Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember that new thing? Well it was nearly 20 or 30 years ago.

Started by Replies From View, July 25, 2021, 11:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

On the fashion front, my chosen day-to-day wear of straight-legged (actually tapered) jeans, t-shirts, an array of relatively plain unadorned tops (long-sleeved t-shirts, etc.) and (usually Chelsea) boots has been largely unchanged since the nineties and you'd probably have to go back to the seventies before it'd look really anachronistic.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 25, 2021, 10:36:36 PM
Want to feel old? The Blair Witch Project seems recent, right, but it was released 22 years ago. An equal amount of time before that, Star Wars was released. One more equivalent time hop? The death of Albert Einstein in 1955.

Let that sink in.

And one more jump before that and Hitler came to power, and we've Godwinned the thread!

zomgmouse

IF THEY MADE BACK TO THE FUTURE NOW THEY'D BE GOING BACK TO 1991

IF THEY MADE THAT 70S SHOW NOW IT WOULD BE THAT 90S SHOW

Mr Banlon

Some 'new' Minis can now be insured cheaply as 'classic cars' because they're 20 years old

poodlefaker

When I was at secondary school in the early 80s there were a lot of teachers still wearing 70s clothes - suits with flared trousers and wide lapels, brown leather jackets with belts etc. We thought they looked ridiculous, but that gear could have been only 5 or 6 years old. If you were a young-ish teacher in 1977 spending quite a lot of your wages on a cool leather jacket to wear for work, you'd expect to get about 10 year's wear out of it, I guess. You wouldn't expect popular fashion to have changed completely in that time.
Are today's kids laughing at teachers who wear suits from 2015?

idunnosomename

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 26, 2021, 10:01:58 AM
probably. little cunts will laugh at anything

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 26, 2021, 02:58:57 AM
Some 'new' Minis can now be insured cheaply as 'classic cars' because they're 20 years old

The new Mini was one of the first tastes we had of gammon getting disproportionately furious that an outdated relic they otherwise had no real interest in was changing to suit the modern world. They're still sending abusive replies to ads on social media even now.

Jockice

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 26, 2021, 10:01:58 AM
When I was at secondary school in the early 80s there were a lot of teachers still wearing 70s clothes - suits with flared trousers and wide lapels, brown leather jackets with belts etc. We thought they looked ridiculous, but that gear could have been only 5 or 6 years old. If you were a young-ish teacher in 1977 spending quite a lot of your wages on a cool leather jacket to wear for work, you'd expect to get about 10 year's wear out of it, I guess. You wouldn't expect popular fashion to have changed completely in that time.

At my secondary school there was a teacher who became known as Lionel Blair because of the width of his trousers. I was there when the nickname was coined. I was quite amused when at a party around ten years after I left I ended up talking to a schoolmate's younger sister who went there and discovered it was still his nickname.

The thing is between me leaving and that conversation we'd been through the whole Madchester thing so I'd like to think that he'd been quite trendy for a while. Bobby Birkett, the rave king.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I remember my English teacher advising us schoolkids types to avoid using slang words like " fab" in our writing. In the year 1981. We all took the piss ( behind his back, 'Cos we all quite liked him, really), but didn't give him a nickname for it.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 26, 2021, 11:18:49 AM
I remember my English teacher advising us schoolkids types to avoid using slang words like " fab" in our writing. In the year 1981. We all took the piss ( behind his back, 'Cos we all quite liked him, really), but didn't give him a nickname for it.

I remember in the early 80s a relation of mine saying that his games teacher once said: "Okay you dudes, freak out,'' and they found it so amusing and archaic that it became a catchphrase in the school. Mr Hoey (I remember the name because one of my big teenage crushes had the same surname) probably thought he was being really hip and trendy too.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 25, 2021, 03:09:24 PM
It seems that you could probably still walk around wearing clothes that you'd bought in, say 2008 or 2009 without sticking out too much.

I realise that Jeremy Clarkson and his acolytes are not and never were fashion forward, but if you happen to see a 10 year old episode of Top Gear, the ridiculous trousers give it away instantly. Boot cut jeans.

JamesTC

My aunt criticised me the other day for wearing a shirt she bought me 10 years ago.

turnstyle

I still consider albums made by long standing artists in the last 20 years as 'their new stuff'.

'I liked that newer Beck album, Geuro'

'Turnstyle, that came out 16 years ago, you old fuck'

Blue Jam

Luke Perry, Dustin Diamond and Dieter Brummer are all dead. I'm sure I was only watching them on telly after school about five minutes ago.

Blue Jam

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 26, 2021, 12:53:49 PM
I realise that Jeremy Clarkson and his acolytes are not and never were fashion forward, but if you happen to see a 10 year old episode of Top Gear, the ridiculous trousers give it away instantly. Boot cut jeans.

