Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Out of this World' (Card trick)

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, August 04, 2005, 01:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Call me stupid, but this explanation of the secret:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_This_World_%28card_trick%29

doesn't seem to make any sense.

The way they describe the trick, it wouldn't work. Unless anyone can explain it better.

Or is it a fake, Mornington Crescent-style 'explanation' to wind up non-magicians?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Isn't this the trick that I already wrote an explanation for you from a while ago in another thread? From that video?
Edit: Yeah, it is. One sec, I'll find the post and video.

Rev

QuoteThe right-hand line will begin with the red marker card (placed at the start), followed by the face-down black cards from the top of the deck, then the black marker card (placed at the side switch), then the face-down red cards from the bottom of the deck. That's (red marker) (black cards) (black marker) (red cards). Although incorrect, it should be apparant that this can be instantly made to appear correct by moving the red marker card from one end of the line to the other, or by reversing the order of all other cards in the line.

Could it be any clearer?

Darrell

...and THAT's a Go Johnny Go Go Go Go!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Rev"Could it be any clearer?
Yes, it's clear as mud.

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"It's this post isn't it? - http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=175899&highlight=video+magic#175899
Or around there anyway. Or am I totally wrong?
I watched the video linked on that page and I can't work it out.

The decks supposed to be rigged with all the colours seperated out, and yet he's dealing them all from the top of the deck, so I can't work out how it's done.

JesusAndYourBush

EDIT: Ah never mind, it was obvious when I watched the video and then went and read the wikipedia page again.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I just don't get it: if the deck is stacked so that all the blacks are at the top, what does the magician do if the bloke wants him to put the card on the red pile?

Dusty Gozongas

If you're a serious performer of (or even slightly interested in doing a few) card tricks, you have to get used to the language.  Most of the decent collections of methods I've ever come across have been slightly 'linguisticly' encoded or a bad translation from the original French or sommat.

All you have to start with is the knowledge that the trick will work and the viewer will be fooled. It ain't magick ;)

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"I just don't get it: if the deck is stacked so that all the blacks are at the top, what does the magician do if the bloke wants him to put the card on the red pile?

You know you're being a bad wee punter there... doncha?

ColaCoca

Why don't you just try it with all the card face up so you can see what's going on?  

As an aside all the amateur 'magicians' I've met seem to be a bit Billy-no-mates with a bit of a smarmy, 'I know something you don't know' attitude, has anyone else noticed this?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

From what I can tell, you'd just end up with two piles of cards, half of which are upside-down and  wrong.

I mean, you deal each card before you say 'Do you reckon it's red or black, sir?', is that right? So how does it work? The secret doesn't fit the trick.

ColaCoca

Try it and see.  The first 24 cards dealt will all be black, the second 24 will be red, they are automatically sorted so as long as you gather them up in the right order they'll still be correct afterwards I think.  It would be even easier if you didn't bother with marker cards but just dealt four piles and said which one should be black and red, then pick them up in the right order.

Duffy

Here's how I used to do that trick when I were a spotty wee lad:

The deck is rigged, with all black cards at the top and all red cards at the bottom. The magician sits on a table opposite the volunteer. He then reaches into the deck and takes out two cards, one black, one red, to act as guides. He puts the black card on the volunteer's side and the red card on his.

He then instructs the volunteer to deal the cards, face down, in two piles from left to right: the cards he thinks are red on the red guide card, and the cards he thinks are black on the black guide card.

The magician has to concentrate on how many cards are dealt. After the 24th card is dealt, he asks the dealer to stop and takes the remainder of the pack off him. There will be one black card left in the deck; all the rest are red. The magician takes two more guide cards from the deck, and this time puts them the other way around, i.e. the red card on the volunteer's side, and the black card on his. He then gives the deck back to the volunteer, and asks him to resume.

When completed, the volunteer's side will be 100% correct and the magician's side will be 100% wrong. The magician then asks the volunteer to turn over his cards, and meantime he gathers his side up. This is the tricky part: picking up the cards on your side and swapping them around so that they are correct. However, with a bit of practice, this can be made to look very natural.

When the volunteer turns his cards over: bingo, they're all correct. Then you do the same.

Really produces a reaction, this trick, and it's pretty easy to do. There's apparently another version, when the volunteer gets to shuffle the deck beforehand, but I don't know how that's done.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Duffy"
When completed, the volunteer's side will be 100% correct and the magician's side will be 100% wrong.

Both of you will have 25 red cards and 25 black cards though, won't you? So is the trick the sleight of hand involved in merging the red and blacks together at the end?

Duffy

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Both of you will have 25 red cards and 25 black cards though, won't you? So is the trick the sleight of hand involved in merging the red and blacks together at the end?

