Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,309
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What you having for your dinner?

Started by Chedney Honks, July 25, 2021, 09:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2021, 12:52:00 PM
We splashed out and got an Ooni pizza oven, and I was thinking I might try making a Calzone tonight.

Dead jealous, been thinking about getting one of the gas ones for ages.

I'm an idiot though - will it work alright?

Blue Jam

I forgot to add: Smashing up a bread roll in a blender is immensely satisfying. Even better than chucking a few Easy Peelers in there.

mothman

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 25, 2021, 09:24:19 PM
Nrrrrgghh, I can't handle more than one kind of meat on a pizza. I'm getting the meat sweats just reading this.
Sorry! And yeah I get what you mean about too much (variety of) meat on a 'proper' pizza.
QuoteCongrats on your pizza oven doing the job. Well jel.
Yeah, we're getting the hang of it. You have to roll and decorate the pizza in a hurry before it sticks to the paddle, even if floured. It's quite an intensive process. And not really conducive to social dining TBH, you make one for one person then you're looking at another 5-10 mins before the next one is ready. I'd eaten half mine before MrsMoth's was ready, and she was having a GF based on a GF flatbread...

Dex Sawash

Spent too much time prepping boat for race next weekend so ate 2 fried egg tacos (fried egg with burst yolk with a bit of parmesan).

El Unicornio, mang

Whenever I get Indian takeaway I always get an extra meal that I put in the freezer for future (to save money on ordering again), so gonna defrost that for tonight (chicken jalfrezi).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2021, 09:48:31 PM
Sorry! And yeah I get what you mean about too much (variety of) meat on a 'proper' pizza.Yeah, we're getting the hang of it. You have to roll and decorate the pizza in a hurry before it sticks to the paddle, even if floured. It's quite an intensive process. And not really conducive to social dining TBH, you make one for one person then you're looking at another 5-10 mins before the next one is ready. I'd eaten half mine before MrsMoth's was ready, and she was having a GF based on a GF flatbread...

This is the only draw back; getting that system going; so solution is it is a two person job; one to prep and one to operate the oven.  Also I've found don't be shy with the flour on peel I've not had any stickers for a sometime now.  I've got the wood fired one also which is great and does add to the flavour; I was considering getting the gas attachment just for ease of use.

have you tried using it for other things yet? I made my own chicken tikka masala in which I "burned" the chicken in the Ooni first (in a cast iron skillet) then added it to the sauce and it was immense (I'm not even a fan of CTM but this was something else).

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 26, 2021, 12:04:14 PM
Whenever I get Indian takeaway I always get an extra meal that I put in the freezer for future (to save money on ordering again), so gonna defrost that for tonight (chicken jalfrezi).

That's genius

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 26, 2021, 02:11:31 PM
That's genius

Yeah I was thinking same and I am going to do this from now on

Cuellar

(seriously)

bgmnts

The fuck? I've been doing that for years. I thought it was a common thing.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on July 26, 2021, 02:18:37 PM
The fuck? I've been doing that for years. I thought it was a common thing.

Damn, for a few posts there I thought I'd truly invented something :-(

Also make my own rice to go with it sometimes, more money savings, although it's never as good as the restaurant stuff.

niat

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2021, 09:48:31 PM
Sorry! And yeah I get what you mean about too much (variety of) meat on a 'proper' pizza.Yeah, we're getting the hang of it. You have to roll and decorate the pizza in a hurry before it sticks to the paddle, even if floured. It's quite an intensive process. And not really conducive to social dining TBH, you make one for one person then you're looking at another 5-10 mins before the next one is ready. I'd eaten half mine before MrsMoth's was ready, and she was having a GF based on a GF flatbread...

Semolina flour is great for stopping the pizza sticking to the paddle. Don't use too much though as it can go up in flames on the pizza stone when you're turning the pizza. All adds to the flavour (and theatre) though.

I got an Ooni a few months ago and I've used it pretty much every week since. I used to whack up my oven to full blast to cook homemade pizzas but the pizza oven gets much hotter and the pizzas are awesome. I bought a second paddle to get 2 prepared at the same time.

TrenterPercenter

Yeah I keep forgetting to pick some semolina flour up will make a note to do this as will be making some pizza on weds

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I never manage to eat it all, there always seems to be 1 and a half servings per main, so this happens anyway.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 26, 2021, 04:49:22 PM
Yeah I keep forgetting to pick some semolina flour up will make a note to do this as will be making some pizza on weds

Does gram/besan chickpea flour work with this? It's basically a wonder ingredient that I have in permanently, so if that's another tick I'll be made up.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 26, 2021, 05:00:13 PM
I never manage to eat it all, there always seems to be 1 and a half servings per main, so this happens anyway.

