Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mandibles (2021, Quentin Dupieux's new film)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 25, 2021, 06:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The latest from Dupieux (who I'm extremely fond of, and have rambled on about here in the past: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,55707.msg2940878.html#msg2940878) this is another unusual comedy, where Jean-Gab (David Marsais) and Manu (Grégoire Ludig) are kind of skeezy guys, taking advantage of others and committing petty crimes, but when Manu steals a car they soon discover a very, very large fly in the trunk.
Spoiler alert
What's quite unexpected is how minor an aspect of the film this then is, Jean-Gab decides he wants to train it so that they can get it to steal for them, but most of the time it's them travelling around as if this was a very low key road trip movie, and one where they stay at the house of a woman who mistakes Manu for an old school friend for a big chunk of the film. I did like it and it's gently funny, but
[close]
it's not up with there with Dupieux's best and I only found it mildly amusing. 6.8/10

privatefriend

Bit weird that Deerskin only just came out in cinemas here. The often years long lag between initial newspaper reviews, then the festival circuit, then the limited cinema release, then streaming (not that covid helped of course) is frustrating. Quite liked Deerskin in the end, one particularly good
Spoiler alert
head stabbing
[close]
scene.

greenman

Curzon seem to have become much less active with releases recently which doesnt help.

zomgmouse

I've been looking forward to this for ages! Where did you see it?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 26, 2021, 12:13:42 AM
I've been looking forward to this for ages! Where did you see it?

It was via CinemaZ, if you're not a member let me know and I'll put it up somewhere.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2021, 09:08:53 AM
It was via CinemaZ, if you're not a member let me know and I'll put it up somewhere.

Alas I am not but would be incredibly grateful if you could!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 26, 2021, 09:22:35 AM
Alas I am not but would be incredibly grateful if you could!

Just sent you a link now, and if anyone else wants to see it, just pm me.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2021, 05:39:40 PM
Just sent you a link now, and if anyone else wants to see it, just pm me.

Many many thanks!

zomgmouse

Just watched this - really enjoyed the chemistry between the two leads and the giant fly but it all felt a bit slight for my liking, I feel like Dupieux could have taken this bumbling pair and their surreal insect to many other places.