I've seen absolutely loads of boot cut jeans and trousers in shops lately. Mainly on the Sale rail. The boot cut may be the most flattering cut ever but it's so tied to the 90's that even the current 90's revival we're having won't make it seem cool again.

purlieu

Quote from: icehaven on July 25, 2021, 03:50:14 PM
Yep exactly. That combined with how some 80s and 90s fashions have been 'in' for a while now means it's all got a bit mixed up as well.
The thing I've noticed with this is most trends and styles of this century don't seem to have gone 'out' of fashion. The whole '80s revival' thing was apparently around in the early '00s, and it's still informing music production, fashion, references in film and TV, etc. Looser fitting trousers and jeans started being fashionable again about eight or nine years ago with the rise of 'mom jeans', and yet skinny jeans are still almost as popular as they were then. People are comfortable owning skinny jeans and flares. The 1975 put out albums with them doing homages of '70s soft rock, Tears for Fears and UK Garage. Various bits of the past are being regurgitated in the usual cyclical manner, but they're not disappearing in the same way, it's just all turning into an increasingly complex everything stew.
Which, in some ways, is good. It means there's inherently less snobbishness.

chveik

The person who won gold in the Olympic skateboarding is 13 years old (seriously). Which I guess means they were born in 2008. When The Ting Tings were number one in the charts with That's Not My Name.

EDIT: I initially said they won a lesser medal.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on July 26, 2021, 12:28:10 AM
On the fashion front, my chosen day-to-day wear of straight-legged (actually tapered) jeans, t-shirts, an array of relatively plain unadorned tops (long-sleeved t-shirts, etc.) and (usually Chelsea) boots has been largely unchanged since the nineties

I bet it's subtly changed.  When you see the 1990s portions of Goodnight Sweetheart, something stands out about the clothes even though there's nothing specific you can put your finger on.  I was wearing the clothes I bought in the late 90s until around 2011, and looking back at Goodnight Sweetheart now I'm pretty sure I must have stood out as mildly anachronistic.

Thomas

Quote from: turnstyle on July 26, 2021, 04:54:17 PM
I still consider albums made by long standing artists in the last 20 years as 'their new stuff'.

'I liked that newer Beck album, Geuro'

'Turnstyle, that came out 16 years ago, you old fuck'

Bowie's new drum'n'bass stuff is a bit iffy.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 26, 2021, 07:41:35 PM
The person who won gold in the Olympic skateboarding is 13 years old (seriously). Which I guess means they were born in 2008. When The Ting Tings were number one in the charts with That's Not My Name.

EDIT: I initially said they won a lesser medal.

Presumably one where you peel off the foil and there's chocolate inside?

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on July 26, 2021, 08:05:31 PM
I bet it's subtly changed.  When you see the 1990s portions of Goodnight Sweetheart, something stands out about the clothes even though there's nothing specific you can put your finger on.  I was wearing the clothes I bought in the late 90s until around 2011, and looking back at Goodnight Sweetheart now I'm pretty sure I must have stood out as mildly anachronistic.

Yeah but turn it around, a person from that time would probably not be able to identify quite what was "off" about our outfits.

I think people tend to fixate in the more extreme examples of any given era's fashions. Not everyone in the 1970s had lank overlong greasy hair and skin, sideburns, kipper ties, flares and tank tops/pullovers/sweater vests/whatever you prefer to call them. Though it sure looks like it in old file footage...

Replies From View

Well there's a kind of background atmosphere that you don't notice at the time.  Clothes fashion, traffic and so on are like wallpaper that you tune out of because it's so ubiquitous and unremarkable - it's just there and you don't even notice it changing because it's at such a glacial pace.  But look back at photos of streets from 1999 and lo and behold the traffic all looks ancient.  Go back ten more years and suddenly there's more cars from previous decades on the roads as well - a far greater range of what would soon be called 'classic cars' just being basic 'traffic'.

I suppose clothes fashion is slightly different to traffic in the sense that it's changes are engineered to make people update their wardrobes more than clothes wear-and-tear would deem necessary, but still it applies when you think of the barely noticeable shift in clothing from around 1995 to now.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2021, 08:09:34 PM
Bowie's new drum'n'bass stuff is a bit iffy.

My local pub has The Best Of Bowie among the albums they play on shuffle, which means I occasionally hear Hallo Spaceboy or Little Wonder or I'm Afraid Of Americans when I'm in there. And it always makes me smile... Got a bit of a soft spot for Bowie's ill-advised 90's Doug Rocket phase, I must confess. It's probably nostalgia, which would be understandable given that it was over 20 years ago.

