Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pop punk is great and there's NO SHAME in admitting it

Started by The Mollusk, July 23, 2021, 05:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Dammit by Blink-182 is pretty hard to beat as far as that 90s pop punk stuff goes for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0g16_LQaQ
Think in general they were out and out the best from that era tbh, even their shittier singles are a notch above most at getting the pop side down.

Love Jeff Rosenstock but also find him absolutely exhausting

Had a lot of time for Fall Out Boy as a teen, always found MCR a bit much without a solid pop core to it whereas Fall Out Boy seemed like they were straining to be a boyband at times and quite fun when they weren't trying too hard
Grand Theft Autumn, Sugar We're Going Down, Dance Dance, Tnx 4 d mrs (or whatever it was); all bangers.

Edging towards ska punk I've a lot of time for Streetlight Manifesto still https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yeNzL7rTU

Brand new are def not pop punk right? The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows comes closest

Back in the Limewire days I really loved Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn by hellogoodbye to the point I was kind of in disbelief there wasn't a single moment in their album I liked. Iirc the album had a really bad version SSQT too.
15 years on Here (in Your Arms) isn't as bad as I remembered, it shittiness has aged in a way I like a bit more now, suspect I'd fucking adore this on mdma...

easytarget

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 24, 2021, 02:39:50 AM
Dammit by Blink-182 is pretty hard to beat as far as that 90s pop punk stuff goes for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0g16_LQaQ
Think in general they were out and out the best from that era tbh, even their shittier singles are a notch above most at getting the pop side down.

They have some brilliant songs, great guitar tone and a cracking drummer.

My absolute favorites in this genre are Dillinger Four : https://youtu.be/8hNK0DPKJe8

Chedney Honks

Then later on, on the drive home
I called her mom from a payphone
I said I was the cops and your husband's in jail
The state looks down on sodomy.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: madhair60 on July 23, 2021, 09:07:11 PM
i love pop punk and never post about it

That's nothing, I never post about it, and I'm not that keen on it to be honest.

The Mollusk

Gotta be honest here bands like MCR, Fall Out Boy and Brand New are basically (third wave?) emo. Weezer are way more of a power pop band also.

New Found Glory, on the other hand...!

lankyguy95

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 24, 2021, 08:50:01 AM
Gotta be honest here bands like MCR, Fall Out Boy and Brand New are basically (third wave?) emo.
I thought that with Jimmy Eat World.

Incidentally, Bleed American is twenty years old today.

Brundle-Fly

BeardFaceMan

I think Troublegum by Therapy? counts. And I could literally listen to Me First And The Gimme Gimmes all day. In fact, sometimes I do.

thugler

Surely the true genre of shame is the ubiquitous ska punk stuff of this era..

Waking Life

I got into Dookie as a teen (although not Insomniac as much), then with Napster taking off, discovered all sorts of other American bands of a similar ilk. Some good, some terrible. Alkaline Trio - as mentioned by a couple of folk - really did it best though (Goddamnit through to Good Mourning), which I think was largely helped by some off-kilter lyrics, at least for the genre. The Descendents lyrics also stayed fairly incel throughout their career (I'm The One in mid-90s could be the 'Friendzone' anthem), although some great songs throughout.

I stopped listening to a lot of it in my 20s, but enjoy certain albums now. Interesting on emo, as there was (is?) a lot of gatekeeping on the genre (http://www.fourfa.com/), particularly with the saturation of My Chemical Romance groups (some distance away from Zen Arcade). I really got into Jawbreaker and Sunny Day Real Estate from that ilk, as well as more on the hardcore spectrum.

It does all stem back to bands like Buzzcocks and others, but just filtered through Americana for two decades. Hardcore did have a big impact too, as most of the early American pop-punk bands evolved from hardcore origins. It's interesting that punk (as a style rather than movement) endured far longer in America than in the UK, but I suppose was probably a far larger demand to sustain it. Did post-punk ever take off there?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: thugler on July 24, 2021, 11:10:10 AM

Yeah I never could quite get ska, one of the reasons I don't like Rancid, too much skankin' going on.

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 24, 2021, 09:00:33 AM
Do The Dickies count?

I would say so - they're Californian & they performed lots of punk cover versions of non- punk songs, you can't get much more pop punk than that.

(I do love The Dickies - their penchant for silliness does mean they're unfairly overlooked sometimes - first 2 LPs & their early run of singles are unstoppable)

Were they the first band to really popularise coloured vinyl?

Jockice

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 24, 2021, 09:09:14 AM
I think Troublegum by Therapy? counts. And I could literally listen to Me First And The Gimme Gimmes all day. In fact, sometimes I do.

In that case, Caught By The Fuzz by Supergrass does too. I've just listened to it. Three times.

