Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters (1984)

Started by Chedney Honks, July 25, 2021, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

thinking about it all the sequel dialogue all seems a bit shouty and witless. I mean I guess that's the theme with the slime and negativity, but still, it makes it annoying to watch.

Great effect sequence of the Scoleri Brothers and the memorable shot where The Titanic arrives

not a single ghost blowjob.

greenman

I wouldn't say its terrible but really it does spend most of its runtime going over the same ground as the original less effectively.

Focusing more on the new stuff would I think have been more effective, having the reformation of the ghostbusters as the main plot of the film maybe weaving the Vigo story more into there separate worlds so perhaps guests on World of the Physic become more important or Egon's research picks up on the "bad vibes".

More actual haughted house kind of stuff like the abandoned subway section as well which the original really didnt focus on that much either.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 14, 2021, 09:18:56 PM
Always fucking hated the 'Ghostbusters ! Alright !' yuppie bloke in the crowd. : https://youtu.be/n74rrj1WN6s?t=101

Somebody started a fanclub for him on Facebook right in the early days when Facebook was fun. He occasionally contributed to it. Seemed like a nice bloke. He's in multiple crowd scenes and once you see him you cannot unsee him.

I have a theory that the mood slime in Ghostbusters 2 is a spookily accurate prediction of Twitter.
Also, Vigo the Carpathian is one of the all time great baddies. I was obsessed with the idea of haunted paintings as a kid, even before seeing this, and can't have been the only one.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Here's an alternative sequel idea, just off the top of my head:

With the existence of ghosts now being common knowledge, the Ghostbusters find themselves faced with a whole industry of rival organisations (one of which can be a reference to the '70s telly programme). With so much competition, the CEO of one such company - a slick yuppie type, with a ponytail and a sense of ethics below that of even Peter "thorazine" Venkman - seeks to corner the market by collaborating with some supernatural sod. In a shocking twist, said spectre is manipulating things to increase its own power and take over the world. The Ghostbusters deduce this but their warnings are brushed off as professional jealousy (and not because of arbitrary skepticism, like in the real film). The one sympathetic ear they find belongs to none other than Walter Peck (because William Atherton deserved better than to have strangers shouting 'Dickless' at him for the rest of his life).

A bunch of stuff happens and our heroes eventually save the day by joining forces with a bunch of the other ghost busting companies. This is Winston's time to shine since, as a blue collar bloke, he knows the importance of unionising. It's a big metaphor for capitalism, get it?

I'm no writer, but I think we can all agree that it's genius.

Key

If the Stay-puft Man showed up in todays real universe, I bet a sizable chunk of people, if not the majority would think it was some kind of hi-tech publicity stunt that had gone wrong. Or the democrats. I never really had much of a problem with the idea that the Ghostbusters were dismissed as frauds.
They'll be pushing their luck it though if they do it again in Afterlife.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 15, 2021, 03:54:49 PM
Here's an alternative sequel idea, just off the top of my head:

With the existence of ghosts now being common knowledge, the Ghostbusters find themselves faced with a whole industry of rival organisations (one of which can be a reference to the '70s telly programme). With so much competition, the CEO of one such company - a slick yuppie type, with a ponytail and a sense of ethics below that of even Peter "thorazine" Venkman - seeks to corner the market by collaborating with some supernatural sod. In a shocking twist, said spectre is manipulating things to increase its own power and take over the world. The Ghostbusters deduce this but their warnings are brushed off as professional jealousy (and not because of arbitrary skepticism, like in the real film). The one sympathetic ear they find belongs to none other than Walter Peck (because William Atherton deserved better than to have strangers shouting 'Dickless' at him for the rest of his life).

A bunch of stuff happens and our heroes eventually save the day by joining forces with a bunch of the other ghost busting companies. This is Winston's time to shine since, as a blue collar bloke, he knows the importance of unionising. It's a big metaphor for capitalism, get it?

I'm no writer, but I think we can all agree that it's genius.

The idea of rival Ghostbusters was done in the IDW comics, though I've no idea if they're any good, I thought they were fucking hideous so I couldn't stomach reading them.

madhair60

The comics are absolutely fantastic

Replies From View

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Of course, it being an '80s movie, the evil yuppie is played by Jon Glover.

Replies From View

Replies From View

You are both right.  It's Jon Glover within Roger Glover territory.