Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember that new thing? Well it was nearly 20 or 30 years ago.

Started by Replies From View, July 25, 2021, 11:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 28, 2021, 12:54:17 PM
Day Savers were a penny then.

You actually could probably get away with smoking (a reefer) on an empty bus back then. Smoking in pubs was okay for another year.

touchingcloth

It was as tricky then as it still is now to both lay low and do a grand theft auto.

Wet Blanket

I wonder if it becomes harder to delineate between fashion eras once you're old enough to appreciate the overlap and also not be too bothered about what's current. It's perhaps been a bit more subtle compared to the wild fashions of the 70s and 80s, but modern teenagers definitely dress differently to their equivalents 10 or 20 years ago.

Youngsters are definitely more attuned to the differences between now and twenty years ago than I am. See YouTube clips of bands from about 2005 with comments underneath along the lines of 'I love this classic music, wish it was like this now' and the apparent fetishisation of cassette tapes among some camps.

My own major new thing that was ages ago blindspot is Opal Fruits becoming Starbursts. I thought that happened about a decade ago tops, but it was 1997.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 28, 2021, 02:00:45 PM
I wonder if it becomes harder to delineate between fashion eras once you're old enough to appreciate the overlap and also not be too bothered about what's current. It's perhaps been a bit more subtle compared to the wild fashions of the 70s and 80s, but modern teenagers definitely dress differently to their equivalents 10 or 20 years ago.

Absolutely. I remarked to my other half that M&S' fits were getting quite modern and trendy and that they were risking pissing off the middle-aged men by trying to attract "the kids", but in reality they'd simply started trying to appeal to a new generation of middle aged men who'd grown up in the 80s and 90s. Men like me.

I verified this by walking into Primark and becoming immediately aware that their menswear section looked exactly like the boys section, but with bigger sizes, more suits and less Minecraft t-shirts.

flotemysost

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 28, 2021, 02:00:45 PM
It's perhaps been a bit more subtle compared to the wild fashions of the 70s and 80s, but modern teenagers definitely dress differently to their equivalents 10 or 20 years ago.

See, given that "00s/Y2K" fashion has been pretty big for a while, I'd say contemporary teenagers actually dress pretty much exactly as I and my peers did 15-20 years ago, except their looks are carefully curated vintage, whereas mine was just whatever was on the rack at Tammy Girl or Topshop or wherever. (Also they have far better makeup skills, and generally aren't carrying round the same levels of self-loathing and repression, probably.)

I remember noticing about 10 years ago that 90s grungey fashions seemed to be making a comeback, so stands to reason that it'd cycle through to the next era.

purlieu

Yeah, nu metal super-baggy jeans are, sadly, back in fashion again.

touchingcloth

Quote from: flotemysost on July 29, 2021, 10:10:21 AM
(Also they have far better makeup skills, and generally aren't carrying round the same levels of self-loathing and repression, probably.)

This. Social media is famously helpful for improving people's self esteem.

imitationleather

I see loads of kids who dress like they're going to an early '90s rave, but my missus is insistent that they don't listen to the music or take drugs anymore.

Paul Calf

Grime. Grime and UK Garage was almost a quarter of a century ago.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 29, 2021, 11:25:14 AM

It's 15 years since A Life of Grime was last on our screens.

flotemysost

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 29, 2021, 11:11:19 AM
This. Social media is famously helpful for improving people's self esteem.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, so apologies if we're on the same page, but I'd argue that social media probably has really helped a lot of contemporary teenagers/young people with their self-esteem and sense of identity. It's not like I didn't have social media as a teenager - MySpace and Facebook - but I have to admit I'm more than a bit jealous of how much more informed and open-minded many younger people are about things like misogyny, consent, race, queerness, gender identity etc. than I was at that age, and a lot of that discourse does happen on platforms like TikTok and Instagram.

