Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What you having for your dinner?

Started by Chedney Honks, July 25, 2021, 09:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Making ceviche with green plantains, hearts of palm and nori furrysomething instead of playing GI roulette with actual seafood.

Icehaven

I've just put some barbecue marinaded ribs in the slow cooker so they'll be ready in about 6 hours. I've only done ribs on a grill or in a regular oven before and they've nearly always turned out chewy so this is a last attempt at them before I give up.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: icehaven on July 25, 2021, 02:11:02 PM
I've just put some barbecue marinaded ribs in the slow cooker so they'll be ready in about 6 hours. I've only done ribs on a grill or in a regular oven before and they've nearly always turned out chewy so this is a last attempt at them before I give up.

pressure cook ribs first then bbq

bgmnts

Had yesterday's moussaka for dinner and for tea I dont know yet.

mothman

Icehaven

Chedney Honks

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 25, 2021, 01:57:07 PM
Feta? Stuffed into Lamb? With a side that also includes feta?

The feta in the lamb joint basically melts in to give some extra saltiness.

The dressing was sharper, red wine vinegar, lots of herbs, just a little feta for the tang.

Turned out great, though the highlight was probably the Hasselbacks. Two halves of garlic bulb and a shitload of rosemary, thyme and bay roasted in there. Potatoes really soaked all that up with the lamb juices.

It was actually quite a light roast dinner, much more my preference than the gravy job.

TrenterPercenter

Actually sounds ace!

pics next time pls

thenoise

Even before I became veggie the only part of a roast worth mentioning was the roast potatoes. Personally I think gravy ruins them - save it for the bland boiled cabbage and carrots - but a nice bit of seasonal/meat dependant sauce is good for dipping- cranberry, mint, apple, horseradish, mustard, anything. Dip that crunchy perfectly roasted spud in a bit of whatever and enjoy.

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2021, 12:52:00 PM
We splashed out and got an Ooni pizza oven, and I was thinking I might try making a Calzone tonight.

We were thinking of one of those!  Are they good?

Quote from: icehaven on July 25, 2021, 03:54:40 PM
I don't have a pressure cooker. They're a bit bomby for me.

Instant pots are brilliant, and don't look too threatening.  When they come up to pressure there's only a tiny hiss and rattle.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 25, 2021, 04:53:36 PM

Yes they are great (got one too). 

Can double up as a tandoor also!

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 25, 2021, 04:54:29 PM
Instant pots are brilliant, and don't look too threatening.  When they come up to pressure there's only a tiny hiss and rattle.

At pain of starting the instantpot wars of before; they are brilliant and very safe - there is like 7 safety mechanisms built into it so it can't explode (though I've never known anyone ever have a pressure cooker explode irl).

mothman

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 25, 2021, 04:53:36 PM

Very. Some friends (who're Italian) of a friend got one and swear by it. Tastes like proper pizza. We got the gas burning model and you'd never know it wasn't from a wood-burning stove. The 12"-pizza model is sufficient, no point paying nearly double for the 16". Buying their semi-frozen ready-made dough balls is also worthwhile for when you first get it and are learning how to use it properly, it means one less thing to worry about.

Blue Jam

Sea bass with a ciabatta, parmesan, basil, parsley and lemon crust. Samphire. Potatoes sautéed with spinach and ground almonds. Can't face putting the oven on in this weather but the hob and the grill are alright.

Chedney Honks

Sounds great. That would go down well right about now.

Gurke and Hare

Sausages and sweet potates, and probably peas.

monkfromhavana

Beef stew.

Beef stew in the name of the law.

With mash.

steve98

I'll be having pork chops from ASDA and - if I don't bleed to death, impaled on a 2 inch shard of bone, because ASDA have changed the way they butcher their pigs, making them fucking lethal - semolina, for afters

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 25, 2021, 06:11:27 PM
Beef stew in the name of the law.

Ha ha ha, we used to have fish stew in the name of the law.

Mr Banlon

We had Leopold Bloom in the name of the law.

Ferris

At the in-laws for dinner, the old boy stocks an excellent cellar and it is usually some type of steak that I don't even have to cook, and the cherry on top is the selection of tiny matchbox cars which my child holds in both hands and runs around with for hours making zooming noises, zero parenting or intervention required.

3hrs in a chair reading and getting quietly quite smashed in the corner. Not even my turn to get up tomorrow. Magic.

Blue Jam

Couldn't get hold of spinach or samphire. Got mange tout for the greens instead and decided to sauté the potatoes with... Nando's Lemon and Herb seasoning. Fucking magic. Nice little hit of chilli worked with the little vine tomatoes I chucked under the grill. Thanks Nando, you're a fuckin' ledge.

Icehaven

Pleased to say the ribs were perfect, slow cooking them worked, zero chewiness and the fat even went a bit crunchy in places, which I wasn't expecting (was going to grill them for 10 mins after cooking but didn't need to).

Icehaven

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 25, 2021, 08:13:08 PM

That looks nice, although I'm a gravy fiend so I'd need a lot more. I think of roasts more as gravy soup with meat and veg floating about in it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: icehaven on July 25, 2021, 08:23:57 PM
That looks nice, although I'm a gravy fiend so I'd need a lot more. I think of roasts more as gravy soup with meat and veg floating about in it.

So is the other half so she gets first dibs and I get the scraps.

mothman

Calzone was an unmitigated success. Ham, pepperoni, chorizo, hot sweet bell peppers and roasted red peppers. And mozzarella of course.

So I was left with a spare dough ball (we've learnt to have a backup). So we made a Nutella calzone for dessert. Fucking lush. Couple of slices left, that's breakfast sorted.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2021, 09:21:55 PM
Calzone was an unmitigated success. Ham, pepperoni, chorizo

Nrrrrgghh, I can't handle more than one kind of meat on a pizza. I'm getting the meat sweats just reading this.

Congrats on your pizza oven doing the job. Well jel.

chveik

made some veggie fajitas. it was nice