Yeah but just having that next day is standard, Unicornio has taken that to the next level.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 26, 2021, 05:01:39 PM
Does gram/besan chickpea flour work with this? It's basically a wonder ingredient that I have in permanently, so if that's another tick I'll be made up.

Dunno but it is another flour that I also forget to pick up - this is the stuff you can make shit hot pakora with right?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 26, 2021, 05:05:39 PM
Yeah but just having that next day is standard, Unicornio has taken that to the next level.

Yeah, always have the second half next day. Even make sure I only eat exactly half the naan bread so I have the other half for day 2. Poppadoms don't seem to last though so they get scoffed on day 1, with the remnants of the dip sauces going in the freezer along with the main.

Exciting moments in my  life.

Cold Meat Platter

About to light up a barbecue. Burgers, a steak, some square sausage ;)

Jockice

Icehaven

I'm probably being dim here but how does ordering two takeaway meals at the same time save money? Is it because of special offers or minimum delivery amount or something?

Zetetic

Delivery costs (and tipping the deliverer) are fixed. More stuff in deliveries => fewer deliveries => less spent on delivery costs.

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah. Actually considering taking it to the next level and ordering a bulk selection of meals to stick in the freezer for the months ahead...

Cold Meat Platter

Some takeaways even have a multibuy offer on certain days/at certain times, don't they.

mothman

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 26, 2021, 12:21:10 PM
This is the only draw back; getting that system going; so solution is it is a two person job; one to prep and one to operate the oven.  Also I've found don't be shy with the flour on peel I've not had any stickers for a sometime now.  I've got the wood fired one also which is great and does add to the flavour; I was considering getting the gas attachment just for ease of use.

have you tried using it for other things yet? I made my own chicken tikka masala in which I "burned" the chicken in the Ooni first (in a cast iron skillet) then added it to the sauce and it was immense (I'm not even a fan of CTM but this was something else).

Yeah, I think we're just being a bit lazy using gas but then life is too short. We have a Outback dual barbecue that does coal and gas and most of the time we just use the gas...

No, I have NOT tried doing anything else in it (apart from the Nutella calzone) but now I want to! Are there any recipes you can recommend for the chicken tikka?

Quote from: niat on July 26, 2021, 04:45:33 PM
Semolina flour is great for stopping the pizza sticking to the paddle. Don't use too much though as it can go up in flames on the pizza stone when you're turning the pizza. All adds to the flavour (and theatre) though.

I got an Ooni a few months ago and I've used it pretty much every week since. I used to whack up my oven to full blast to cook homemade pizzas but the pizza oven gets much hotter and the pizzas are awesome. I bought a second paddle to get 2 prepared at the same time.

Semolina flour. Gotcha. My wife is GF though so we tend to use whatever GF flour we have handy.

And, a second paddle. Now why the fuck didn't THAT occur to us?!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 26, 2021, 05:01:39 PM

*makes notes*

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 26, 2021, 12:21:10 PM

I was wondering about the wood fired one, does it smoke?  We've got quite a little garden and quite pernickety neighbours.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: mothman on July 26, 2021, 07:05:09 PM
No, I have NOT tried doing anything else in it (apart from the Nutella calzone) but now I want to! Are there any recipes you can recommend for the chicken tikka?

Sorry my mistake it wasn't chicken tikka masala but Mrs Balbir Singhs Old Delhi Butter Chicken here is the recipe

https://mrsbalbirsingh.com/blogs/recipes/mrs-balbir-singhs-old-delhi-butter-chicken. Just replace Step 2 with a putting it all in cast iron pan and stick it in the Ooni until it is charred.

Would recommend getting the spices they are great (though if not you can use spice combo here https://www.thespruceeats.com/authentic-butter-chicken-1957382).

I've done chops in it that are great as well anything tandoor you can fit in it you can do basically.  A cast iron pan is your friend here if you've got a nice deep round one like I have you can make Detroit style pizzas too which will save you the peel faff (though they are traditionally square).

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-make-detroit-style-pizza

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 26, 2021, 08:53:50 PM
I was wondering about the wood fired one, does it smoke?  We've got quite a little garden and quite pernickety neighbours.

A little bit but nothing major I don't think enough that would warrant any attention - the fuel box is pretty small all in all.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 26, 2021, 09:10:02 PM
I have you can make Detroit style pizzas too which will save you the peel faff (though they are traditionally square).

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-make-detroit-style-pizza

Not authentic if not cooked over a burning car

mothman

Thanks TP! I do have a really good butter chicken recipe that I use, albeit not very often as I used to find it a bit of a faff - you are after all in essence making one curry, then making that into another curry! But I can adapt the spices from that...

I don't think I have any cast-iron pans anymore apart from a Le Creuset whose non-stick is fucked. May have to look into getting another one...