Of course that's largely down to shifting social attitudes, and I know it's never too late - I'm not on TikTok, but there are lots of Instagram accounts which I find really helpful for learning (and un-learning!) stuff - but I really do wish I'd had that (or some sort of similar resource) when I was growing up. But I'm not saying that social media doesn't have the potential to be incredibly damaging too, obviously, I think everyone knows that though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 29, 2021, 11:25:14 AM

Garage sort of seems to be coming back though with things like 'future garage'.

Grime evolved into 'drill' I think.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 29, 2021, 12:09:18 PM
Garage sort of seems to be coming back though with things like 'future garage'.

I could never get to grips with what future garage actually was and the peak interest itself pertinent to this thread was nearly ten years ago.

In my mind I think I thought of it as artists like Burial etc.

touchingcloth

Quote from: flotemysost on July 29, 2021, 12:07:16 PM
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, so apologies if we're on the same page, but I'd argue that social media probably has really helped a lot of contemporary teenagers/young people with their self-esteem and sense of identity. It's not like I didn't have social media as a teenager - MySpace and Facebook - but I have to admit I'm more than a bit jealous of how much more informed and open-minded many younger people are about things like misogyny, consent, race, queerness, gender identity etc. than I was at that age, and a lot of that discourse does happen on platforms like TikTok and Instagram.

Of course that's largely down to shifting social attitudes, and I know it's never too late - I'm not on TikTok, but there are lots of Instagram accounts which I find really helpful for learning (and un-learning!) stuff - but I really do wish I'd had that (or some sort of similar resource) when I was growing up. But I'm not saying that social media doesn't have the potential to be incredibly damaging too, obviously, I think everyone knows that though.

I was being mainly sarcastic. I don't use social media myself, but from friends who do - and even more so those with kids older than about toddler age - my impression is that the peer pressure it leads to is an order of magnitude anything I used to have in school before social media was a thing, mainly because there's no way of escaping the judgment of classmates even when you're at home, and as an added bonus you get the judgment of everyone else on the internet.

I couldn't say whether that's balanced out and negated by the kinds of positives you've mentioned, so I'll just say things are different than when I was a kid. Maybe better, maybe worse, definitely not the same.

gilbertharding

As a Gen-X, I'm here to say that social media has ruined my self esteem (such as it was) - if it's not hate-scrolling twitter to see how awful strangers are, I'm stalking former friends on facebook or linkedin so I can hate them more too. But, yeah - useful DIY tips on youtube etc.

JaDanketies

Maybe one for the Pop Punk thread, but the song Diamonds and Guns by The Transplants - the supergroup including a bunch of Rancid and the Blink 182 drummer, and the song that ended up on a shampoo advert - feels like a bit of a latter-day addition to the genre. But at the end of it, the rapper reminds you that the song actually came out in 2002. And then he mocks your surprise, and laughs at you for being old.

QuoteYo, representin no doubt
2002 baby transplants
WHAT! HA HA HA!

touchingcloth

What genre is your song Diamonds and Guns, Travis?

Most of them.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 30, 2021, 07:27:55 PM
What genre is your song Diamonds and Guns, Travis?

yes.

Fixed it for you. That was what passed for entertainment in 2021.

wrec

Speaking of Minecraft - for a while I was confused why kids seemed to be suddenly obsessed with ancient PC game Minesweeper until I realised it was a different thing altogether.

touchingcloth

The Hundred Years' War was more than a hundred years ago now.

willbo

there's as much time between now and when we all learned about the Battle of Hastings at school, as between then and the Battle of Hastings itself.

touchingcloth

willbo

There's as much time between now and the first season of "Angry Video Game Nerd", as between then and Alan Turing's invention of the computer.

Icehaven

Just reading an interview with Charlotte Richie and they're talking about Fresh Meat;

QuoteShe went on a Monday to read for the part of Oregon, a poster-girl for student-activist pretension; she got the job that day, packed up her house in Bristol and moved to Manchester to start work the next morning. The cast have been in touch with each other a lot recently. "We had a 10-year anniversary. I think it was May when we joined the show.

Bloody hell.