Not quite. Don't forget we swapped the guide cards round half way through. So, at the end, the piles of cards will be in this order (all face down unless otherwise noted):

VOLUNTEER:

Black Guide Card (face up), stack of black cards, Red Guide Card (face up), stack of reds [ALL CORRECT]

MAGICIAN:

Red Guide Card (face up), stack of blacks, Black Guide Card (face up), stack of reds. [ALL INCORRECT]

So, while the volunteer picks up his cards, the magician gathers up his in four movements, in such a way that his hand contains them in this order:

Red Guide Card (face up), stack of reds, Black Guide Card (face up), stack of blacks

...before he turns them over.

That, as I said, is the tricky part, but it's not too difficult with practice.

e.g. Pick up the stack of reds, then the Black Guide Card, putting this ON TOP of the reds, then pick up the blacks, put them on top of the deck too, then finally the Red Guide Card and put this at the bottom. Then fan out the cards ready to turn them over.

I've probably made this last bit sound a lot trickier than it is, but try it with the cards in front of you. You should be able to make it look pretty slick after a few tries, and if you do it while the volunteer's busy turning over his cards, the audience will be misdirected anyway.

Run it through by yourself, and don't forget that the volunteer will be facing you when he deals the cards out: i.e. his left-to-right is your right-to-left.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, what he said. Watch the video on this site - http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=659
With the knowledge that the top half of the deck is all the black cards (the shuffle he is using doesn't actually shuffle the deck if you try it yourself). It works, I promise. There's nothing complicated about the trick, the top half of the deck is black, the bottom half is red, it all works out perfectly.
Why don't you take up magic as a little hobby Lalla? You seem to be quite interested in it, asking how loads of tricks are done, why not start trying some of the tricks yourself, just for fun?

Duffy

Sorry, APTS. Didn't read the thread thoroughly enough to see that you'd already posted the secret. And thanks for that video. I like the way he does the trick, keeping it lively and natural and ending it very nicely. Got some good tips just from watching that.

I was in Vegas a couple of years back, and it rekindled my interest in magic as there's loads of magic shops there. Some of those coin tricks are incredibly well manufactured.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah they are, really easy to do as well which makes me a bit irritated at the likes of Blaine who almost base their acts around these simple tricks that anyone with a tenner and knowledge of where the nearest magic shop is can do. I don't really do magic much any more, I did magic and juggling and got into juggling a lot more forgetting about the magic, but I still love it and wouldn't mind taking it up again in a few years. I'd love to go to Vegas, and see Penn and Teller or even Lance Burton in big shiny venues.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"
Why don't you take up magic as a little hobby Lalla? You seem to be quite interested in it, asking how loads of tricks are done, why not start trying some of the tricks yourself, just for fun?

I might give it a go, yeah. But I'm just fascinated by the theory anyway. For me, part of the pleasure of watching magic is finding out how a trick's done afterwards - for some people, that spoils it, but for me it's a double thrill.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, I love that part of it too, finding out all the ingenious methods they use is really interesting for me. Have you got your head around the Out of this World method now? It's fairly simple if you watch the video with the knowledge half the pack is red and half is black.

TotalNightmare

i am a closet magic fan and very amature magician indeed, but i tend to use the gadgetry stuff...

Boxes, coins, tubes, the usual...

But ive never had the patience for card magic. I can do the basic stuff, but when i sat down one month a year ago, i got this huge book about card tricks. It looked like a heavy maths problems book to me. Tons of text and very few diagrams.

Anyway, yea, if anyone knows any more card tricks, share them here. Im quite enjoying having a magic thread.

Dont hate me.

Ps. There is a book called Hiding The Elephant that is one of the most fascinating and enjoyable books about the art of magic that ive ever read. Its also one of the best overall books ive read. Its basically about the art of magic from a mechanical vs showman point of view. The skullduggery behind scenes is also a large chunk of the book. Long story short? Its good.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

In that Penguin video, the trick results in both magician and audience member having half a line of reds and half a line of blacks. This is what confused me, because I thought it resulted in one having all-blacks and one having all-reds. So I wondered at what point the magician did the switch.

He also shuffles the pack in that clip, but in a slightly suspicious, I'm-not-actually-shuffling-it way.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Sorry, me again. Doesn't the trick rest on the audience member picking the same number of reds as blacks? What if he picks mostly blacks, or tries to be clever by only calling black?

A Passing Turk Slipper

The magician is the person who says 'ooh, I think that's about half the deck', when half the deck has come up as he is counting them in his head. It doesn't matter if the volunteer says 5 are black and the rest of that half of the deck are red because when it comes to the end of the trick and the cards are turned over the reds and black will still be separated as they are originally in the prepared deck. It's all about the magician knowing when half the deck has been put down so he can put a couple more face up cards on the two piles and carry on with the dealing. If the audience member chose all black for one half and all red for the other the secret would be revealed as when you turned them over you would see the deck hadn't been shuffled at all. As I said earlier the shuffle he uses only reverses the order of the cards in the deck, it doesn't actually mix it up at all.

