Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spitting Image trending on Twitter due to racial controversy

Started by Retinend, July 24, 2021, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

If it looked like him I wouldn't have a problem. Exaggerated features are the whole point visually in Spitting Image puppets.

But it looks nothing like him so it just ends up appearing very racist.

The biggest controversy is how this new Spitting Image got a second series considering the first was a bland shower of shite.

Thursday

Christ imagine thinking you needed to do a Marcus Rashford puppet though.

HAHA ABOUT TIME SOMEONE TOOK HIM DOWN A PEG

fuck me it's so depressing.

"HE'S A PUBLIC FIGURE SATIRE DOESN'T TAKE SIDES"

Shut up you unbelievably stupid cunts.

idunnosomename

I imagine he'll be a good boy running the government and feeding children while the Boris puppet goes "pwaff!" and libs will clap at the tremendous satire. and Matt Forde will have an enormous Tony Blair puppet made so he can be unbirthed into it like the end of Peter Jackson's Braindead

beanheadmcginty

Anybody considered starting a thread where we suggest which famous people look most like the caricature of whatever race they are? For a long time I thought it was Gilbert Gottfried, until I discovered recently that he is not of Chinese descent.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Thursday on July 24, 2021, 10:28:48 PM

Shut you unbelievably stupid cunts.

"What material are we going to have on him?"
"Racist latex?"

Barry Admin

Quote from: jobotic on July 24, 2021, 09:34:08 PM
When people say "you're looking to be offended" why do they think anyone would?

Because it releases endorphins in their brain, and/or because they want to generate attention for themselves on social media, generally.

Do you think Darren Grimes or any of the Spiked cunts are actually offended by all the things they write about?

Barry Admin

Shut you unbelievably stupid cunts.

Gonna strongly disagree with this, despite thinking he's brilliant, and a hero (which I never, ever thought I'd say about a footballer).

It would be daft for Spitting Image not to feature such a significant cultural figure.  And no, satire should not take sides. So we don't know the subject of the material here, but Rashford absolutely isn't above getting a few jokes levelled at him.

thenoise

Maybe he will be forfeiting penalty practice to work on his kneeling.

guest writer: A Lawrence

Thursday

I suppose in principal, I don't think Rushford can never be the subject of satire, but the problem is more that this is Spitting Image in 2021 and it'll be shit.

Kankurette

Shut up you unbelievably stupid cunts.
Inorite? Like, why him? Why not Grealish?

Deliciousbass

i think the fact they had a black puppet with thick lips when the actual person doesn't is monumentally stupid. the less charitable way of reading it is that they are just flat out racist.

i've never seen spitting image but would imagine it's the former reason rather than the latter. regardless, i think it would be a pretty othering experience to turn on your tv and see an age old racist trope prancing round as a satirical take on an individual.

still, fuck all these miserable pricks on twitter. this doesn't need to be more than a reminder that these kinds of stereotypes cause harm.

imitationleather

Bet the Rashford character is a whiny shite complaining about parking regs and minor stuff and the Boris puppet pwns him every week.

Glebe

I mean the thing about caricature exaggerating noticeable features, his lips are pretty unremarkable ffs. Puppet doesn't resemble him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This is Barry Norman and the mole on his forehead that he doesn't actually have in real life all over again.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Also, that Gareth Southgate puppet looks more like a bad tempered Leonard Rossiter. But so does Gareth Southgate, I suppose.

Kankurette

Quote from: Glebe on July 25, 2021, 02:35:01 AM
I mean the thing about caricature exaggerating noticeable features, his lips are pretty unremarkable ffs. Puppet doesn't resemble him.
I'd say Marcus Rashford's nose is more prominent tbh.

Like I said, Jack 'herp derp what is an encyclopaedia' is RIGHT THERE. So is Slabhead Maguire.

Brundle-Fly

In the eighties, each puppet cost £5000 to make so I reckon it must be at least £20,0000 to make a puppet of a footballer today. That's a lot of dough for a couple of out of date Euro 21 sketches.

Gurke and Hare

If there's a Gareth Southgate puppet shouldn't there be a Tamsin Archer puppet?

privatefriend

Hopefully there is a sketch about how Rashford is a multi-property landlord, tongue deep in the arse of big corporations, telling poor kids to eat fish fingers, designer clothes on the cover of vogue whilst 'promoting activism' ghoul.

JamesTC

I imagine that Rashford won't be the butt of any jokes in this. The joke will be on the media/politicians.

Not that this excuses the puppet.

mippy

Quote from: privatefriend on July 25, 2021, 01:40:39 PM
Hopefully there is a sketch about how Rashford is a multi-property landlord, tongue deep in the arse of big corporations, telling poor kids to eat fish fingers, designer clothes on the cover of vogue whilst 'promoting activism' ghoul.

I wasn't aware one could appear on the cover of Vogue in George at Asda.

idunnosomename

Fish fingers are great? They're breaded pieces of fish fillet?

privatefriend

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 25, 2021, 05:41:08 PM
Fish fingers are great? They're breaded pieces of fish fillet?

Hard enough in the sea as it is without cutting off their fingers.

Kankurette

You must have enjoyed the Spectator article.

I swear Gylfi Sigurdsson gets less hate and he's a paedophile. Maybe Rashford should send dirty texts to a 14 year old girl. As for designer clothes, so fucking what.

Sorry, I live in the area where the mural is and it's a sore point. I'm just sick of the incessant sneering at Rashford when there are worse people out there. Even if Rashford didn't own properties or wear designer clothes, people would still find something to bitch about.

kalowski

"I am so annoyed by this young, successful and rich man spending money on things he wants to do whilst simultaneously holding the government to account. I bet he bought his mum a big house, the twat."

Kankurette

He should have beaten up a woman like that nice wholesome white Joey Barton.

privatefriend

Quote from: Kankurette on July 25, 2021, 05:59:06 PM
You must have enjoyed the Spectator article.

I swear Gylfi Sigurdsson gets less hate and he's a paedophile. Maybe Rashford should send dirty texts to a 14 year old girl. As for designer clothes, so fucking what.

Sorry, I live in the area where the mural is and it's a sore point. I'm just sick of the incessant sneering at Rashford when there are worse people out there. Even if Rashford didn't own properties or wear designer clothes, people would still find something to bitch about.

Not seen the article in question. Will wait and see on Gylfi. Do think the puppet is both a bad caricature and probably racist.

Retinend

You couldn't buy this sort of advertising, could you?

mr. logic

He advertises fish fingers?

Just googled. Do you mean when he suggested pocket friendly meals for kids, one of which was fish finger sandwiches?

I'm sure you don't, as I'm sure you're a nice person.