Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:28:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

York City Council blocks disabled councillors from voting in debate

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 25, 2021, 10:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA council ballot turned sour when two councillors were blocked from voting in an accessibility debate — because they are disabled.

Councillors Katie Lomas and Ashley Mason were told by York City Council they had "a prejudicial interest" in vote on improving accessibility in the town centre because they are Blue Badge holders.

The pair were told they had to leave the room during the vote among councillors on Thursday evening, and they would have to declare the reasons in front of their colleagues as a conflict of interest...

After Ms Lomas shared her outrage, she and Liberal Democrat Mr Mason were told they could receive "dispensation" to vote on the matter this once — but not if the topic came up again.

"I feel that probably compounds, the hurt, to me, because they weren't accepting that they were discriminating against me on the grounds of a disability," she added.

Mr Mason told i: "Until Councillor Lomas delivered her speech, the reality of the exclusion hadn't sunk in.

"In the future we need to ensure on a national level that nobody else is put in this position again."

How having a Blue Badge can be a conflict of interest I do not know. Does that mean no councillor who uses the bus should be able to vote on measures relating to buses? Or that no councillor who drives should be able to vote on parking in the centre of York?

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/disabled-councillors-blocked-from-accessibility-vote-because-they-are-disabled-1107366

It's a disgraceful way to treat people and it further erodes the already small voice disabled people have in local government.

As someone on Twitter says, one could just as easily argue that non-disabled councillors voting would be biased because it's in their interest to have fewer spaces which they're not allowed to use.

bgmnts

I mean, aren't you meant to have an interest one way or another when it comes to voting?

Replies From View

This is shocking.

Quote from: bgmnts on July 25, 2021, 11:02:11 AM
I mean, aren't you meant to have an interest one way or another when it comes to voting?

Yep, absolutely.  And representing the interests of those who voted for you, as well.

This says nothing about how councillors' positions can be swayed this way or that way by corporate lobbyists, and how these are rarely if ever challenged.

olliebean

I have a prejudicial interest in not wanting my country to be run by a bunch of cunts. I guess I can expect to be blocked from voting in General Elections from now on.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteCouncillors Katie Lomas and Ashley Mason were told by York City Council they had "a prejudicial interest" in vote on improving accessibility in the town centre because they are Blue Badge holders.

Where do you even begin with this....

KennyMonster

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2021, 11:06:25 AM
.......  And representing the interests of those who voted for you, as well.

This says nothing about how councillors' positions can be swayed this way or that way by corporate lobbyists, and how these are rarely if ever challenged.

Councillors 100 years ago were a bit different.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/council-jailed-helping-poor-forgotten-24605285?fbclid=IwAR3p4gSxPXvohZcuv9dQpjClg2o0bjut6oz6D4YdfRrN4EgIqAgWlNlqutA

[nb]2nd time today I've hawked this link, I know[/nb]

BlodwynPig

Shows the prejudice of the leader of the vote. She should be jailed.

Fambo Number Mive

The Labour group leader says they will make a formal complaint, and apparently the other parties have condemned the decision as well.

You can view the full (four hour) meeting here: https://yorkmix.com/u-turn-by-officers-who-tried-to-stop-two-york-councillors-with-disabilities-speaking-in-debate/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

'No-one can be trusted to make objective decisions on issues personally affecting them' is a head-turner of a first principle isn't it?