Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dizziness/ vertigo/ labyrinthitis

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 25, 2021, 09:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

On Friday night, I lay on the sofa and immediately felt like it was tipping over. It wasn't, I'd just had a really weird dizzy spell. Since then, it's been almost constant whenever I move my head to a significant degree. It even wakes me up when I turn over in my sleep. It's not just dizziness, it feels like the whole room is shifting or tipping back. My sister thinks it may be due to low blood pressure brought on by dehydration; I'd been out on my bike for a few hours on Friday and it was quite warm. Been drinking plenty of water since then but still getting it ,possibly even getting worse. My mam thinks it could be labyrinthitis which she's had. Anyone else had anything like this? It's fucking weird and pretty unpleasant.

shiftwork2

Might want to get that checked out if it doesn't improve.  Vertigo out of the blue has something like a 20% chance of coming back, which means it's mostly a 'what the fuck was that' that's forgotten.

I had a dizzy spell at the start of last year that lasted an hour or so.  I was walking 'home' and had to stop by the hospital with all the smokers.  I couldn't have walked an inch.  It cleared, and I'd forgotten about it until this thread.

Chollis

Defo sounds like Labyrinthitis. Go to Doctor

Jasha

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 25, 2021, 09:39:51 PM
On Friday night, I lay on the sofa and immediately felt like it was tipping over. It wasn't, I'd just had a really weird dizzy spell. Since then, it's been almost constant whenever I move my head to a significant degree. It even wakes me up when I turn over in my sleep. It's not just dizziness, it feels like the whole room is shifting or tipping back.

Incoming heart attack, probably around Tuesday morning, you might wanna lay off the usual Sunday night with the neighbours knickers wank to be on the safe side

mothman

What causes these? I went through a brief phase of having them when I was 12 or 13. No obvious health concerns at the time. I thought it might have had to do with bedroom ventilation, certainly a walk in the fresh air would eventually clear my head.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Jasha on July 25, 2021, 09:52:00 PM
Incoming heart attack, probably around Tuesday morning, you might wanna lay off the usual Sunday night with the neighbours knickers wank to be on the safe side

There was just a pair of man's boxer shorts on her line today. They had lots of pictures of McDonalds-style cartons of fries on them which seemed a bit odd. I'd go for a chunky chip if I had pictures on my pants.

holyzombiejesus

Has anyone had labyrinthitis? It says that it can be caused by an infection of the inner area; I'm wondering if you'd be aware of that if you had it?

Mr_Simnock

I had labyrinthitis once, dressed up as an elf king and tried to marry a 15 year old

Ferris

I had several spells of dizziness about 18 months ago - every bloke on my mum's side of the family died of aggressive brain cancer about my age so I had a slight panic. Did a few epley manoeuvres and felt better but still a bit of a mess.

I went to see a doctor - seems to have been entirely stress-driven by the shitty job I used to work. After those attacks and the disorientation, I checked out of my job and resolved to quit and did the bare minimum. Mugged them off for a full years salary, the cunts.

Touch wood I haven't had anything since, and I reckon I'm alright brain-wise but who knows.

JamesTC

I've had a bit of dizziness when standing up this week. I'm imagining this is from not enough salt due to running in the heat. I've felt much better this weekend as it has gotten cooler and I have increased my salt intake.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chollis on July 25, 2021, 09:50:34 PM
Defo sounds like Labyrinthitis. Go to Doctor

Yep horrible stuff. Does it make you want to vomit?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 25, 2021, 10:01:30 PM
Has anyone had labyrinthitis? It says that it can be caused by an infection of the inner area; I'm wondering if you'd be aware of that if you had it?

I had like a tipping feeling the evening before and woke up in the morning with full on vertigo. Crawling for about 30 minutes to a) toilet to wretch, b) phone (disconnected) c) outside in my underwear to try and alert neighbours for help d) back to try and plug phone in in my idiot housemates room e) bed for 8 hours until help arrived. Took a few days to get sorted. It is an inner ear viral infection and it can reappear. My friend's wife gets it on occasion!

BlodwynPig

I think it was caused by rats. Lots of rats in the building in Glasgow where i lived

Blinder Data

my wife has suffered from this. it sounds horrible. in her case i think it was often brought on by work-related stress.

unfortunately i don't remember there being much of a cure. she just had to wait it out :(

best of luck

Kankurette

I get it from time to time, it's shit. The room feels like it's moving.

