Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"You Can't See The Wire!": The Madness Videos Thread

Started by DrGreggles, July 25, 2021, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Been watching these after doing a little digging for another thread and it reminded me of just how good they are.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC1F0D7A67783D792

Great aren't they.
Clearly made on the cheap, but so full of ideas, as well as being fun and funny.

So, let's talk about how brilliant Madness videos were.

Brundle-Fly

Generally, all shot on the day too. Stiff Records manager and their promo director, Dave Robinson said they rarely filmed more than two takes of anything because the band were so restless. The expression 'herding cats' springs to mind.

House Of Fun is my favourite. TRIVIA: The funfair was at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach run by a relation of Mike Barson. Mike was completely terrified on the rollercoaster and Sooper Looper rides, apparently. According to an interview with Suggs in Q Magazine, the band went around the roller coaster 54 times before Robinson was satisfied he'd got what he wanted. Once you know this, it makes it funnier.

It's their best choreography too. I like the robotic chemist moves. BTW, in that sequence, see if you can spot Chas Smash forgetting a dance move. He makes Thommo look a right plum.

I lived in Camden for years so I know all the locations very well. The green space is in Kentish Town. The joke shop is Escapade in its old space on the high street before it moved to Chalk Farm. It closed down a couple of years ago. Crying shame. The chemist was off Adelaide Road. Not sure if it's still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2X9SANsME

Chicory

I really like 'The Sun And The Rain'.  Absolutely batshit bonkers and the song is an underrated bobby dazzler.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteMike was completely terrified on the rollercoaster and Sooper Looper rides, apparently

So that expression of petrified horror wasn't entirely put on, then? Interesting!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 25, 2021, 05:59:17 PM
So that expression of petrified horror wasn't entirely put on, then? Interesting!

Yes, genuine terror. It was the same for Paul Barber who played Denzil in Only Fools...In The Jolly Boys Outing episode when the gang were on the rides, Barber hated every second.

Catalogue Trousers

Locations for their videos would be nice to know, especially those for Michael Caine and the suburban street that becomes a war zone in Uncle Sam. Anyone know the lowdown on those?

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on July 25, 2021, 06:28:58 PM
Locations for their videos would be nice to know

Alec's the Gentleman's Hairdressers in the One Step Beyond video was at the top of Water Lane in Leeds, near the railway station.  That row of shops was demolished years ago - I work just opposite and I can see the flats where it used to stand from the window. And I'm pretty sure the nutty-boys walk was filmed on the Recreation estate a bit further down near my old school. (I'm posting from my phone, which makes linking to photos too tricky for my meagre brain).

I've no idea why the outdoor scenes were filmed up here when the rest of the video seems to be in the Hope And Anchor.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on July 26, 2021, 07:38:47 AM

I've no idea why the outdoor scenes were filmed up here when the rest of the video seems to be in the Hope And Anchor.

They may have been on tour in your neck of the woods?

DrGreggles

I always thought that most of them were shot relatively near the Stiff offices.

Brundle-Fly

Locations for their videos would be nice to know, especially those for Michael Caine and the suburban street that becomes a war zone in Uncle Sam. Anyone know the lowdown on those?

Uncle Sam? Not a clue. There are roads like that in Barnet. Maybe in that manor? As far as Michael Caine goes, the only location I think I recognise is Regents Park in the b&w footage of Chrissy Boy pretending to be Harry Palmer. The record and video were good but it was such a departure for them, wasn't it? That single alienated a lot of old fans who were already dealing with gospel choirs and steel bands from the year before with Wings Of A Dove. Another song with Carl-led vocals, interestingly enough. Putting the cat amongst the pigeons even back then.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 26, 2021, 09:08:30 AM
I always thought that most of them were shot relatively near the Stiff offices.

The Divine Madness DVD has great commentary on all the videos. It might shed some light on the locations. I say it's great, by the end they're just singing along to their own songs like a trio of tipsy pensioners. Very endearing. My favourite comment though is from Chas when they're watching the gormless skinhead waking up in the One Step Beyond promo.

"Who's this lump?"

mrClaypole

In one of the tour programme's in the 1990s Chrissyboy did an article on the video locations.  I don't have it too hand now but I think most of the locations he mentions have already been mentioned on here already.
I've often wondered where the Uncle Sam video was filmed too.
I have always loved the madness vids.  Quite inventive on a shoestring budget.

You could always write in to Chris on their website as he has "Chris's cupboard" section where he answers questions from fans.

Brundle-Fly

Thank god Chrissy Boy is the custodian of Madness. The rest of the band seemingly live in a haze regarding the band's career.

DrGreggles

Chrissy Boy is the most fact-heavy one on the Divine Madness commentary.
Chas is just having fun and Mike had little-to-no recollection of any of it.

Norton Canes

YT comment for the Uncle Sam video says "Oakley close Hanwell W7"

Johnboy

Brundle-Fly

I like Taylor Parkes observation about Madness videos. The sky is always so pallid in their videos. Typical London gloom.