Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:09:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the fuck is going on with Mark Steel?

Started by KennyMonster, July 25, 2021, 01:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyMonster

This isn't about him being very lukewarm on Corbyn in 2019 or defending Piers Morgan fucker Marina Hyde on Twitter, but its actually the title of his new podcast
(more accurately "What The Fuck Is Going On? with Mark Steel").

Sarah Alexander and Peter Serfanowicz contribute, as does his fledgling stand-up son Elliot, plus a guest or two each week, females comedians Issy Suttie, Kerry Godliman and Angela Barnes amongst others.

*Owen Jones Klaxon*

I'm 4 episodes in, I think its alright so far.

anyone else listening?

Sebastian Cobb

Nah I saw he was making one but decided I couldn't really be bothered largely because of the reasons listed in the first sentence of your post (and the most recent bit of stand up I saw of his being a bit of a bitter/half arsed show about his wife leaving him).

To be fair that looks like a decent supporting cast so I might give it a go now.

Fambo Number Mive

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware he was doing a new podcast. Found it on Spotify so will try to have a listen in the next couple of weeks.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 25, 2021, 01:42:10 PM
Nah I saw he was making one but decided I couldn't really be bothered largely because of the reasons listed in the first sentence of your post (and the most recent bit of stand up I saw of his being a bit of a bitter/half arsed show about his wife leaving him).

To be fair that looks like a decent supporting cast so I might give it a go now.

I quite liked Kerry Godliman on it (I thought she was an OK person on Taskmaster and she went up in my estimations after listening to her on this, that's all I know from her so far though, I haven't seen the programme where she dresses up as Rick Gervais to have a swim).

KennyMonster

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: KennyMonster on July 25, 2021, 01:47:48 PM
I quite liked Kerry Godliman on it (I thought she was an OK person on Taskmaster and she went up in my estimations after listening to her on this, that's all I know from her so far though, I haven't seen the programme where she dresses up as Rick Gervais to have a swim).

She was alright on Do the Right Thing as well.

Pink Gregory

Really enjoyed going back over the Mark Steel Lectures the other year.  Shame he's melted a bit.

Famous Mortimer

It's always a shame to see someone with such good instincts lose them.

Steel always seemed a bit of a narcissist and his only mode of argument seemed to be facile comparison ("it's as if a bloke came up to you and said...")

KennyMonster

Having yesterday binged on all episodes available so far, I have to say its a bit 'meh'

It does seem to pull some punches, probably because hard-leftist-Steel did let us down over the last couple of years and is now one of those saying 'why is Boris allowed to get away with this and why is Starmer so lame?'

Much better Podcasts are Alexei Sayle's and also the new season of Mark Thomas's podcast is good, not really a humorous one but he does get some good interviews and gives a voice to plenty of 'key workers', and gets their view on the pandemic and how they got treated throughout.