The Mollusk

Quote from: thugler on July 24, 2021, 11:10:10 AM

I find most ska to be shite but I'd honestly take Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake over The Specials and The Skatalites any day. The old stuff does nowt for me but there's an extremely goofball sense of fun in the more modern stuff that I can't deny really enjoying on a sunny day in a festival crowd.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 24, 2021, 12:47:45 PM
I find most ska to be shite but I'd honestly take Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake over The Specials and The Skatalites any day. The old stuff does nowt for me but there's an extremely goofball sense of fun in the more modern stuff that I can't deny really enjoying on a sunny day in a festival crowd.

Naughty step. NOW!

bakabaka

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on July 24, 2021, 12:29:38 PM
Were they the first band to really popularise coloured vinyl?
Coloured vinyl was popular in the 60's, but mostly for kids' records. I had a yellow and a green LP (don't remember what they were) and a 2-single red Story of Ali Baba when I was little. And Kenny Everett's World's Worst Record which was mottled "puke" colour in 1978.

The problem I have with pop punk is that during the late 70's loads of what was called punk was really just fast pop, so I've never been able to define the genre to my satisfaction.

The Mollusk

Brundle-Fly

Isn't The Dickies Banana Splits 7 on black vinyl supposed to be much rarer to find than the yellow disc?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 24, 2021, 01:38:03 PM
I knew what I was getting myself into writing that post. 😎

Ha! I find old Trojan ska so far removed from the likes of Reel Big Fish, Sponge etc finding the offbeat is the only link. I'm a ska nut though, love it across the board from all eras but I will concede a bad ska record is worse than amoebic dysentery.

Jockice

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 24, 2021, 12:47:45 PM

Got to admit, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. But like THE best live band I've ever seen, The Bhundu Boys, their records don't do much for me. Some acts are just meant to be on stage and everything else is extraneous.

And I had several Dickies singles in coloured vinyl. As someone who became a teenager slightly too late to be a proper punk, they provided a sugary rush I hadn't really experienced until then. And there's nowt up with fast pop anyway.

The Mollusk

Yeah I'll concede I have no desire to listen to ska punk records, at least not outside of some sort of party setting. I have that with a lot of dance music like jungle and garage too - garage I can sometimes even find repellant in my own home but if it's playing loud in a venue for some reason I can totally gel with it. I think a lot of it has to do with the environment and the people your surrounded by as well.

Chedney Honks

Never listened to Green Day in my life and enjoying Dookie. Every song sound the same, it's great. Kind of like Ash but from America rather than Northern Ireland?

Jockice

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 24, 2021, 03:17:12 PM
Never listened to Green Day in my life and enjoying Dookie. Every song sound the same, it's great. Kind of like Ash but from America rather than Northern Ireland?

I've akways avoided Green Day, mainly cos the guy's voice annoys me.  Ash are much better.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Jockice on July 24, 2021, 03:22:24 PM
I've akways avoided Green Day, mainly cos the guy's voice annoys me.  Ash are much better.

I dunno about that, Ash are probably the only band that made me think I could make it as a professional singer.

Jockice

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 23, 2021, 08:37:27 PM
If The Buzzcocks aren't pop punk, then no one is. And they're one of the greatest bands of all time.

Plastic punk as a young woman in her early 20s recently described them and The Undertones.. Kids today eh? They know nowt.

The Mollusk

Pop is pretty plastic though. There's a lot of plastic products which even make a popping sound, like crisp packets and bubble wrap. The Undertones are basically the crisp packets of music. HOW DO YA LIKE THEM FAKE PLASTIC APPLES EH

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Steven88 on July 23, 2021, 10:47:05 PM
No blink-182 mentions? I was a bit young when Green Day came out so I always preferred blink, I still regularly listen to their albums now.

I skimmed through 'Enema of the State' last week for the first time in years and I still really dig most of it.  There's definitely an element of nostalgia since all my friends seemed to have that album on loop during the summer of '99 when we were all hyped about leaving high school, but even so I think they're just good songs that I'd enjoy if I heard them for the first time today.

Some of my fav pop punk bands are:
Dance Hall Crashers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdqzoSgsig
Aquabats - https://youtu.be/XzaDr1xwZe4
The Muffs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2w72Yywfpc

and Ramones who I'm surprised haven't been mentioned yet but I don't think anyone needs a link to know what they sound like.

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 24, 2021, 08:50:01 AM
Gotta be honest here bands like MCR, Fall Out Boy and Brand New are basically (third wave?) emo. Weezer are way more of a power pop band also.

New Found Glory, on the other hand...!

Emo and Post Hardcore boomed around the time of MCR and Fallout Boys time, bands like Thursday, Glassjaw, Against Me.

Weezer were a strange band in that they had several comebacks and tended to play with the bands they influenced. They were an MTV band, a bit like Green Day and Blink 182 in that their music videos Buddy Holly, Basketcase and All the Small things led to mass popularity.