling with horror films before the pandemic, but it's definitely made it worse. Still, I do have an issue with pessimism and often am wrong about how things will turn out, so hopefully this madness will be over with soon and I won't be so affected by negative news stories - and I hope the same applies with you and post second jab you spend days if not weeks in pubs at a time! :)

I've never been into horror films despite the fact that I love lots of nasty horror video games. Watched Things Heard And Seen recently because Racy Horn was in it and quite enjoyed that, but mostly they leave me cold. They don't really upset me though, and I think it's because fiction just doesn't upset me as much as real life. I guess a scary film based on a true story might upset me, and maybe that's why I've never cared for stuff about real-life serial killers.

The only film that has upset me lately is John Wick, had to turn that off and that was only because
Spoiler alert
the dog dies, and I am completely soppy for dogs
[close]
. Still went back and watched the rest though and managed to enjoy the ensuing genocidal rampage of revenge, mainly because of how entirely justified it was.

Anyway, second jab on Monday, regular at my local pub has a new dog and he's an adorable ball of fluff, things are looking up. I hope they are for you too SMBH, go and watch some nice feelgood films and look after yerself x

Barry Admin

This reminds me that I have actually been meaning to bring back the closest thing to a trigger warning that CaB has - does anyone have a copy of the "Del Boy falling through the bar" topic icon knocking about? I'll add that back so people can mark dodgy posts with it.

(For newer users, there was a big debate a few years ago about trigger warnings and such, and the compromise that was reached was as above.)

Blue Jam

An animated gif of Trigger alone would be better. Trigger wasn't warning Del about the open bar top there, he was oblivious.

Barry Admin

Del boy falling through the bar > Trigger making a face.

Blue Jam

Ah, fair enough. When I read a post I wish I hadn't I sometimes make a face too.

Barry Admin

Opened it up now in a new thread; I guess Del Boy was used as it was a big meme on here at the time, but happy to use a decent Trigger one also, if someone makes one :-)

The Dog

Can we have an audit subforum where we audit posts and threads for compliance?

canadagoose

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 27, 2021, 01:24:17 PM
This reminds me that I have actually been meaning to bring back the closest thing to a trigger warning that CaB has - does anyone have a copy of the "Del Boy falling through the bar" topic icon knocking about? I'll add that back so people can mark dodgy posts with it.

(For newer users, there was a big debate a few years ago about trigger warnings and such, and the compromise that was reached was as above.)

Archived from an old incarnation of CaB. Good old archive.is.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: The Dog on July 27, 2021, 02:33:19 PM
Can we have an audit subforum where we audit posts and threads for compliance?
I thought we should have a subforum for arguing which subforum threads should go in, but then how would any thread get in the Subforum Arbitration Subforum? It'd be arbitration meta subforums all the way down.

Mr_Simnock

A photography sticky thread in HS Art, I like having a gander at others photos and sometimes the current thread can be tricky to find