Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:33:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pop punk is great and there's NO SHAME in admitting it

Started by The Mollusk, July 23, 2021, 05:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I saw Panic at the Disco at Reading and was pleasantly surprised.

On the subject of NOFX, a Jewish friend introduced me to The Brews. It even has people singing Dayenu at the end!

Goldentony

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 24, 2021, 12:47:45 PM
I find most ska to be shite but I'd honestly take Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake over The Specials

are you fucking absolutely joking, can someone close this fucking joke thread for bastards

Goldentony

Should also add I saw New Found Glory in 2002, supported by The Starting Line and Finch. The Starting Line got a decent reaction but someone thread a wristband at them so the singer moaned about that for a bit. Finch were really funny and noisy but nobody wanted any of that since it was full of really aggro Weird Al type blokes waiting for New Found Glory

buttgammon

Quote from: Goldentony on August 02, 2021, 02:25:08 AM
Should also add I saw New Found Glory in 2002, supported by The Starting Line and Finch. The Starting Line got a decent reaction but someone thread a wristband at them so the singer moaned about that for a bit. Finch were really funny and noisy but nobody wanted any of that since it was full of really aggro Weird Al type blokes waiting for New Found Glory

Even though I'd have massively disagreed with this when I was younger, New Found Glory were the lesser of those three bands. Hit or Miss is a great pop song that I still enjoy, though.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Goldentony on August 02, 2021, 02:21:58 AM
are you fucking absolutely joking, can someone close this fucking joke thread for bastards

Would legit prefer to listen to "Gainesville Rock City" three times in a row than listen to one third of "Three Minute Hero", and that's the gods honest truth. STEW ON THAT.

BeardFaceMan

Just got round to listening to that The Ergs! album that was posted, wasn't expecting a song based on a Rik Mayall monologue from Bottom, lovely stuff.

The Mollusk

Glad you enjoyed it! I really think it holds up as one of the best pop punk albums. It has a decent amount of variety, chucking in hardcore beats and laidback ska punk vibes across a couple of tunes whilst maintaining a core sound. It's such good fun, I don't think there's a duff song on it.

They also have the perfect amount of self-aware/self-deprecating humour. Bands like NOFX will do entire songs on one funny theme ("Please Play This Song On The Radio" is a good example) which sort of outstay their welcome or don't hold enough novelty value whereas The Ergs! (and this is true of The Vandals too) know their comedic limits and play to their strengths far better.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 03, 2021, 09:17:56 AM
Glad you enjoyed it! I really think it holds up as one of the best pop punk albums. It has a decent amount of variety, chucking in hardcore beats and laidback ska punk vibes across a couple of tunes whilst maintaining a core sound. It's such good fun, I don't think there's a duff song on it.

They also have the perfect amount of self-aware/self-deprecating humour. Bands like NOFX will do entire songs on one funny theme ("Please Play This Song On The Radio" is a good example) which sort of outstay their welcome or don't hold enough novelty value whereas The Ergs! (and this is true of The Vandals too) know their comedic limits and play to their strengths far better.

That's the trouble with most comedy songs isn't it, it's one joke stretched out and repeated for 3 minutes. Very few bands can pull off comedy songs consistently, I'd say The Vandals are top of that small list.

Utter Shit

Love pop-punk. The poppier the better. New Found Glory, Less Than Jake, Hit The Lights, Blink 182, All Time Low, Captain Everything...yaaaasss.

sutin

Trying to imagine preferring Less Than fucking Jake to The Specials and punching myself repeatedly in the face.

BeardFaceMan

I hate to add to the bruising but I'm no LTJ fan but would far, far prefer to listen to them over The Specials any day of the week.

buttgammon

You've got to keep 'em separated (for social distancing).

Famous Mortimer

Shaky

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 04, 2021, 11:58:08 AM
I hate to add to the bruising but I'm no LTJ fan but would far, far prefer to listen to them over The Specials any day of the week.