...and yes, I know Doug Rocket was based on Dave Stewart, but just look at him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on July 26, 2021, 08:38:39 PM
Well there's a kind of background atmosphere that you don't notice at the time.  Clothes fashion, traffic and so on are like wallpaper that you tune out of because it's so ubiquitous and unremarkable - it's just there and you don't even notice it changing because it's at such a glacial pace.  But look back at photos of streets from 1999 and lo and behold the traffic all looks ancient.  Go back ten more years and suddenly there's more cars from previous decades on the roads as well - a far greater range of what would soon be called 'classic cars' just being basic 'traffic'.

I suppose clothes fashion is slightly different to traffic in the sense that it's changes are engineered to make people update their wardrobes more than clothes wear-and-tear would deem necessary, but still it applies when you think of the barely noticeable shift in clothing from around 1995 to now.

Yeah I get what you mean. But (again, sorry) by the same logic would anyone necessarily notice someone dressed slightly but not outlandishly different, if they're used to tuning such stuff out?

Which reminds me of this photo, aka the time-travelling hipster, from 1941:

QuoteA photograph from 1941 of genuine authenticity of the re-opening of the South Fork Bridge in Gold Bridge, British Columbia was alleged to show a time traveler. It was claimed that his clothing and sunglasses were of the present day and not of the styles worn in the 40s.

Further research suggested that the present day appearance of the man may not have been so new. The style of sunglasses first appeared in the 1920s. On first glance the man is taken by many to be wearing a printed T-shirt, but on closer inspection it seems to be a sweater with a sewn-on emblem, the kind of clothing often worn by sports teams of the period. The shirt is very similar to the one that was used by the Montreal Maroons, an ice hockey team from that era. The remainder of his clothing would appear to have been available at the time, though his clothes are far more casual than those worn by the other individuals in the photograph.[6]

Debate centres on whether the image genuinely shows a time traveller, has been photoshopped or is simply being mistaken as anachronistic. The "Time Traveling Hipster" became a case study in viral Internet phenomena in museums which was presented at the Museums and the Web 2011 conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Thomas

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 26, 2021, 09:05:21 PM
My local pub has The Best Of Bowie among the albums they play on shuffle, which means I occasionally hear Hallo Spaceboy or Little Wonder or I'm Afraid Of Americans when I'm in there. And it always makes me smile... Got a bit of a soft spot for Bowie's ill-advised 90's Doug Rocket phase, I must confess. It's probably nostalgia, which would be understandable given that it was over 20 years ago.

I'm with you, really - I like those tracks you name, and I've been enjoying Seven Years in Tibet lately. I am 1 in 5 Muslims.

DrGreggles

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on July 26, 2021, 09:11:34 PM
Yeah I get what you mean. But (again, sorry) by the same logic would anyone necessarily notice someone dressed slightly but not outlandishly different, if they're used to tuning such stuff out?

Which reminds me of this photo, aka the time-travelling hipster, from 1941:

Never thought that bloke looked particularly futuristic or out of place in that time personally.   Watch any film from the 30s and 40s that isn't a noir (cos even the shitbags in noirs wear full suits) featuring "delinquents", "ne'er do wells" or college sporting types and you'll see lots of that sort of fashion.  Hoodies too - Harold Lloyd wears a hoodie in one of his films (can't remember which one).

Just like that fucking Solway Spaceman photo - I've only ever seen the back of someone very human, even before it was properly confirmed when the rest of the photos finally got released.

mothman

Yeah, there is plenty of deviation in fashions over time, and some "looks" have been around longer than people realise.

Avril Lavigne

A year from now, the first movie in the new reboot of 'IT' will be as old as Spider-man 3 was when the Tobey Maguire Spider-man movie series was rebooted with Andrew Garfield.

willbo

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 25, 2021, 11:33:55 PM
Did people always do this? I feel like if I'd have said to my mum when I was a kid "remember that Billy Fury song you liked? That was 30 years ago!" she's have said "yes, I know".

no, I think this feeling is new to us as a result of the culture standstill. My parents in the 90s seemed to have no problem seeing ABBA or Elton John as "older music". The clothes were different, the videos looked different to anything that would exist then, they had bought CDs after getting rid of old records.

willbo

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 26, 2021, 10:13:48 PM
Paedogeddon was 20 years ago today.

are they ready yet?

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on July 26, 2021, 10:31:41 PM
A year from now, the first movie in the new reboot of 'IT' will be as old as Spider-man 3 was when the Tobey Maguire Spider-man movie series was rebooted with Andrew Garfield.

reboots are happening very fast now to be fair. I mean look at Batman and the short times between Bale Affleck and Pattinson.

I always think that emo/punk/metalcore teenagers have been wearing the same thing for 15 years. They seem to always have the same black jeans, black hoodie and bright pink neon accessories kids had in 2005. Even Will Self remarked on how old the "nu" metal bands his son likes looked when he wrote about Reading Festival.