Schlippy

Steven

`Out Of This World' is an old trick devised by Paul Curry, and was famous for baffling Winston Churchill when it was performed on him. I agree with Lalla that the traditional version of the trick is rather crap, the magician deals out the cards and has to stop at the half way point and swap the cards around, it takes all the beauty out of the effect. Though the simple twist is rather baffling because of the trick is set-up to visually disorientate you.

Derren Brown has worked out his own version which I think is much better, the spectator gets to shuffle and deal the entire pack themselves into two piles, and all one pile shall be red and the other black, and it's beautifully simple, and far more effective as the magician doesn't have sway over the deck for most of the trick. You can find his working of the trick on the Devil's Picture Book available from his website. Though if anybody is desperate they can message me for a brief explanation - it *does* rely on a couple of sleights on behalf of the magician, but is performed with a normal deck.

Pseudopath

Here's a nice and easy, but effective trick (although God knows what it's called...probably The Malevolent Mule or something).

1. Give the pack to the spectator to shuffle as they wish
2. Take the pack back from the spectator, then tell them that you can tell a lot about a person by the way they shuffle cards
3. Fan the cards out in front of your face (with the backs facing the spectator) and look through the deck, nodding sagely and saying stuff like "Ah...you have a very interesting shuffle"
4. Look at the two cards on the very left (i.e; the two cards on top of the pack when placed face down)
5. Tell the spectator that you can predict what cards they will pick later in the trick, simply based on the way they have shuffled the pack
6. Pick out the two cards which match the value and colour of the two left-most cards and place them face-down on the table. For example, if the two cards on the left are the Ace of Spades and Four of Hearts, pick out the Ace of Clubs and Four of Diamonds
7. Now hand the cards back to the spectator and ask them to start deal as many cards as they wish onto the table one-by-one, face down and on top of each other  
8. Once they have dealt two cards, tell them that they can also deal cards from the bottom of the pack if they wish
9. Tell the spectator to stop dealing whenever they wish
10. Once they have stopped dealing, take away any cards left in their hand and put them to one side
11. Tell them to pick up the cards that they have dealt on the table and start dealing them alternately into two separate piles
12. Once all of the cards have been dealt, ask them to turn over the top card of each pile
13. Say "Abracadabra" with a flourish and turn over your two prediction cards. Shazam! Your prediction cards are the same colour and suit as their top two cards

Of course, if you go through the dealing procedure in your mind, it's obvious that the top two cards of the shuffled deck will end up being the top two cards of their two piles. But, as the spectator handles the cards for 90% of the trick and seems to have so much choice in what is dealt, they rarely figure this out.

Steven

I've only just read some of the Derren Brown musings in t'other thread from the link here, and feel as if I might have been slightly patronising now! As I see it, Derren is a hypnotist and magician, and yes he does practice NLP, but for 'tricks' to work, they have to be 100% proof. NLP is far too risky to be used to gain the effects in his tricks, but I think he does use elements of it to garnish his tricks.. though not disturbing the final outcome of a trick, if the risks pay off they will help the trick seem all the more miraculous if they do work.

Credit must be due though for actually devising psychological red-herrings woven into the fabric of his tricks to misdirect the audience though, I think that's what makes the tricks so interesting and more fun to try and work out.

Here's another trick that's very quick that I came up with to test some of the NLP methods. It's worked every time I've tried it on people, but I don't think it's 100% proof.

Give the deck to the spectator to shuffle face down, in any manner they desire, turn your back, ask them to cut the pack and to note the card at face of the pack they hold, then replace it on the lower half, squaring the deck so as to give you no clue. You then ask them to name 3 cards, in any order they like, to give you the name of their chosen card, and 2 other imaginary cards from the deck. When they do this, look into their dreamy eyes and hopefully the retina will go to your left as they name each imaginary card, and to the right for their chosen card. You then fish these cards from the deck, another help is that since most people will cut the deck near the middle the card you have a suspicion of being the right one will probably reside somewhere near there. You then place these 3 cards face up in front of the spectator, asking them to say "Yes" to the question "Is this your card?" even if it is not. You now ask this question whilst pointing to whichever of the cards you believe isn't theirs, then it is up to you to which to point to next, if you quickly point to the correct card, they will probably skip a beat in answering and say Yes even quicker, and you pick up the correct card without even having to point to all 3, which will seem even more miraculous. If you are still unsure you can go through all 3 and see if there is a difference in timing/intonation to their "yes", the odd one out should be their card.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Schlippy"Demonstration + Explanation

80MB, 15 minutes running time.
Wow, just watched this - thanks a lot! Where did it come from?