Fuck me. I'm no Specials fanboy, but Jesus.

BeardFaceMan

I don't know any LTJ songs and i know one Specials song, and I'd still rather listen to LTJ. Just because I think ska as a whole is shit and there's very little stuff I like but the early British stuff I find particularly poor.

Shaky

Just had a listen to the latest Offspring album out of morbid curiosity, having not gone near their LPs in about 20 years. It's horrible, obviously, and the amount of autotune on Holland's vocals is ridiculous. I had to check it was still him!

Also didn't realise he and Noodles effectively forced the bass player out of the band, too. Pair of pricks.

thugler

Quote from: Shaky on August 06, 2021, 07:22:41 AM
It's horrible

Fucking yikes, not sure I was prepared for how bad that was. ghastly

The production style is unlistenable.

BeardFaceMan

His voice must be shot to fuck, that sounds awful, even for him.

Quote from: Shaky on August 06, 2021, 07:22:41 AM
Just had a listen to the latest Offspring album out of morbid curiosity, having not gone near their LPs in about 20 years. It's horrible, obviously, and the amount of autotune on Holland's vocals is ridiculous. I had to check it was still him!

Also didn't realise he and Noodles effectively forced the bass player out of the band, too. Pair of pricks.

Did they have to autotune it flat like he normally sings?

Think they forced the drummer (not the bass player) out because he couldn't/wouldn't have the vaccine. Maybe it has something to do with being unable to tour venues without being vaccinated?

Sean Ymphs

I think Shaky's referring to this:
QuoteIn August, Greg Kriesel filed a lawsuit against Holland and Noodles, following an alleged decision by the two in November 2018 to ban Kriesel from the band's activities, including studio recordings and live performances.[3] Kriesel and his lawyers also alleged that the two conspired to "seize the business, business opportunities, and assets" of Kriesel's stake in the band without compensation.[3][98] In 2019, touring rhythm guitarist, Todd Morse became a full-time member replacing Kriesel as the new bassist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring#Let_the_Bad_Times_Roll_and_split_with_Greg_K._and_Pete_Parada_(2017%E2%80%93present)

Which is shitty.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on August 06, 2021, 09:53:53 PM
I think Shaky's referring to this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring#Let_the_Bad_Times_Roll_and_split_with_Greg_K._and_Pete_Parada_(2017%E2%80%93present)

Which is shitty.
That's an interesting scenario because in the Offspring's case he presumably was okay with the back catalogue being sold as he'd still have the touring revenue. You get kicked out and all your previous rights have been sold off you're doubly fucked.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 06, 2021, 09:16:02 PM

Think they forced the drummer (not the bass player) out because he couldn't/wouldn't have the vaccine. Maybe it has something to do with being unable to tour venues without being vaccinated?
The drummer wasn't the original guy, just some dude they brought in in 2009. You'd have to imagine that kind of person is always considered expendable if they start being any kind of issue.

Shaky

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on August 06, 2021, 09:53:53 PM
I think Shaky's referring to this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring#Let_the_Bad_Times_Roll_and_split_with_Greg_K._and_Pete_Parada_(2017%E2%80%93present)

Which is shitty.

Yeah, that's the one. Dude had been in the band for nearly four decades.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 06, 2021, 09:16:02 PM

Heh, that would've been better - instead the vocals are unsettlingly in tune, creepily youthful and weirdly pitched or something. Along with that shitty treatment of other band members, I find all this sort of fascinating. Two twats pushing 60 trying to squeeze the life out of the brand, prancing around like it's still the 90's. They can't be far off miming through their gigs.

Just had a listen to Smash and it's still ace, thankfully.

thugler

Saw the two of them in that woodstock doc and they looked wretched.

BeardFaceMan

There's no way in hell I would've known it was them if they didn't have their names on the screen.

My favourite Offspring song is the one they wrote after listening to Times Like These by the Foo Fighters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrBet1Rv32k

The follow up is ... CHRIST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJZo1Hs8yk