Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:48:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters (1984)

Started by Chedney Honks, July 25, 2021, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

That's actually a very good point. Neat of them to acknowledge they're a big load of fannies, but it's taken me 36 years since the original release of the film to understand the cryptic lyrics.

famethrowa

Just thinking back to Peter's "call it fate, call it luck" bit, it always sounds like he's going to burst into a Mary Poppins number as the music swells, I wonder if that was an intentional joke?

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 03, 2021, 08:41:46 PM
I've got a good question.

Why does it say in the song, "I ain't afraid of no ghost" when we see each member of the Ghostbusters in fear of several ghosts and apparitions on numerous occasions throughout the film?

Ray Parker Junior is singing the song, not the Ghostbusters. So surely he's simply speaking for himself that he's afraid of no ghosts. Have we seen any evidence to the contrary? If you watch the video to the song, he's pretty blasé about the various spectral goings on.

Bad Ambassador

If you remember that the song was inspired by advertising jingles, you could see it as the Ghostboasters busting in their publicity about how tough and capable they are.

beanheadmcginty

Here's a thought - did this film invent the idea of the big energy beam that shoots into the sky and unleashes the baddies? All superhero films of the past 20 years owe them a huge debt of gratitude if so.

badaids

I have it on good authority that Ghostbusters is based on a true story.

kalowski

Quote from: badaids on August 04, 2021, 06:51:27 PM
I have it on good authority that Ghostbusters is based on a true story.
Correct, but those guys were toast busters, and as such were not in much demand.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 04, 2021, 06:21:51 PM
Here's a thought - did this film invent the idea of the big energy beam that shoots into the sky and unleashes the baddies? All superhero films of the past 20 years owe them a huge debt of gratitude if so.
Raiders of the Lost Ark had a sky beam first, didn't it?

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 04, 2021, 11:52:53 AM
Ray Parker Junior is singing the song, not the Ghostbusters. So surely he's simply speaking for himself that he's afraid of no ghosts. Have we seen any evidence to the contrary? If you watch the video to the song, he's pretty blasé about the various spectral goings on.

He also claimed that busting made him feel good, but I've seen no evidence he's ever busted anything, let alone a ghost, so I've no choice but to declare Rat Parker Jr. a fucking liar.

And a nonce.

Johnny Textface

Ray Parker Jnr is the luckiest fucker who ever lived.

(for getting the Ghostbusters gig)

St_Eddie

Quote from: kalowski on August 04, 2021, 07:02:29 PM
Correct, but those guys were toast busters, and as such were not in much demand.

Mr Banlon

In late 1984, someone spray painted (in various out of the way locations in my town) large silver circles with diagonal lines through them and the word 'CACKBUSTERS !' written underneath in foot high letters.
Fuck knows what it meant. I think it may have been homophobic, or maybe someone thought Ghostbusters was shit.

famethrowa

The Mollusk

Watched this for the first time in years the other night and I'm afraid to say I merely found it to be pretty good.

It's quite funny but not hilarious. It's fairly entertaining but it's not like whooaaa haha fucking hell, wooo! My biggest problem however was (something which others here seem to love) the pacing of it. I didn't feel invested in any of the characters of their development, like Dana falling for Peter (she finds him annoying, then skip to the end and they're in love), or Winston's introduction and overall involvement which was minimal and almost felt pointless.

The whole thing hops breezily from one plot point to the next and instead of buzzing like a madcap adventure comedy it just felt quite under developed. All the ingredients were there but they weren't mixed together well enough to make a consistently fun film.

I wasn't bored by any stretch but I wasn't bowled over by it either. A firm 7/10 from me.

Inspector Norse

I watched it 2-3 years ago and my main memory is that it was amusing but that Peter was a massive creep

St_Eddie

Quote from: Inspector Norse on August 06, 2021, 11:42:47 AM
I watched it 2-3 years ago and my main memory is that it was amusing but that Peter was a massive creep

Pretty good memory, to be honest.  Dude literally brought a needle containing a tranquilliser to his date.

#CancelVenkman

badaids

There's a bit where Moranis is running about looking for the gatekeeper or whatever, and he's wearing this big open collar on his shirt. Was anyone else like me in that they used to think it was a big horrible flaps of skin on his neck which had all inflamed and that, which really freaked me out and disturbed me for years.

mothman

Chedney Honks

It doesn't need to be set up at all. Within one second, every single audience member gets what it is from the name and the appearance. The fact that it doesn't exist is even better because you're not just going oh I recognise that, you're like what the fucckkkkk and there's something awe-inspiring about it. If it had been Michelin Man it wouldn't have been one iota as memorable. If they had set it up more earlier, it wouldn't have had the same element of awe and surprise.

I really like Limmy but it's not for his screenwriting ability.

Replies From View

For example if they'd really dragged it out with a scene with - I dunno - tons of miniature Stay Pufts going a bit mentile in a shopping aisle, barbecuing each other and shit like this, it would have felt laboured and it would have absolutely subtracted from the impact of Stay Puft's ultimate appearance later on.

For example.

Replies From View

QuoteIt's fictional, you see. I assumed it was some well known American brand and mascot. Naw.

They should have had it in an advert on the telly.

An advert which would have done what, Limmy?  Established it in-universe as a well-known American brand and mascot?

The Mollusk

There is a billboard advertisement featuring Stay Puft in a scene earlier in the film so he is established at least a little bit beforehand.

Blumf

That bit where Stay Puft Man gives Stantz a blowjob should have been enough of a hint.

Dex Sawash

Are any of the other "ghosts" projected in the form of non-paranormal entities?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Johnny Textface on August 04, 2021, 10:27:38 PM
Ray Parker Jnr is the luckiest fucker who ever lived.

(for getting the Ghostbusters gig)

Without the song, it would have been just another screwball Saturday Night Live cult comedy. Picked up a following on VHS ten years later.

Alright, that and the massive marketing campaign.

phantom_power

Stay-Puft isn't a real brand? Give my hat a cigarette

Replies From View

Surely a marshmallow company has obtained the rights to sell tie-in Stay Puft?  It was done with Wonka bars, which annoyed me because they were meant to transcend real life confectionary and not operate as such mundane Nestle products.

Eurgh, I've just imagined being someone who thinks marshmallows are nice and bothers eating them.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Replies From View on August 08, 2021, 04:25:02 PM
Surely a marshmallow company has obtained the rights to sell tie-in Stay Puft?  It was done with Wonka bars, which annoyed me because they were meant to transcend real life confectionary and not operate as such mundane Nestle products.

Am I right in remembering that the Nestle's Wonka brand actually did their own "golden ticket" competition at one point, where the prize was to go on a tour of a real-life chocolate factory? I remember finding that quite a depressing concept.

Edit: Wikipedia seems to think I'm wrong about this and that the prize was actually £10,000. Memory is a fickle thing.