Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember that new thing? Well it was nearly 20 or 30 years ago.

Started by Replies From View, July 25, 2021, 11:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Remember that brand new Jungle Book 2 that you haven't seen?

Well it was nearly 20 years ago.

flotemysost

My dad has a habit of referring to stuff that happened in the 90s as "a couple of years ago". To which I always promptly correct him that it was in fact 10 years ago.

Poobum

Amazing that the film Jurassic Park is closer in time to T-Rex than now, where there is no T-Rex :o

Icehaven

flotemysost

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on July 25, 2021, 12:02:41 PM
Danny Dyer trials "more refined" Twitter persona.

Heheheh.

I have just booked a nice spa day for the 20th anniversary. Realised it was the 20th anniversary as the receptionist was listing the available dates when I could use my voucher. Sorry lads but I'm time-poor here.

Butchers Blind

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 25, 2021, 12:09:48 PM
Heheheh.

I have just booked a nice spa day for the 20th anniversary. Realised it was the 20th anniversary as the receptionist was listing the available dates when I could use my voucher. Sorry lads but I'm time-poor here.

I got cheapo flights to New York a few years back that were 30% less than the others and I was skint so yes please. Turns out it was the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and the Americans were shit scared of a tribute act showing up.

To save 200 quid I'll take my chances.

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on July 25, 2021, 11:59:12 AM
Just realised 9\11 was 20 years ago soon.

Apparently Hasbro will be offering a 2 for 1 promotion on Jenga for the occasion.

Icehaven

mothman

Channel 4 will be starting their 9/11 season soon then. They've let it slide these last few years, but they'll find the twentieth impossible to resist.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2021, 12:53:34 PM
Channel 4 will be starting their 9/11 season soon then. They've let it slide these last few years, but they'll find the twentieth impossible to resist.

I'm hoping for a themed exhibition in Longleat.

JamesTC

idunnosomename

ALF debuts: 22 September, 1986

9 years, 16 days

ALF returns - in Pog form: 8 October, 1995

25 years, 9 months, 18 days

This post

Retinend

Quote from: flotemysost on July 25, 2021, 11:52:58 AM
My dad has a habit of referring to stuff that happened in the 90s as "a couple of years ago". To which I always promptly correct him that it was in fact 10 years ago.

Very drole.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Butchers Blind

Don't forget, next year marks 25 years since Diana had that car accident. Start planning your street parties.

Catalogue Trousers

Do you remember rock 'n' roll stars, who knew how to play their guitars?

JamesTC

Jock Macabre

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2021, 11:50:09 AM
Remember that brand new Jungle Book 2 that you haven't seen?

Well it was nearly 20 years ago.

OMGzzzzz...I feel so old despite being aware of my age, my age not being overtly high and 20 years being a relatively short period of time in the context of the human experience. Probably shouldn't feel like that, but I have an IQ of 85 and feeling old is the only legally mandated response to posts like this, apparently

Icehaven

I'm still having massive trouble accepting that the old Top of the Pops episodes currently showing on BBC4 are 30 years old. They're the same amount of time from now as the 60s were from then.
The look of things hasn't changed as much as it used to over the last few decades though. I just started watching Arrested Development and it was only when a child Michael Cera appeared that I realised it was made 18 years ago.

pigamus

My youngest daughter (21) was freaking out this morning because she was in conversation with her friend's younger sister (12) and discovered she'd never heard of Hannah Montana.

mothman

I've said this before, but I don't know what surprised me more: that my eldest really likes the Arctic Monkeys (who first became big the year she was born, 2005), or that very few of her contemporaries have even heard of them.

Rizla

Isn't the issue really that our economy, and our culture with it, has been stagnant for so long that time seems to have crawled to a standstill? I bought a fudge recently and couldn't work out whether to be surprised at the price or not. And yet I still sang the jingle in my head. Why has there not been a new fudge jingle?

When did Alpen lose its crown as king of the mueslis? Dorset Farms, whoosh, out of nowhere.

Quote from: icehaven on July 25, 2021, 02:42:05 PM
The look of things hasn't changed as much as it used to over the last few decades though.

I think this is a big part of it - since the late 90s or so a lot of things just seem to have 'plateaued' or run out of ways to develop without just rehashing the past. And things like film production just reached a kind of slickness and glossiness 20 or more years ago that stuff from a decade or two ago doesn't really look dated in the way it once did.

It seems that you could probably still walk around wearing clothes that you'd bought in, say 2008 or 2009 without sticking out too much, whereas someone in, say, 1991, wearing stuff from 1978 or 1979 would've stuck out like a sore thumb as something from a completely different era.

bomb_dog

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 25, 2021, 03:09:24 PMIt seems that you could probably still walk around wearing clothes that you'd bought in, say 2008 or 2009 without sticking out too much

I can confirm this as a fact. Well, I didn't stick out more than I usually do.

Blumf

Justin Lee Collins' Bring Back... Grange Hill was 16 years ago. We are still not far enough into the future.

Video Game Fan 2000

The internet has turned everything into a microgenre churn and rediscovering stuff is easier and more fractal. There are a few cultural touchstones like bebop, postpunk, house, golden age hiphop, nouvelle vague, etc that come back around every five years or so but there is less of a need for young people to rediscover one particular cultural moment and go all in emulating on it.

That and the end of history was correct insofar as liberal hegemony has made it socially unacceptable or just tin-eared and weird to say "this is how things should be" about aesthetic subjects instead of its all just a matter of taste in it I just have me own likes and dislikes. Which doesn't lend itself to distinct epochs and eras, or subcultures.

Icehaven

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 25, 2021, 03:09:24 PM
I think this is a big part of it - since the late 90s or so a lot of things just seem to have 'plateaued' or run out of ways to develop without just rehashing the past. And things like film production just reached a kind of slickness and glossiness 20 or more years ago that stuff from a decade or two ago doesn't really look dated in the way it once did.

It seems that you could probably still walk around wearing clothes that you'd bought in, say 2008 or 2009 without sticking out too much, whereas someone in, say, 1991, wearing stuff from 1978 or 1979 would've stuck out like a sore thumb as something from a completely different era.

Yep exactly. That combined with how some 80s and 90s fashions have been 'in' for a while now means it's all got a bit mixed up as well.