Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Out of this World' (Card trick)

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, August 04, 2005, 01:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duffy

Agreed: that was superb! Derren's version requires far more skill than the normal flavour of the trick, but it's correspondingly more impressive. The video  seems almost like a 'members only' Magic Circle thing.

Pseudopath

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"
Quote from: "Schlippy"Demonstration + Explanation

80MB, 15 minutes running time.
Wow, just watched this - thanks a lot! Where did it come from?
I think it's from The Devil's Picturebook, a video Derren released when he "gave up" close-up magic to focus on mentalism. In fact, he still uses a lot of close-up techniques in his current repertoire, but understandably doesn't want people thinking it's all sleight-of-hand.

More info here: http://www.magicweek.co.uk/magic_reviews/review_video_devils_picture_book.htm

Pseudopath

For an incredible card trick, take a look at this guy!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/invisiblecards.html

How the fff...

Chers penis

I recently bought a DVD about card tricks and It's presented by jerry sadowitz. The DVD is exempt from classification so Jerry is totally normal and polite, it's the most shocking material I've ever seen him do.

A Passing Turk Slipper

What's the DVD called, just out of interest, and what kind of tricks are covered, is it some of the advanced stuff Sadowitz does? Loved his close up and card stuff on the Pall Bearers Revue.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Pseudopath"For an incredible card trick, take a look at this guy!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/invisiblecards.html

How the fff...
Nah, I reckon I've figured that one out, one sec I'll just watch it a couple more times then I'll write an explanation.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

He doesn't palm the first card, for a start - he just says he does. And he makes the card appear by...having two already on the table (on top of each other), one of which he flicks slightly?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, it's mainly a series of double lifts and stuff. I'll write it it all up later I think, I've got nothing else to do.

Steven

I didn't know that the above link was an extract from Derren Brown's video, I can't say I agree with someone posting explanations from it here, I think giving explanations of someone else's intellectual property on an individual basis is quite different from posting them up the net for everyone to see, even people who just type 'Derren Brown EXPOSED' into a search engine. Though this part of the forum is member-only, so I suppose it's not that damaging. Ok, cuntyness /off...

This isn't really a trick, more a principle that can be used for lots of tricks, I've been racking my brains over a the best kind of presentation for an effect I want utilising this, but once you move past a certain stage it starts to get very, very complicated...

Arrange the deck so it alternates black/red or red/black cards all the way through, you can flick through the deck openly as people REALLY won't notice this set-up at all.. you can even over-hand shuffle it as long as it's a full cut each time, and the order will remain in the alternating pattern. Then simply cut the deck anywhere, preferably near the middle.. BUT make sure the face card of the bottom of the deck is a different colour to the face of the cut. Give both halves to someone to riffle-shuffle together, it can be as messy as they like, as long as both halves go together this will work. Now the magic happens, thanks to a principle of binary mathematics.. all the cards will now alternate in pairs, the pairs will be random due to the shuffle but ALWAYS either be pairs of red/black or black/red the whole way through the deck. This can be used a number of ways, a simple way is then ask the person to deal the deck into two piles, then to choose one. The 2 piles will now be mirror opposites of eachother. You can pick either one they have a preference for and then deal the cards face up in rows to your liking.. just make sure you remember what order you dealt them from 1 to 26... you can then get them tp pick up the other deck and you can predict the colours of each card before they deal it by simply looking at the first card previously dealt and remembering that the card you are about to deal will be the OPPOSITE colour.. so let's say the first card on the table is BLACK.. you predict the first as RED.. and ask them to deal it onto any random red card layed out on the table, and repeat this for each card. (If you dealt each predicted card onto the other of it's pair it will be a fucking giveaway when you turn them over and they are all opposite colours!) Deal them face down if you want to turn them all over at the end for a big finish, or just turn each one over after you've predicted for a culminative effect.

Of course. instead of dealing the cards out after the two piles are dealt, you could just ask the person to take their chosen deck into another room, pick up the first face down card and stare at it while you get an 'impression' of the colour, then you can shout this to them.. which you do by simply looking at your own top card and calling the opposite again... oooh spooky! You are now PSYCHICSSS!  It would be simpler and quicker to just ask someone to deal 4 piles instead of 2, then you will have the 2 left piles being opposites and the right 2 being opposites.. whichever someone chooses.. you pick up the mirroring pack and could do 'both' effects, which each pair of packets. There are lots of other things you can do with this principle but it starts to get very very complicated when you move through the stages... ! Good luck.

A Passing Turk Slipper

That's a really interesting trick Steven, cheers! Wouldn't the ripple shuffle have to be perfect for it to work though? And if you're giving it to someone to shuffle then the chances are they aren't going to do a perfect ripple shuffle? Or am I missing something? I'll have to give that a go anyway.
I love that invisible cards trick, I've worked out most of it now but he does it really quickly so I'm still not 100%. He's really skilled though, that guy, the swap at about 34-35 seconds in when he puts the ace of diamonds on the table is particularly slick. One thing I'm not sure on though (and maybe one of the more knowledgeable magic whores could help me) is at about 43-44 seconds in when he is holding the two cards, does he show the ace of hearts twice when he says he has the two red aces? He does it very quickly and in a way that suggests to me that he is in fact only showing it twice rather than also showing the diamonds which I'm pretty sure is already on the table. At that point I thought he is only holding the ace of hearts and the eight of spades, ready for the last bit when he has the spades on top of the ace, shows the ace then puts the spades on the deck and leaves the ace on top of the other aces. I'm sorry this post is so muddled, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Steven

It doesn't have to be a perfect riffle-shuffle at all, in fact the less perfect the better as the pairs will be more random! If you remember that both packs are being pushed together and are alternating.. whatever card one side hits will be the opposite of it.. might be hard to visualise but it can all be explained in math as the red/black are just like 1s and 0s in binary code. The fact that you can leave the pack in the specators hands the whole time for this makes it seem all the more impressive because they will instantly assume you're glimpsing/messing with the pack as the deal is taking place. Sending them to another part of the room when you call out the colours also takes away the notion you could be using marked backs also. The important thing is not to be seen to be concentrating on the cards you're having to read from, or this will give the method away, always act like the cards that have been dealt onto the table, or that you hold are incidental and you've forgotten they're even there. Coming up with convicing conceits is the major difficulty in magic like this. One minor subtlety that will enhance the trick is when you cut the pack to note the two differing face colours, note which pile hits the table first when the spectator riffles, if it was say a Black card.. when the cards are dealt into piles you will know that this card will be the final card dealt.. so when the spectator picks this pack you can tell them to deal that first Black card before the trick even begins.. enhancing the notion that you are using untold powers rather than just gormlessly reading the cards, if they pick the other deck, simple.. you KNOW it will be the opposite colour - RED!

I had a quick look at  theclip above, talented he may be but he's got a really annoying voice.. before it panned up I was convinced they were the hands of Jay Sankey himself! I'm assuming he's actually using 5 cards the whole way through the trick, the conceit is he's doubling the 5th non-Ace card with one of the others when he deals it, then simply doubles another ace againt an ace in the other hand and pushing the two on the table apart, making the teleportation effect, you can see him unload this card near the end of the trick to leave his hands clean with only 4 Aces. The real skill is keeping track of this card the whole way through so you only ever see the back of it, plus moving moving moving so the brain can never catch up!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, I think he's just using the 4 aces and the 8 of spades which, as you say he unloads at the end of the trick. I'm still not sure if he is showing the ace of hearts twice though, it would be pretty risky to do that which is why I'm not so sure. Maybe he makes a swap which I haven't managed to catch yet.