Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Actors you will watch in anything...

Started by TrenterPercenter, July 23, 2021, 08:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsavedLatin

Michael Caine. Admittedly I haven't tested the limits of my love by watching e.g. Jaws 4, but there's never been anything I have seen of his where I haven't felt he's added to proceedings immeasurably.

Thomas

I'd be drawn to anything with Paddy Considine, Olivia Colman, Robert Pattinson, or Cillian Murphy in. I trust them to be great and to choose interesting roles. Florence Pugh might join these ranks. Daniel Radcliffe, too, actually - he didn't begin as the finest actor out there, but since Harry Potter he's had the freedom of selectivity, and seems to have used it mainly for offbeat projects. I still have some major Harry Dean Stantons to watch.

Karen Gillan.

Absorb the anus burn

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm drawing a blank. There are actors that are always good, some who can elevate whatever they're in and probably some who were fortunate or wise enough to never appear in anything bad. I can't think of any that would entice me to watch some old load of crap, just because they were in it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, I dunno. Just yesterday I was watching a really, really crap film about....Oh, Can't be arsed describing the plot, but it was called " National Treasure: Book Of Secrets" Annoying crap actor and former Jonathon Ross Lookalike Nicolas Cage was in it, along with old ham Jon Voight, but top classy actress Helen Mirren was also in it y'see, so I watched that crap film to the end.
( Also , it was on Finnish telly , broadcast in English, but with Finnish subtitles, so I was learning meself a bit of Finnish, too. I was watching the film in this small bar in which I was the only punter, so it was me and the barmaid watching the film, so I was reading out the subtitles with suitable dramatic flourish and giving direct translation of what they meant, felt like I was working at the UN, so I did. The barmaid was also greatly amused and impressed by my Finnish pronunciation, until towards the end when she started looking at her phone. Anyways, it was doing this and the presence of Helen Mirren that got me through that frankly rubbish film.)

holyzombiejesus

Toby Jones. I love that man, even in that thing where he slagged off Port Vale. Ben Whishaw too, just something really warm and human about the pair of them.

My friend used to watch anything that had Micky Rourke in it. He got through so many awful films, like the 9 1/2 weeks sequel. Don't think he ever made it to Shergar though.

Dr Rock

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 23, 2021, 08:57:33 PM
Yaphet Kotto
Carol White
Peter Falk
Donald Pleasence
Frances McDormand
🎵 it's the end of the world as we know it. 🎵

Quote from: AliasTheCat on July 24, 2021, 12:20:15 PM
Brad Dourif always adds class to whatever he's in.
Seen his daughter in a few things (actually, maybe only one thing) and she's pretty good and all.

Custard

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 23, 2021, 09:01:28 PM
Lupita Nyong'o can get on there also

And Riz Ahmed after his Sound of METAL performance put himself on my list also

Yes to both

I'd also add Tom Hardy. Who I find incredibly entertaining and funny in most of his roles. Even when I don't think he's trying to be funny

Bill Murray

Sebastian Cobb

Isabelle Huppert
Michael Ironside
Sam Neill

SteveDave

Gregory Peck

Bob Dylan agrees with me.

Chedney Honks

Rosamund Kwan

She's been in plenty of gold and plenty of crap, but she's always great. Much funnier than her appearance and demeanour would suggest.

El Unicornio, mang

Adèle Haenel

Loved her in Portrait of a Lady on Fire and watched everything else she's done that I've been able to get hold of. Not all great films but she's always fantastic.

Did the same for De Niro up until about the mid 2000s when I realised he was rarely appearing in anything good since about 1995.

Avril Lavigne

I've actually seen all of Meg Ryan's films just to spite someone I know and will continue to do so til either I or she cease to be.

non capisco

I once saw Meg Ryan telling a knock knock joke to a man with a massive goitre in a Wetherspoons on Wardour Street in about 2002 but no-one ever believes me.

paddy72

Ben Mendelsohn.

Always great. Been a huge fan since first seeing him in Animal Kingdom, which I watched for the umpteenth time last night.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: non capisco on July 27, 2021, 12:15:24 AM
I once saw Meg Ryan telling a knock knock joke to a man with a massive goitre in a Wetherspoons on Wardour Street in about 2002 but no-one ever believes me.

Are you sure it wasn't Leslie Ash?

I don't know if he's been in anything shit but Walton Goggins has pretty much stolen the show every time I've seen him on screen. And another vote for Steve Buscemi.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think he's a great actor, or think that a lot of the stuff he's in is particularly good but I do quite like it when I see Matthew Lillard crop up in something. Often his characters are unlikable dickheads as well. Can't really explain it.

The Mollusk

Too half-asleep to write a good post but, John Goodman.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: non capisco on July 27, 2021, 12:15:24 AM

Goitre who?

Goitre the doctor asap you big wally

Lord Mandrake

Dunno if he's cancelled or a tory but Jeremy Irons always gives good value especially when let off the chain.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on August 08, 2021, 08:11:44 PM
Dunno if he's cancelled or a tory but Jeremy Irons always gives good value especially when let off the chain.

Dead Ringers is where it's at.

chveik

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on August 08, 2021, 08:11:44 PM

fuck i wasn't aware of that, deffo a favourite at chveik HQ

Lord Mandrake

To reiterate, I don't know that he's either of those things but I'm sure he tried to marry his son or something?

touchingcloth

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 06, 2021, 08:58:58 PM
I don't think he's a great actor, or think that a lot of the stuff he's in is particularly good but I do quite like it when I see Matthew Lillard crop up in something. Often his characters are unlikable dickheads as well. Can't really explain it.

His grizzling in Twin Peaks: The Return was one of the two scenes that were entirely too patience testing for me.