Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donuts

Started by Chedney Honks, July 24, 2021, 07:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Butchers Blind on July 24, 2021, 12:22:10 PM
Krispy Kreme donuts are way overpriced. Lidl do a jaffa donut that is alright.

Yeah, the supermarket ones that cost 75p for a bag of five are better than them.Sugar coated ones are always better than the KK-style slime coated ones.

The best ones are freshly cooked hot fairground ones.

The millionaires doughnut from mcdonalds has got nice toffee stuff in it.

Yeah, the supermarket ones are good enough, 50p for two.

I try to be good but I can't seem to walk past a doughnut at the minute.

Bought these two toffee meringue things the other week and ate them both :(
Could have offered the other to someone else, but I didn't.

Fuck me, they were nice. Get some of them an' all.

Jasha

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 24, 2021, 09:40:26 AM
Horrid cold clag. Unpleasant density, whether it is the pallid limp dogshit-tier corporate iced stools or independent offerings

Thoughts and prayers

Sebastian Cobb

Not really a fan of the premade ones with fillings and icing and all that.

Do like the ones you get made right in front of you by a sullen man who stand in front of a fryer and turns a handle to make them drop into it. Usually seen at markets and steam fairs and that. Less is more.

Replies From View

Quote from: flotemysost on July 24, 2021, 10:59:45 AM
I got a bit addicted to Crosstown's matcha donuts in the winter lockdown:

They've got a really nice dense, bready texture, not like the greasy squashy do's of yore. Vegan too (as are many of their other flavours - the chai custard was another favourite).

I actually don't mind a fairground-style sugary bastard now and then but always custard filling, not jam, never saw the appeal of that.

Is there any reason why the fragments of bathroom tile and powdery wasabi weren't removed from the tabletop before the photo was taken?

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 24, 2021, 11:45:17 AM
Dunkin Donuts, the good one is Chocolate Kreme. Have to get them in the morning as they aren't glazed and go hard by lunchtime.

Six doughnuts equal a dozen, according to them.  How can you trust them after that?

Dex Sawash

Kankurette

Krispy Kreme donuts are overrated. Tesco jam doughnuts, though? The best. Also those churros you get at festivals.

mothman

I continue to like the Greggs ones, he said, preparing to be piled on.

flotemysost

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 24, 2021, 12:16:46 PM
Christ compels that looks good

It is, and I used to live perilously close to one of their bakeries (which rendered the name Crosstown a bit ironic, seeing as the calorific expenditure of getting from my flat to there, a journey I made frequently, wouldn't even have touched the sides of one of them bad boys).

Quote from: Replies From View on July 24, 2021, 04:38:22 PM
Is there any reason why the fragments of bathroom tile and powdery wasabi weren't removed from the tabletop before the photo was taken?

I think it's white chocolate. Not sure what the nuclear waste-like goo leaching towards it is though.

And yep the Tesco bakery ones are a solid option.

Kankurette

One of my Aussie cousins spent Christmas 2000 with us and got obsessed with Tesco doughnuts. I can't remember how many he got through then, but it was a lot. Unfortunately Oz has strict rules about food so he couldn't take any home.

PlanktonSideburns

Really enjoying imagining someone from Perth saying

TESCO DONUTS

TEEESCO DOOOOUNUTS!

chveik

only the donut on the glass plate

Shit Good Nose

I think doughnuts are one of those things that's incredibly difficult to get wrong.  Krispy Kreme are indeed massively overpriced (and they always used to be considered as the shitty option in the States, with Dunkin the much better donut of that type), but they are still edible.  Supermarket doughnuts are dandy, BUT they go over real quick (presumably because they're not chock full of the preservatives that Krispy Kreme are).  Sainsbury's and Morrisons doughnuts in particular are going stale by the beginning of day two.  I also know for a fact (because a mate worked there) that the recipe for Sainsbury's own bakery doughnut batter changed about five or six years ago, so they're drier than they used to be.  Best in my opinion are fresh bakery doughnuts, but, as mentioned above, there's nothing like those little ones from the mobile vans, freshly cooked while you wait and rolled in sugar.  Eaten hot, nom.

Talking of sugar, always should be rolled in granulated sugar, NOT icing sugar.  My heart sinks whenever I see a duffnut with icing sugar.

Cloud

Love them but yeah maybe have one every couple of years or something as they're about the worst thing you can put into your body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqTk907fls4

This guy loves them too

mothman

I can't stand Krispy Kreme. Horrible pappy stuff. But I also like their glazed raspberry-filled ones, in a sort-of guilty pleasure kind of way. It's the hatewank of donuts.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on July 24, 2021, 08:48:06 PM
I can't stand Krispy Kreme. Horrible pappy stuff. But I also like their glazed raspberry-filled ones, in a sort-of guilty pleasure kind of way. It's the hatewank of donuts.

Yep, for every 10 people that say they can't stand them, I guarantee that 8 or 9 would quite happily take one or two down if they didn't have to pay for them.

mothman

Not sure whether this is still within the ambit of the thread but M&S Yumnuts are very nice.  And sort of doughnuts.

mothman

Steady on. The Crisps thread is up in arms because somebody mentioned  nuts. And you want to introduce a non-toroidal/non-ovoidal element here?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on July 24, 2021, 10:12:41 PM
Steady on. The Crisps thread is up in arms because somebody mentioned  nuts. And you want to introduce a non-toroidal/non-ovoidal element here?

Can I have a ruling on doughnuts in the shape of a person (basically the same shape as a gingerbread man) please?  Our local bakery's speciality.

Quote from: mothman on July 24, 2021, 10:12:41 PM

They are toroids!  Well, sort of.  They are probably best described as thick discs with a hole stamped out of the middle. 

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 24, 2021, 10:23:39 PM
Can I have a ruling on doughnuts in the shape of a person (basically the same shape as a gingerbread man) please?  Our local bakery's speciality.

Are they made of doughnut dough and fried?  If so, fair game, and with extra surface area from the arms and legs - and the surface is the best bit.

I'd say that composition is more crucial than shape when determining the 'doughnutness' of a consumable.  Otherwise, Cheerios would be doughnuts and that's just mad.

Bronzy

Probably my favourite J Dilla album

mothman

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 24, 2021, 10:42:54 PM
They are toroids!  Well, sort of.  They are probably best described as thick discs with a hole stamped out of the middle. 

I thought yum-yums were normally straight, or even oblong?

Quote from: mothman on July 24, 2021, 10:58:05 PM
I thought yum-yums were normally straight, or even oblong?

Ah yes they are but Yumnuts are a cross between a yum-yum and a doughnut!  Doughnut shape but flaky dough like a yumyum, and also a glaze.

Cold Meat Platter

So much for the tolerant left.

Shit Good Nose

Cronut?  I've never had one mind, not being a fan of croissants.

Sebastian Cobb

luv a croissant, needs to be with butter rather than any of that jam shit

bgmnts

Donuts feel like they were a medieval snack for people who were poor as fuck, that we've modernised and mass produced.

Bland little sweet treats you eat for the fuck of it.