Dex Sawash

I had this about 10 years ago, went to doctor who sent me home with diagnosis of allergies.
Felt cheated out of a proper disease but loratidine sorted it right out. Has been back a few times since.

PlanktonSideburns

Disappointing lack of David Bowie pictures in this thread

Endicott

Alberon

I did have a bit of Labyrinthitis a couple of years back. It was worst when I laid down or turned over. My eyes were flicking up and down as I tried to relate the conflicting information from my inner ear and my vision. And it'd feel like the bed was flipping over and over. I was okay if I kept my head upright and level, but if I'd tried to quickly turn my head I'd end up on the floor. Luckily no vomiting or nausea though.

Went to the doctor and they said it was probably an inner ear infection and it should clear up in a day or two and come back if it doesn't. And it did clear up.

holyzombiejesus

I've worked out what I have. It's something called BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) and was likely brought on by riding my rattly bike over some cobbles. There's a diagnostic test you can take which sent my eyes flashing all over the place and now I have to do something called the Epley Manoeuvre. If you imagine having one of those little handheld maze games with a silver bearing in it, implanted in your head, and you have to try and guide the ball just using head movements, well that's what I have to do. I did it a couple of days ago and it was incredible how much better i felt but that's supposed to sort it and it hasn't, it keeps coming back. At least I have a diagnosis though.

Buelligan

An tSaoi

Try the Epley maneuver. There's a hundred videos about it, here's a random one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTnV3m4bWDg

Doing this every morning cured me.

When my doctor started talking about "crystals" in my ear it sounded like new age woo, but it's a real thing.

Edit: I've just noticed that FerriswheelBueller already mentioned it.
Edit 2: And the OP as well. Fuck me.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 02, 2021, 02:03:26 PM
Try the Epley maneuver. There's a hundred videos about it, here's a random one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTnV3m4bWDg

Doing this every morning cured me.

How long did it take to cure it? I did it on Saturday and felt much better all day (although still felt very light-headed) but woke up on Sunday with the horrible lurching again. Thinking of going to a physio as my local health centre is appalling.

An tSaoi

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 02, 2021, 02:19:24 PM
How long did it take to cure it? I did it on Saturday and felt much better all day (although still felt very light-headed) but woke up on Sunday with the horrible lurching again.

I did it every day for a week, and the symptoms went away every time. I thought, "Great success!" so I stopped, thinking I was cured, but it came back the same day. Shit. I did it every day for a few more weeks, and had no dizziness at all. "Get in!" Then I stopped again, and it came back again. Fuck.

Initially I thought, "Right, this only works for 24 hours. If I do it, I'm fine, if I don't I'm shite, so I'll just have to do it every morning till I die, like a diabetic with insulin. I can put up with that, it's better than spinning all the time."

So I did it religiously for a couple of months, until I was on holiday, and the change in scenery just made me forget. Different bed, new routine and all that. Broke the habit. I was fine for the rest of the break. Maybe it takes a few weeks or months to "stick". I decided to chance it, and didn't start again when I got home. To my surprise, I've had no problems since. That's probably three or four years ago. Actually I had one dizzy day in the meantime, after tumbling down a hill, so did the maneuver, and was fine after that. Apart from that, I haven't done it since.

Maybe "cured" seems like the wrong word. Maybe it just went away on it own. Maybe doing on a plane did something. But I had been getting dizzy spells every day for a solid two years, and occasional spells for years before that. I used to fall over in the street. I couldn't drive. Various meds did nothing. In the end, the Epley maneuver was the only thing I did, and the only thing that worked, initially on a very short-term basis, and subsequently on a near-permanent basis (don't want to speak too soon of course).

An tSaoi

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 02, 2021, 12:35:04 PM
It's something called BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo)

Nothing fucking benign about it!

It seems that you're already responding positively to the maneuver. Worst case scenario, you'll have to do it on an ongoing basis. Better than nothing.

Anyway, your mileage may vary. Best of luck.

Ferris

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 02, 2021, 02:19:24 PM
How long did it take to cure it? I did it on Saturday and felt much better all day (although still felt very light-headed) but woke up on Sunday with the horrible lurching again. Thinking of going to a physio as my local health centre is appalling.

I did it twice a day for 2 weeks I think, then only as needed for a month or so after. Touch wood I've been alright since.